Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fan blade fell off WTF

Go down 
+3
Rusty Shovel
rvsixer
beee
7 posters
AuthorMessage
beee

Fan blade fell off WTF Empty
PostSubject: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Radiator fan blade fell off the electric motor..............

I laid it down on its side off road, prolly doing a blazing fast 3 miles an hr onto soft dirt. 5 min later the over temp light comes on. Best I can guess my ims 4.7 gal tank flexed and knocked the fan frame.
The frame is not bent and frankly this is BS. This bike has been off road a total of 3 times and it nearly left me stranded. What the hell am I supposed to do with a bike that has a 33% failure rate with out even being flogged on.

So how do I fix this, has anyone relocated the radiator to a better location?
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 pm

beee wrote:
What the hell am I supposed to do with a bike that has a 33% failure rate with out even being flogged on.
OMG that is hysterical poser2 .
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 pm

rvsixer wrote:
beee wrote:
What the hell am I supposed to do with a bike that has a 33% failure rate with out even being flogged on.
OMG that is hysterical poser2 .
I'm not sure I'd file that under "equipment failure." baldy Do you have radiator braces?  Check out THIS THREAD.

Like anything, the WRR will sustain damage if it runs into things.  Proper armor helps.  I've yet to install radiator braces.  Your story may motivate me to get a move on.

But really, "failure rate?"  I don't think its fair to compare impact damage to reliability.

A KTM will destroy itself inexplicably--you'll just be putting along a fire road when the engine suddenly melts into a smoking pile of molten slag.  Why did it happen?  It's anybody's guess.  THAT'S a reliability issue.

amazon
Back to top Go down
beee

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Well I am gonna be tearing into the bike today to see what I can come up with. I can probably glue it back together like others have done, but that won't solve the bigger problem of how fragile it is. I am not to familiar with aftermarket radiator guards, but most protect the front fins, I need side and maybe rear protection, and then it has to play friendly with the ims tank.

I do consider laying the bike down at slow speeds to be normal for a dirt bike. Now while I don't expect Yamaha to take ims fuel tanks into consideration. It does sound like this is a pretty weak link in their system from some other posts I have read.

I was doing really tight single track in 1st gear, the fan was running about 70% of the time before failure. Luckily I was almost back to the truck, about 3 miles out, so I only had to let the bike cool down once, but having to stop every 10 minutes for the temp light to go off would have really sucked earlier in the day.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I have a flatland racing rad guard which covers 90% of the fan on my bike and the fan blade fell off mine too.

Im not sure what hit it, I crashed in a sandy corner on a mx track a couple of rides before I noticed it not working, it may have been running and sand hit it, thats the only thing I can think of unless bottoming out on jumps knocked it off:scratch: 

Its a pretty quick and easy job to remove the fan.

The center of my fan was melted a bit, I had to grind some plastic out of it with a die grinder to get it to go back together straight.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 am

I got to replace mine too on a long trip. What I learned was to check the fan EVERY TIME it gets laid over.  Mine had fallen over in the snow and had enough stuff stuck in there to stop the fan from spinning.  I want to measure the locked rotor current and maybe try down sizing my fuse or adding a resetable solid state breaker that would trip instead of continue to power through the plastic fan. One of these days... For now it is good practice to remember to check it. Mine cost me $180 and several days of riding on vacation. I was about 1000 miles from home at the time. Nobody that I was able to find stocked these fan assemblies... they had to be ordered and shipped out. No drop shipping either. I was thrilled.

Fan blade fell off WTF IMG_20120719_121718-M

Fan blade fell off WTF IMG_20120719_121726-M

Fan blade fell off WTF IMG_20120719_121739-M
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 3:25 pm

My Fan looks the exact same! I really think this is a flaw in the hardware. There is no way that there was anything stuck, or bent, or jammed into the rad/fan assembly.
My fan was melted like that during some single track riding and went into the rad but wasn't noticed until the rad got a hole in it from rubbing.

I'm currently trying to see if it will be covered by the warranty. (it definitely should be)
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Mr. Fisherman wrote:
I got to replace mine too on a long trip. What I learned was to check the fan EVERY TIME it gets laid over.  Mine had fallen over in the snow and had enough stuff stuck in there to stop the fan from spinning.  I want to measure the locked rotor current and maybe try down sizing my fuse or adding a resetable solid state breaker that would trip instead of continue to power through the plastic fan. One of these days... For now it is good practice to remember to check it. Mine cost me $180 and several days of riding on vacation. I was about 1000 miles from home at the time. Nobody that I was able to find stocked these fan assemblies... they had to be ordered and shipped out. No drop shipping either. I was thrilled.

Fan blade fell off WTF IMG_20120719_121718-M

Fan blade fell off WTF IMG_20120719_121726-M

Fan blade fell off WTF IMG_20120719_121739-M

Mine was pretty much the same as yours and I screwed and glued it back together.

I think the fan is built to come apart easily so it wont cut through the rad when they get shoved together, I'd rather ride home with no fan and take the odd break to let the bike cool off than need a new rad if something hits the fan.
Back to top Go down
RockiesWR250R

RockiesWR250R

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 4:00 pm

If you don't mind a 'red' part number (same fan manufacturer) on the 'blue' machine, check out my reply to another post here: https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9768-replacement-fan
Fan blade fell off WTF Wr250r12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fan blade fell off WTF   Fan blade fell off WTF Empty

Back to top Go down

Fan blade fell off WTF
Page 1 of 1