Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

gas question

Go down 
+7
oldirt
SpiritWolf15
drater
SheWolf
Nice Rumble
Krabill
inspector
11 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

gas question Empty
PostSubject: gas question   gas question EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm

What is the range (stock everything)? Haven't found a gas bottle yet so haven't tested out from fill to empty. Tried to figure out the mpg today, but must have messed up. 88 miles and the fuel light comes on, can't be right.

Looking at how many miles till fuel light then how many miles after that till empty.

*i know it matters how you are riding, just normal everyday stuff.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Why can't it be right? The light usually comes on when there is somewhere around 1/2 gallon left. That means you've used about 1.5 gallons so far. 88/1.5 = 59 mpg. Sounds like it's in the ballpark.
Back to top Go down
Nice Rumble

Nice Rumble

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:39 pm

136 miles to empty verified by Bigdog on his Arizona ride in January. He intentionally ran it dry to see how far he could go on a tank. He had an extra 1 1/2 gallons in his saddlebag to keep going.

gas question 1184AMarkGas

gas question 1185AMarkFillingGastank

gas question 144A136MilesOutOfGas
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:45 pm

I got 83mpg right out of the crate. Now I'm at 86, so I'm not complaining. I'm running 94 octane in it. but then I run that in all my gas pots, including the snow blower. thumb

inspector

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 pm

cool thumb

thank's guys (use it figuatively).

*the reason I thought it was wrong because to fill it only put in .881 gallons. Did something wrong, but don't know what because this was over two weekends and can't remember which trip meter i was using.
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 11:16 am

i have a question about how high are you guys filling the tank? are you guys going above the filler plate? i fill my up! and i go about 96 and thats riding hard. the mileage seems to have gotten better when the bike broke in.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 11:56 am

I go right up the neck, and have the bike upright and not on the stand. I also swoosh it a bit from side to side and burp the bubbles out of it, give it a little bit more, and then cap it.

SpiritWolf15

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 1:11 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I go right up the neck, and have the bike upright and not on the stand. I also swoosh it a bit from side to side and burp the bubbles out of it, give it a little bit more, and then cap it.

I've gone past the filler plate on every bike I own, and into the cap on most of the cars, no sense loosing out on what on some bikes is close to 1/2 a liter right?

My dad's NSU Max (250 2stroke he rode back when he was my age) got no less than 78 mpg, so a modern, fuel injected, liquid cooled, single cylinder 4 stroke should have no problem getting upwards towards 90 mpg. Heck my RD 350, when she was running got about 60
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 3:09 pm

that's good to hear from you guys, i thought i was breaking the law, again! yeah, that's what i say, fill it up please! get the windows to. ride on guys. thumb
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 12:57 am

drater wrote:
i have a question about how high are you guys filling the tank? are you guys going above the filler plate? i fill my up! and i go about 96 and thats riding hard. the mileage seems to have gotten better when the bike broke in.

It may be different on cal vs the other states, my cal version with the charcoal can removed and the vent line (ovr flow) dangling down along the frame. IF I top the tank off with as much fuel as I can get in it, I leak a cup or so out of the vent line. If you have the canister on, you may not see it leaking, and possibly drawing fuel back through the vents and air intake, at least till the level drops slightly.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 1:07 am

oldirt wrote:
drater wrote:

It may be different on cal vs the other states, my cal version with the charcoal can removed and the vent line (ovr flow) dangling down along the frame. IF I top the tank off with as much fuel as I can get in it, I leak a cup or so out of the vent line. If you have the canister on, you may not see it leaking, and possibly drawing fuel back through the vents and air intake, at least till the level drops slightly.

Only Cali bikes have the vent like that and would spill over. I would think you could block off that vent hose and get a 49 state gas cap. I bet the 49 state cap is vented and the Cali cap is not. Anyone know for sure?

Also your Cali tank is smaller than the rest of the world's WR's. Sucks to be you guys.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 1:11 am

OMG...did I just hear an 'It sucks to be you?!!' eeek poser2

oldirt

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 2:16 am

SheWolf wrote:

On the left side of your tank along the bottom, do you have a hose attatched with a 90 degree filter looking "thing" ?
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 am

Nice Rumble wrote:
136 miles to empty verified by Bigdog on his Arizona ride in January. He intentionally ran it dry to see how far he could go on a tank. He had an extra 1 1/2 gallons in his saddlebag to keep going.

gas question 144A136MilesOutOfGas

I just read this adventure. NICE!!!!!
Back to top Go down
WeaveR

WeaveR

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I got 83mpg right out of the crate. Now I'm at 86, so I'm not complaining. I'm running 94 octane in it. but then I run that in all my gas pots, including the snow blower. thumb

miles per imperial gallon... correct?
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:51 pm

mwakey wrote:
oldirt wrote:
drater wrote:

Only Cali bikes have the vent like that and would spill over. I would think you could block off that vent hose and get a 49 state gas cap. I bet the 49 state cap is vented and the Cali cap is not. Anyone know for sure?

Also your Cali tank is smaller than the rest of the world's WR's. Sucks to be you guys.

I can confirm that the California gas cap is a different part number than the 49 state gas cap. The 49 state cap is vented, and the Cali cap is non-vented. Fuel tanks are different part number too, because of the additional vent hose fitting on the Cali bikes for the charcoal can. There is a check valve in line from the tank hose to the charcoal can which is required by Cali for tip overs. 49 state bike have none of this and the fuel tank vents through the cap.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 12:58 am

Miles per gallon is bang on, bud. thumb

ZED

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 am

SheWolf wrote:
Livinig in the B.C. interior you likely need a snow-blower that drinks hi-test too! thumb

WeaveR wrote:

miles per imperial gallon... correct?

Busted! hide

My wife's XT225 got about 106mpg one week. It was only an estimate because the tank just didn't want to run out of fuel so we don't know for sure, but it does get better than my WRX. I plan on carrying an MSF stove fuel bottle on each bike this summer when we go back roading.
Back to top Go down

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Dunno about range per se.....

But after 1,400 miles on the bike tracking mileage (per the odo) and gallons of gas added, I've averaged 63 mpg (US gallons)

My riding is about 66% forestry roads, 33% pavement................(the other 1% is secret *wink*)
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 2:27 am

InTheSticks wrote:
... I've averaged 63 mpg (US gallons)
Woohoo! An american that understands there are different units of measure! thumb

InTheSticks wrote:

My riding is about 66% forestry roads, 33% pavement................(the other 1% is secret *wink*)
You've gotta admit that it's hard to resist those construction sites on this little thing. wink
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Here is my contribution to the fuel economy discussion:

13/46 gearing, AIS removed, HF airbox flapper mod
FMF PP, Power Bomb header and Q4 pipe
D606 tires
Tank and saddlebags holding approximately 35lbs. with 150lbs rider plus riding gear

50 miles of pavement (GPS reading 71-86 MPH), 30 miles of hard trail riding (jumps, wheelies, hill climbs, creek crossings)

Odometer reading 81.3 miles (fuel light came on at 75.3 miles)
GPS reading 77.0 miles
Total fuel usage = 1.534 US gals of Premium 91 octane.

ODO = 54.17 MPG
GPS = 50.19 MPG

That is a far cry from the 70+MPG I read some people reporting, but if I can top 50MPG the way I ride, I have nothing to complain about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

gas question Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas question   gas question Empty

Back to top Go down

gas question
Page 1 of 1