Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

More fuel pump problems??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wildmotha

wildmotha

More fuel pump problems?? Empty
PostSubject: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 am

Alright, well, some of you know the history of my bike....if not, look at the "WRR Rescue" thread.

Since all of that crap I've installed a new tank a 'tude box and removed the AIS. I thought it would solve the wierd not-so-smooth-idle and the stalling. It still does not idle as smooth as the other bikes I've heard. The stalling is virtually gone, but still I can stall it if I open the throttle a certain way..... scratch

My question is: Is this a fuel pump issue? I've put over 2k on the machine since I bought it. Is it time for a FI pressure or volume test tell me if my pump is bad?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 6:35 am

Is the idle speed too low?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:02 am

Fuel injection performance is directly related to fuel pressure so I would certainly take a pressure reading at the fuel rail and see what it is compared to stock specs. It can also be possible you have a clogged fuel injector(s) with the history of the bike, it could also be the culprit.

I see on eBay right now, someone is parting out a WR... May be able to pick up a new FI Throttle Body. I did notice he was a bit pricey on alot of stuff though...
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:27 am

YZEtc wrote:
Is the idle speed too low?

Can't say for sure as I don't have a digi-tach. But I turned it up, regardless, to see if it would smooth out.....negative, it got a little bit higher (after going out about 3/4 turn), but still does not idle perfectly smooth.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am

SpaGuru wrote:

I see on eBay right now, someone is parting out a WR... May be able to pick up a new FI Throttle Body. I did notice he was a bit pricey on alot of stuff though...

I saw that. He's also selling the pump and tank as a combo...maybe i'll email him and see if he'll give me the pump cheap. I have cleaned the injector and also sprayed some fuel into a paper towel to make sure it was clean and comming out of all the holes.

I don't have the resources to conduct the pressure test. Maybe there's still some crud effecting the valve clearence which would effect the idle aswell. I'm about due for an oil change i'll throw a little "motor-flush" in there and see what happens... dunno
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:02 pm

wildmotha wrote:
SpaGuru wrote:

I saw that. He's also selling the pump and tank as a combo...maybe i'll email him and see if he'll give me the pump cheap. I have cleaned the injector and also sprayed some fuel into a paper towel to make sure it was clean and comming out of all the holes.

I don't have the resources to conduct the pressure test. Maybe there's still some crud effecting the valve clearence which would effect the idle aswell. I'm about due for an oil change i'll throw a little "motor-flush" in there and see what happens... dunno

I wouldn't throw any "motor-flush" in there.........they do more harm (or nothing at all) than good. Check the valves and do a compression check. If you are good, then I'd look at the injector or possibly weak spark (bad plug/coil).
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Quote :
He's also selling the pump and tank as a combo...maybe i'll email him and see if he'll give me the pump cheap.
If you buy both and don't want the tank, I'll buy the tank from you. Send me an email for price: [ ramz at rickramsey dot net ]

If you don't act soon, I'll probably buy the tank/pump from eBay and then sell you the pump; it won't be cheap eeek Very happy
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 pm

Refresh our (my) memory. Did you replace the fuel pump after you got the bike or just clean it out? Maybe it's just the filter in the tank or the pump is finally going bad. Even though you said you checked the injector, you may still have some junk in there. It may be worth seeing if you can buy that injector and/or throttle body on eBay. Another thought... Have you tried a new spark plug yet? I doubt your valves are the culprit and I would not recommend any oil additive as mentioned above. You will cause more problems. Junk in your oil is probably not going to effect your idle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 9:36 pm

The FIRST thing to do is get a fuel pressure test at the fuel bar. It is simple enough and you can probably make a test rig to do it. This is the FIRST thing any mechanic will check on a fuel injected motor....
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 9:03 am

While the WR has a pretty high valve adjustment interval and if I remember correctly, yours is pretty low mileage, I think I'd still want to check the clearances just to be sure. I've seen enough street bikes with valves so tight they never fully closed. Compression drops and they become hard to start and won't idle. Considering the history of your bike though, fuel pressure should be the first thing to check. The pump may be fine but maybe the regulator is messed up ? dunno
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 pm

mwakey wrote:
Refresh our (my) memory. Did you replace the fuel pump after you got the bike or just clean it out? Another thought... Have you tried a new spark plug yet? .

Nope, just replaced the tank and thoroughly cleaned the pump and teabag type filter 3 or 4 times. Also cleaned the injector and I did replace the plug. I'm not a mechanic so doing a valve clearence check is kind of scary, but I guess I can try.

Spaguru: Can you help me make a rig to do a pressure check? I'm 95% sure there is somesort of hiccup with the fuel pump, and this is why I have a wierd idle. The shop tool seems to be quite pricey and the stealer will charge at least an hours worth of labor.

I've put 2k on the bike since all of this and it runs good. I was hoping over time everything would get better, but it's only improved slightly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 am

I will need to look closer at the bike nad the manual but basically you just need a gauge that is within the spec range and get it to attach to the fuel rail where the test is taken. This can usually be accomplished by various adapter fittings and a short piece of flexible hose with fittings on it...
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Hmm, maybe I can rig an adapter to my compression tester?? ....It has a reading for 250 Kilopascals
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 pm

Check out page 7-6 in the shop manual. It talks about how to do the test and how the pressure can be adjusted...
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 12:13 am

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 am

SpaGuru wrote:
Check out page 7-6 in the shop manual. It talks about how to do the test and how the pressure can be adjusted...

Just to clarify... You can not "adjust" the fuel pressure on this bike. The manual page you refer to is showing you how to test the regulator with the mighty vac tool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 10:59 am

mwakey wrote:
SpaGuru wrote:

Just to clarify... You can not "adjust" the fuel pressure on this bike. The manual page you refer to is showing you how to test the regulator with the mighty vac tool.

In the manual, you CAN andjsut the fuel pressure on the bike with the regulator according to the vacuum applied... This could tell you if the regulator or fuel pump is defective, or if you have an obstruction or leak in the vacuum line to the regulator... But mwakey is correct, the regulator can not be adjusted up or down, it is vacuum dependant..
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm

I guess what I meant to say is one cannot raise or lower the fuel pressure and leave it that way. This procedure is for testing purposes. There is no way to permanently adjust fuel pressure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More fuel pump problems??   More fuel pump problems?? Empty

Back to top Go down

More fuel pump problems??
Page 1 of 1