Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cooling fan blade failure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
4play

4play

Cooling fan blade failure Empty
PostSubject: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 10:37 pm

I was nearly to the top of the main hillclimb on Rug Road in AZ when one of my bud's stopped & I see a red light on my dash that I've never seen on before. Crap

The star shaped thingy is supposed to be encased in the plastic fan blade

Cooling fan blade failure Photo1

Cooling fan blade failure Photo2

I thought about JB weld on the trail but the thing had wallowed out so far there was no way to center it & it had eaten itself enough that it was going to rub on the motor housing unless I could space it out with something.
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

Exact same thing happened to me. But the fan rubbed a hole through the rad.
I got Yamaha to replace the rad and fan assembly under warranty.
I think this is a problem with a number of people. I don't think the fan (plastic) is rugged enough to take the heat and just loosens off by melting the center out of it.

I had tried fixing the fan myself before I got the warranty replacement.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9799-fan-blade-fell-off-wtf
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 pm

I was under the impression that this happens when a crash or two pushes the radiator into contact with the fan.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 pm

No evidence of a rub or anything else to make me think this was caused by abuse on my 4200 mile 2008
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 11:05 am

YZEtc wrote:
I was under the impression that this happens when a crash or two pushes the radiator into contact with the fan.

Nope!
I had a perfectly straight radiator.
The fan motor and assembly were all in prefect shape.
Just the fan (blades) was melted at the center where it attaches to the fan motor.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Mine did the same thing.

Im not 100% sure but I think I drove sand into the fan blade when I crashed once jamming it up causing it to strip, I have no rad damage or anything from crashing.

I screwed and glued (with automotive goop) mine back together.

You can remove the star shaped piece and drill holes in it then screw it back to the fan from the motor side then glue the hell out of it on both sides too.

This repair has been holding up to offroad racing for me.
Back to top Go down
RockiesWR250R

RockiesWR250R

PostSubject: Fan Replacement   Cooling fan blade failure EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 3:56 pm

If you don't mind a 'red' part number (same fan manufacturer) on the 'blue' machine, check out my reply to another post here: https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9768-replacement-fan
Cooling fan blade failure Wr250r11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooling fan blade failure   Cooling fan blade failure Empty

Back to top Go down

Cooling fan blade failure
Page 1 of 1