Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Battery not charging.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Battery not charging. Empty
PostSubject: Battery not charging.   Battery not charging. EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 am

Runs till it runs out of battery juice then of course croaks. Any easy things to check before I start looking at the major stuff?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Battery not charging.   Battery not charging. EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

oic0 wrote:
Runs till it runs out of battery juice then of course croaks. Any easy things to check before I start looking at the major stuff?
How old is the battery? Maybe have some one do a load check on that first.

One easy thing to do is check the voltage across the battery when the bike is not running. Should be around 12V. Then start the bike. The voltage should increase my guess at idle would be between 12.8 and 13.4V. Rev the motor a bit and it may climb to 14.5 or so. If it gets much higher than that (16-18V) you may want to replace the R/R.

Other than that I would look at some of the electrical connections to the Stator and R/R and make sure those are good.

If that is good I would probably check resistance across the stator coils with a GOOD volt meter. The service manual should have the limits.

If the stator checks out good then I would probably replace the R/R since I have never had much luck checking those.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Battery not charging.   Battery not charging. EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am

I should a mentioned battery is brand new since that was my first guess. I'll break out the multimeter when I get home. R/R is 100, stator is $150. Hope its neither. Been trying to sell the bike, not spend money on it. Glad I caught the issue instead of a buyer though. Would hate someone to think I sold em a lemon.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Battery not charging.   Battery not charging. EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 1:45 pm

oic0 wrote:
I should a mentioned battery is brand new since that was my first guess. I'll break out the multimeter when I get home. R/R is 100, stator is $150. Hope its neither. Been trying to sell the bike, not spend money on it. Glad I caught the issue instead of a buyer though. Would hate someone to think I sold em a lemon.
Before you spend money on parts make sure to check all of the electrical connections. Look for loose connections, corrosion, damage, and terminal push outs.

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Battery not charging.   Battery not charging. EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Didnt fix it all winter :(
Battery was pretty low when I just started it now. Needed help from a battery charger to get started. It was farting and running like crap for a while then just kinda poof it was running fine and I noticed the lights directly linked to how high the motor was revving. Sound like something is loose somewhere?

Would drive it to my old mans to go all through it but when I pulled it over to the side of the road that last time when it croaked, it picked up a nail in the rear tire. Uggggggg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery not charging.   Battery not charging. Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery not charging.
Page 1 of 1