Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First Organized Event

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

First Organized Event Empty
PostSubject: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Did a Turkey Run this past Sunday over here in New England. It was a 34mile loop and I had a great time, but it really kicked my ass. There was quite a bit of mud, and wet roots, and me with my stock Trail Wings and gearing had a hard time. I was in a sea of orange bikes. I got stuck a few times and luckily the guys were kind enough to help me out. I actually ended up head first down a muddy hill with the bike on my leg...stuck. Again, a couple of guys had to help me out and lift the bike off me. The first half my forearm on my throttle side was killing me! Is that the "arm pump" Ive read about. It ended up going away, but was almost a game killer for me. I really had a good time and met some good people but Im now thinking I need to make some changes to the bike. I just got a 48 Rear Sprocket, and I will be purchasing more off-road orientated tires. Any other suggestions as to make my wrr more enjoyable in the New England woods? I love the bike both on roads, and light trails, but this run I did really made me want a full time dirt bike for what I was riding in. Anyone got 5k I can borrow? ;)
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Tires and lower gearing, for sure.
Tire pressure for off-road use around here, which for me is 10 - 12psi.

No doubt that the WR-250R is a good dual-purpose bike, but as you found out, an event like this (with the stock tires, no less) is an eye-opener if you are new to the game.

Get those tires mounted, lower the gearing, and practice and have fun. :)
Oh, and service your air filter after each ride when off-roading.
Back to top Go down
jswr450

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Tires and lower gearing, for sure.
Tire pressure for off-road use around here, which for me is 10 - 12psi.

No doubt that the WR-250R is a good dual-purpose bike, but as you found out, an event like this (with the stock tires, no less) is an eye-opener if you are new to the game.

Get those tires mounted, lower the gearing, and practice and have fun.  :)
Oh, and service your air filter after each ride when off-roading.

What he said.

Better tires will help A LOT. I run more like 15psi, but we have rocks around here, and I'm paranoid about rim damage. A well serviced air filter is the most important maintenance item for engine longevity in my opinion. I clean mine and dip it in a bucket of air filter oil, squeeze out the air bubbles several times, then squeeze out the extra oil. One dry spot on your filter is all it takes to get dirt through it (path of least resistance).

The WR is not the best dirt bike, but it certainly is good enough to do most any trail as long as the rider does their part. I once rode with a guy on a clapped out street legal DR400 in the mud, snow, and ice who had bald tires and he led the way in a group of CR250, CRF450, YZ250s, Husabergs, and me on a WR450. It was humbling to have the guy on the worst bike humiliate everyone.

I like a lot of rebound dampening on the rear shock too.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks for the reply's. I'm sure my ability had a lot to do with me struggling. I did have a blast though, and I will be out there again.
Im probably going to jump on the Dunlop d606 band wagon for the rear tire. Not sure about the front yet.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 2:57 pm

My I suggest a Pirelli MT-43 rear tire. It a trials tire of sorts but it’s a DOT tire.
10-12 PSI for off road and it will hook up on just about anything.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
My I suggest a Pirelli MT-43 rear tire. It a trials tire of sorts but it’s a DOT tire.
10-12 PSI for off road and it will hook up on just about anything.

How about Mud? Im having the most difficulty in the mud.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Were the Orange Machines dual sports or dedicated trail bikes?
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 4:22 pm

gatorfan wrote:

Mostly dedicated trail bikes.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

Mostly dedicated trail bikes.

You were seriously out gunned. Sure, the old axiom -- "it's 90% rider" -- is still true, but still ....
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm a relatively new rider myself but allow me to offer a riding tip re; hill climbing.

Learn to use the clutch going up steep hills. If the bike is bogging on a hill climb, it's easier to feather the clutch and tickle the throttle (to keep the RPMs up and even) than it is to attempt a quick downshift. So it's throttle and clutch, not throttle and gear lever.

Long, steep, choppy hill climbs kept me off the "expert" trails at the off-road park I frequent. As soon as I figured this out I did them all the next day. Literally the next day, and with ease. It was a major breakthrough for me.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Ive been reading and you tubing and saw the same for the hill climbs. Ill give it a go this weekend. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Organized Event   First Organized Event Empty

Back to top Go down

First Organized Event
Page 1 of 1