Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New or used question please give me your opinion!

Go down 
+9
Berwyn Henderson
josh
motokid
X-Racer
SoupSandwich
KLRchickie
mucker
spacecadet
jtmajors
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jtmajors

New or used question please give me your opinion! Empty
PostSubject: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I want to get your opinions. I'm in the market for a WRR and here in Texas they seem really hard to find and most dealers don't have new ones. However today I found a new 08 for $5100 + ttl. No other fees associated with it from the dealer. Other option is a used 2010 with 900 miles on it for $5000. Which would you choose and are either of them listed at a very good price.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 pm

both seem high, lowball and see if they counter offer.
Back to top Go down
jtmajors

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:03 pm

spacecadet wrote:
What would you offer? Talked to the Yamaha Dealer here in Arlington, TX and he told me if I can find one snatch it up even if they are asking 1 million dollars. Said great bikes but very hard to come by. Said Yamaha didn't make enough of them and with the earthquakes in Japan it's really hurting the dealers to get more.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:07 pm

I recently bought an '08, had some cool mods, almost half the price of a new one. At 9000kms it seems like a new one only better because the mods help and it was broken in, raring to go.
My buddy recently got a '10 left over. Breaking it in and worrying about warranty is drivin him nuts, plus he's comparing to my modded bike...double whammy.
I planned on a new one at first but am glad i choosed used in the end. Money saved can go towards gear that directly improves the whole experience.
I dont regret a thing yet.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:37 pm

mucker wrote:

My buddy recently got a '10 left over. Breaking it in and worrying about warranty is drivin him nuts,

Suspect New or used question please give me your opinion! Headscratch

I bought a leftover '08 X last summer for a screaming deal Very happy. I took it out every afternoon for an hour or two on suburban city streets to break it in, that was done in a week. New or used question please give me your opinion! Coffee

How is warranty a worry? I do what I want with my bike, I believe I technically have one more month on the warranty - it hasn't stopped my from riding it any old way I please thumb

As to the OP - I can't really comment on whether the prices are good or not, but with that close of a price I'd likely take the new one & know it's broken in right. I wouldn't be afraid of a used one if it was a better deal though!
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Honestly for $100 I would go with the '08. I bought my '08 last year with 0 miles on it and I paid around $4300. The great thing about the '08 is it has been probably sitting on their lot for a few years and they have to pay taxes on it each year so I would go in there and make a low ball offer around $4500 for the '08. Good luck and remember money talks (cash that is).
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:15 pm

SoupSandwich wrote:
I would go in there and make a low ball offer around $4500 for the '08. Good luck and remember money talks (cash that is).

$4500 OTD ! ...or you could go elsewhere buy one for less and ride it back !

BTW: Cash isn't really a discriminator. Dealers get their money either way. Even MORE if you finance through them. ..and more again if you buy the Y.E.S.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one IF you can make a determination that the person who owned it took care of it. Obviously ask why they are selling it (sniff test for BS ).

My rule of thumb is to look at everything around the bike and if the house is kept up, the car is clean, there is no carnage on the floor of the garage then they probably take care of the bike like they take care of everything else.

...and if you see the wife and she is smiling at you, even better. She doesn't want him to have it so offer less.

Note that (as a general rule) everything used can usually bought for 10% less. I'd offer 10% less, tell him you had two more to look at and if he says "No" walk and tell him to call you if he reconsiders. ~ shrug ~
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:42 pm

jtmajors wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
What would you offer? Talked to the Yamaha Dealer here in Arlington, TX and he told me if I can find one snatch it up even if they are asking 1 million dollars. Said great bikes but very hard to come by. Said Yamaha didn't make enough of them and with the earthquakes in Japan it's really hurting the dealers to get more.

id offer the dealer 3k.

off the guy 3800 for the other one, he will either tell you to go fuck yourself, at which point you just walk away, fuck him anyway, or he will counter offer. Haggle, shop around, try not to just buy the first one you see, they are a little tricky to find, but not that hard. check craigslist.

either way, I hope you can find what your looking for, at a great price! good luck!
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 pm

spacecadet wrote:
jtmajors wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

id offer the dealer 3k.

off the guy 3800 for the other one, he will either tell you to go fuck yourself, at which point you just walk away, fuck him anyway, or he will counter offer. Haggle, shop around, try not to just buy the first one you see, they are a little tricky to find, but not that hard. check craigslist.

either way, I hope you can find what your looking for, at a great price! good luck!

with the guy that has the used one, do what x-racer said, check things out, try to spark some conversation up with the person. If the bike seems legit and you want it, dont beat around the bush, look them right in the eye and say, something like "I like this bike, Whats your bottom line?" hopefully he will shoot you a number, you like, if you dont like it, say something like, thats x amount over my limit would you take x.

like x-racer said if he says yes, Great! if he says no, you can either cave, and pay what he wants, or say well ill have to think about it for a while.

another thing, dont be scared to walk away, as long as you leave on good terms, let the guy know that your interested but not at that price, if he is eager to sell, and nobody grabs it from him in a week, he is going to be alot more willing to unload it.

sorry for the giant incoherent rambling.
Back to top Go down
jtmajors

PostSubject: Thanks   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:09 am

Thanks for all the advice. We'll see what they do tomorrow. These things are a lot less up north and out east of me. Saving the money but paying the gas to go get one might just be a wash. I really want to find a good deal. I have the cash just don't want to over pay. Need to buy some things for my 6000 mile round trip through the continental divide in August.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:15 am

you can ship bikes for like 300$ these days, granted you then have to buy site un-seen.

here is a good example:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/2372825688.html
Back to top Go down
jtmajors

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 1:04 am

spacecadet wrote:
you can ship bikes for like 300$ these days, granted you then have to buy site un-seen.

here is a good example:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/2372825688.html

Im actually going to be in Laramie at the end of June so maybe I'll have to look at some bikes while I'm up there. Seems like prices are better. That was a picture of an x. Is the only difference between the x and the r the wheels? Is the engine or gearing different at all? I know the x has a larger front brake, but maybe x's are more prevalent and I could just get an 18/21 wheel set for the dirt. Just want to make sure the engine and gearing is the same.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 am

ah sorry i thought you were looking for an X.

engines are the same, only difference is the wheels, and the things attached to them.

i know i have seen people trade x wheel sets (tires, rims, gears, rotors) for r wheel sets so i guess that could be an option.
Back to top Go down
jtmajors

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:24 am

spacecadet wrote:
ah sorry i thought you were looking for an X.

engines are the same, only difference is the wheels, and the things attached to them.

i know i have seen people trade x wheel sets (tires, rims, gears, rotors) for r wheel sets so i guess that could be an option.

Never considered an X until you sent that. I was really getting this bike for some 5000 mile continental divide trips, but I could buy an X instead, have a blast on it all the other times and then buy an 18/21 wheel set. I've also seen people put 17 inch offroad tires on them, too. Do those work good offroad? Seems like people always suggest the 21 inch front wheel.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:11 am

I dont know about much of anything about dirt/offroad riding, unless golf courses count. Shog
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:53 am

Buy used...the money you save can then be filtered into mods...which you'll do on a new bike as well.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am

spacecadet wrote:
jtmajors wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

id offer the dealer 3k.

these are not lowball number, they are insulting.Fair and reasonable may have a better outcome. Hostile invirnment is not my idea of a good buying experience. IMHO

I paid $3600 for a loaded 08 with 3k miles. I have thrown another $1k+ into customizing. There is no free lunch. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
jtmajors

PostSubject: offer   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 11:54 am

I offered the dealer the used guy $3700. He said forget it. Said he already turned down an offer for $4500 and he's planning to stick to his guns right now. Only been posted a week. Made an offer to another dealer that has an 09 x. $4500 OTD. It was a demo with 100 miles on it. He also had an 11 WRR and offered him 6k out the door for that one. They are thinking about it. Dealer said their cost was $6100 and there are no rebates on this bike. No other used ones in the area.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm

josh wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
jtmajors wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

id offer the dealer 3k.

these are not lowball number, they are insulting.Fair and reasonable may have a better outcome. Hostile invirnment is not my idea of a good buying experience. IMHO

I paid $3600 for a loaded 08 with 3k miles. I have thrown another $1k+ into customizing. There is no free lunch. Good luck.

Retail book value for an 08 in excellent condition is like 3800.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Since I live in Texas I know they are hard to find but for sure would buy a 10 before an 08 at or near the same price if for nothing else the resale value later. Having said that either is a great bike. Doing the western part of the TAT (Colorado to the Oregon coast) late summer on mine. Good luck in finding one, Berwyn
Back to top Go down
skidmarx

skidmarx

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Right. That's what it will be worth after it's bought. KBB retail is not for new bikes.
Hate to say, but it's a sellers market for these things right now. Dealers aren't getting anything in because of the quake and with gas prices up, demand is high. They aren't really dealing much.

Last summer, I could have gotten a killer deal. Economy sucked worse, and dealers still had a lot of leftovers. too bad I didn't have any $$$ then.
I ended up paying $5600 OTD for a new 08 a few weeks ago. That was as low as the 3 very competitive dealers in my area would go.

Sure I paid more than I should have, but you know what, I don't care. The bike is great and I feel it was worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
jtmajors

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:13 pm

skidmarx wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
Right. That's what it will be worth after it's bought. KBB retail is not for new bikes.
Hate to say, but it's a sellers market for these things right now. Dealers aren't getting anything in because of the quake and with gas prices up, demand is high. They aren't really dealing much.

Last summer, I could have gotten a killer deal. Economy sucked worse, and dealers still had a lot of leftovers. too bad I didn't have any $$$ then.
I ended up paying $5600 OTD for a new 08 a few weeks ago. That was as low as the 3 very competitive dealers in my area would go.

Sure I paid more than I should have, but you know what, I don't care. The bike is great and I feel it was worth every penny.

Looks like if I want one I'll have to adopt you're attitude. Haha!
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:36 pm

the feelings of what you paid will fade.
the feelings of what you got or had, will linger.
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:39 pm

mucker wrote:
the feelings of what you paid will fade.
the feelings of what you got or had, will linger.

AAAAAHHHH, well said little grasshopper. bow
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:54 pm

KLRchickie wrote:
mucker wrote:

My buddy recently got a '10 left over. Breaking it in and worrying about warranty is drivin him nuts,

Suspect New or used question please give me your opinion! Headscratch

I bought a leftover '08 X last summer for a screaming deal Very happy. I took it out every afternoon for an hour or two on suburban city streets to break it in, that was done in a week. New or used question please give me your opinion! Coffee

How is warranty a worry? I do what I want with my bike, I believe I technically have one more month on the warranty - it hasn't stopped my from riding it any old way I please thumb

As to the OP - I can't really comment on whether the prices are good or not, but with that close of a price I'd likely take the new one & know it's broken in right. I wouldn't be afraid of a used one if it was a better deal though!

The warranty worries are that he's itchin to mod it, but at the risk of voiding warranty.
Neither of us were liscenced for the street till recently...therefore a 1600 km break in, off road, seemed way off at the time...even now he's at 1000 km.
Mean while I'm just givin 'er all she got and havin a ball...not givin a shit. Guess that makes him a bit jealous somehow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New or used question please give me your opinion!   New or used question please give me your opinion! Empty

Back to top Go down

New or used question please give me your opinion!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next