Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need opinion on bike

Go down 
+3
dmmcd
YZEtc
manybikes
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manybikes

manybikes

Need opinion on bike Empty
PostSubject: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 1:44 am

Looked at a very low mileage (about 2400miles) WR250X today.
Bike looks real good but the throttle is sticking, it does not seem to have any return, when you twist it if feels like something is making it bind at about half throttle.
I didn't ride it due it is winter where I am.

Any Ideas on what could be with the throttle ?
Back to top Go down
manybikes

manybikes

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:02 am

I have found a partial article about throttle binding on ADV Rider.
It said it could be the TPS but was really unclear as to how difficult it may be to solve it.

The binding is very noticeable, It would be very difficult if not impossible to ride with the way it is.
Back to top Go down
manybikes

manybikes

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:26 am

I have found more info doing a search, it may not be a TPS problem.
I did look carefully at the end of the throttle grip to see if it was binding on the hand guards but did not appear to be doing so.

Anyone have a TPS problem that caused very noticeable binding? Or would it more likely be just the throttle tube binding.
The owner said it started binding after a parking lot fall over…but it fell on the clutch side.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:46 am

This is common an a motorcycle that has been used by somebody allergic to wrenches and screwdrivers and feels puzzled by them.

Common causes:

Often, the bike has fallen over and the throttle tube is now rubbing on something it should not be rubbing on.
This is usually due to either the throttle assembly being shoved to the left and the throttle tube/grip making contact with the end of the handlebar or handguard mount (mega friction), or the throttle tube being cracked/broken/damaged and rubbing on the handlebar (mega friction).

Sometime, it's simply from dirt/grit getting jammed in there from one too many crashes.

Sometime, it's simply because the guy created the problem when he removed all of the throttle cable free play.

Sometime, it's because the guy installed new grips and he capped-off the job by installing the throttle side grip in a manner that has it rubbing on the handlebar.
Sometime, grip glue used oozes where it should not be and tries to glue movable parts together.

If you were to walk through a used dirt bike showroom and twisted the throttle grips on a couple dozen used dirt bikes, I bet you'd see this on more than one bike.
The funny part is that fixing it ain't rocket science, yet the owner of the bike just lets it stay that way.

The solution is to pretty much disassemble the throttle assembly up on the handlebar, clean, inspect, replace any wrecked parts, and put it back together properly.

I would not mess with the TPS or anything else other than the throttle grip portion of the bike unless it is proven otherwise.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 8:28 am

Yeah, I'm sure it would be an easy fix. But it does raise the question of the owner's maintenance ability... Take a good look at it, but if the throttle is the only issue, use it to talk down the price!  deal 
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 9:08 am

Does it have handguards? If not properly installed, handguards can cause the throttle tube to bind.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 am

Might want to check the throttle cables as well. Poorly routed, damaged, or binding cables can cause a sticky throttle. While you are looking at the throttle tube, also check the cable housing on the handlebar. I've seen more than a few brand new bikes directly from the factory that the cables were not lubed properly. Just enough lube smeared on them so it looked like someone had done their job. Also check where the cables attach to the TB. I had a bike that the cams on the TBs were dry and binding. A good shot of dry lube (of your choice) took care of that.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:30 pm

YZEtc wrote:

Often, the bike has fallen over and the throttle tube is now rubbing on something it should not be rubbing on.

This ^^

it happened to me before I had my hand guards installed. went down on the right side, throttle stuck in whatever position I left it in (nice cruise control actually). the fix was as easy as loosening the bolts and move the whole assembly back into the right position. (although by just looking at it you couldn't really tell it had something wrong with it)
Back to top Go down
manybikes

manybikes

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks for the input all.
I suspect you are all correct in that it was a simple drop or mis-adjustment that has caused the problem.

I know what you mean about maintenance, the bike is an 08 and has about 2100 miles! I don't think he was much on maintenance.

The only marks on the bike is some black paint off the frame where boots rubbed on the left side and some scuffs on the bar ends from some drops.
Not sure how easy it might be to cheat on mileage (unless he used a vapor dash for 20k miles) but it doesn't look like it.

Also comes with a set of never used SM Pro 18/21" dirt wheels.
No tires, sprocket or rotor but still not a cheap item (has gold hubs, looks nice)

Back to top Go down
Smashey

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 am

sweet that's a hefty bonus :) regardless of maintenance what harm can a guy do in 2100 miles...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need opinion on bike   Need opinion on bike Empty

Back to top Go down

Need opinion on bike
Page 1 of 1