Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fuel pump problem

Go down 
+104
Jens Eskildsen
rsteiger
asphaltaddict33
keenWR
FJROB
timzim
X-Racer
BCRider
DSO
Bookaroo
chriswh86
johnkol
k1322
Epee
TioJose
WolfpackFBNS
Lord Hornka
kvon
averian
GT-250
vagabondmatt
Monkeynuts
bfgjohno
5S Dude
grw800
jicanew
Rule292
hamish54
Adam.
Jonnythong
Decapsuleux
galland1
Coop
Delta_T
MO-tarder
papi4baby
Silverfz1
airbornediver
jimbop
cambojimmy
sswrx
Heoz
04asphalt
ramz
ballisticexchris
duanew
daggone928
Novy
TwilightZone
tomar19
A66auto
tblumer
Berwyn Henderson
rokka
mr-cave
00PowderSpecial
ratthing
mattnadz
YZEtc
Jäger
wr250x08
Will B
mordicai
Akasy
motokid
jason meacham
DesertRatliff
mwgak
Mach828
edteamslr
oh2RideMore
cryptomundo
mrdoo2
bhmax
Yaozer
skrew
renokjm@gmail.com
Mr.Metal
mhm2a
Jomamaha
denniswrr
nonlinear
SuperSize
malibu_dan
Hertz
BlueAngel
f3joel
ozarkadver
Chadx
Noppy
BluePill
SheWolf
KNjonjo
Chrispy1200
OOk
rydnseek
0007onWR
mwakey
bash3r
inspector
mtb
greer
dirtytrixx400
108 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
wr250x08

fuel pump problem - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Need Advice   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Well I just had the same problem where my bike wouldn't start because of the fuel pump. I'm glad I found this site because it reassured me that this is the problem. It hit 100 Degrees here today and its the first time I had the problem. I parked it in the shade and tried it later when it cooled down and it started up. Problem is, I'm 400 miles from home and kind of feel hesitant to ride it that far now. Do you guys think this will be a constant problem or should I try to have it fixed before I leave? I only have a week before I need to go back. Are there any sites that have the pump ready to ship?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 pm

wr250x08 wrote:
Well I just had the same problem where my bike wouldn't start because of the fuel pump. I'm glad I found this site because it reassured me that this is the problem. It hit 100 Degrees here today and its the first time I had the problem. I parked it in the shade and tried it later when it cooled down and it started up. Problem is, I'm 400 miles from home and kind of feel hesitant to ride it that far now. Do you guys think this will be a constant problem or should I try to have it fixed before I leave? I only have a week before I need to go back. Are there any sites that have the pump ready to ship?
You'd have to check for availability among the usual suspects; you can always order overnight or second day of course if you find it and want it replaced right now.

I don't think you have to worry much about it dying while you're riding home, unless you switch the bike off and it's hot. But, full disclosure, I have never had that problem.

Depending on the circumstances of your bike, if it was an '08 in the problem manufacture date range, I'd be tempted to really work on Yamaha to replace it as a defect issue before I'd buck up to have it replaced. Of course... when you get home, you can always put the original pump back on and then work on them from that point of view.

Guys that take the right approach with Yamaha/put it the right way seem to be able to get Yamaha to replace their fuel pump at Yammy's expense. Big Dog even got his replaced by Yammy even though it was running fine. Maybe he threatened them with his website, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
wr250x08

PostSubject: Thanks   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Alright, I will try to contact Yamaha tomorrow and see what they say. I won't worry about replacing it right away for now. Its 12/07 so I assume its within the date ranges. I will let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
wr250x08

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Well I contacted Yamaha and they acted like they couldn't do anything. They said I could take it to a Yamaha dealership and it "might" be covered. Any suggestions on what I should do? I might just order one then send them my broken one to see if they can reimburse me. I really need to replace this soon. If I order one from one of the parts suppliers, is it a quality fuel pump?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 pm

If you order a new pump from a Yamaha dealer, it will fit perfectly and will work as it should.
This is because it is a genuine Yamaha replacement.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 10:06 pm

hey wr250x08,,I'm going thru the same shit with yamaha,,,my bike is running good now but who knows when and where it will stop working..that's the problem they won't do anything if the bike is running good when I bring it to the dealer...I think they should replace all the pumps that fall within the japan recall,,well I decided to just buy a pump ($220.00 shipped at online cycleparts.com.) and replace it myself..I'm doing it now as I write this,,I stopped to look up the HOW TOO thread on here......Jason
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Check page 5 for a price comparison among some of the online sources.

Sarah

Edit: Sounds like Jason may have found the best price.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 am

I'm going to speculate here...

If you grab reports from all over the 'net where Yamaha has replaced failed fuel pumps in that date range - including stuff like BigDog who I seem to recall got them to agree to change out his pump even though it was running fine - that's an awful lot of information refuting "we don't know what you're talking about". I gather your pumps are in that three month range, correct?

It may also depend on what power consumer agencies have to make their life miserable if they are morally out of the office where you are. And possibly, which Yamaha person you're dealing with.

I might spend the money to get a new pump first. But then I'd either get my money back out of them or make their lives miserable with complaints and letters to regulatory agencies long enough to figure I at least got my money's worth before I quite doing that. If you're annoying and persistent and enough of a hell raiser, they'll generally eat the cost of something like this just so they can get back to business. Even if you're in the wrong.

But I would start by trying the nice approach first.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 9:23 am

here is my pump update,,I finished replacing my pump last night...I got a little ahead of myself and put all the plastic back on before I tested it..the first time I started it up the pump sounded nice and strong when I turned the key..I revved it a few times but it didn't seem right..I rolled down the driveway and pulled out into the road and as soon as I started to give it gas it started to die out,,,,I barely got it up my steep driveway back into the garage..it felt like it did the one time that my pump acted up last august..at this point I was starting to go into panic mode,,I was thinking I bought a bad pump or meesed something when I installed it..so, I took everything apart and put it all back together...I had replaced the sparkplug so I doubled checked it and I'm not sure if the coil was pushed down all the way....After I put everything back together..I changed my FMF fuel programmer settings from'' H-five's" numbers to "10-cup's" numbers----- 2.5,4,4,1,1,1.......I took it for a quick ride up the road and back and everything felt GOOOOOOOD..what a huge relief,,I'm not sure what I did to fix it ,,the fuel line that gets plugged into the bottom of the tank looked a little kinked but after I took eveything apart and then back together again it seemed to fit better when I put the tank on,,,,,,so whatever it was it is all good now..I 'm about to go out and give it a 100+ mile test run..I'm sure everything will be fine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Once again I would like to thank everyone on this forum for your input and'' how to'' threads,,,,,,it gave me the confidence to do it myself......................does anyone have a # for Yamaha so I can try to get them to cover the cost of new fuelpump....................................Jason
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:15 am

1-800-962-7926 per a poster on TT. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803090&page=11

When you call, remind Yamaha the pump is covered under the Emissions Warranty, regardless of age or mileage.

Take the time to read back thru this thread and the TT thread, take notes so you'll have the facts at hand. Write down the name and number of whoever you talk to. Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 pm

build date 2/08
vin 000061

My pump shit the bed twice on me this week. Once with the girlfriend on the back lol, we had to walk it home for a good 20mins. Ordering one from Service Honda today. I`m from Ontario so i`m sure i wont be seeing it for 2-3 weeks Canuckistani

Has anyone from Canada had this problem. I`m gonna give Yamaha Canada a call tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

For sure call them, I hope they do you right.
Back to top Go down
ratthing

ratthing

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 4:27 pm

greer wrote:
1-800-962-7926 per a poster on TT. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803090&page=11

When you call, remind Yamaha the pump is covered under the Emissions Warranty, regardless of age or mileage.

Take the time to read back thru this thread and the TT thread, take notes so you'll have the facts at hand. Write down the name and number of whoever you talk to. Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

I just found this Emissions Warranty, which appears to be legit. It states that the emissions warranty is 11,185 mi (18K km) or 5 years whichever comes first. Mine (which had a pump failure last weekend in 114F heat) is ~600mi over that, so I'm guessing it's gonna be a non-op to try to get Yamaha to do anything about it.

I called Yamaha, the CSR wouldn't even really talk about options without me taking it to the dealer for a diagnosis. Diagnosis runs $100, so I'm looking at a minimum of $150 labor + parts. Probably better off dealing with it myself. If my emissions warranty was still in force, it'd be a different matter.

GAHHHH

=RT=
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Yep that's what I did. Yamaha Canada said they never heard about it before and that my dealer will have to check out the bike first, but my dealer is 2hrs away so screw that. Also they told me if I did any mods to it that they won't even look at it and there's a lot lol. So I said "thanks for nothing, this is my first Yamaha and now my last." I mean I love my Yamaha ALOT but if they can't make things right over a $200 part(that cost them pennies) then there not doing business right. I work in a quality control department and I make sure the customer gets the best! ALWAYS!!!

Just got the new one in today from service honda. There $213 right now. Putting it in tonight. Let's see if it makes a different.

Last edited by mattnadz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Fizzle. Didn't realize the warranty had age/mileage limitations. Aside from the fact that it's been a limited benefit to most folks regardless. Thanks for posting back.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
00PowderSpecial

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 am

Pretty sure my pump is going, I have build #69....the sexiest WR there is for '08! But anyways, I drove to work this morning....130kms....and it cut out 5 times in the last 50k. Lets see if I make it home, I'm suposed to go on a 2500km trip tomorrow, have to try and find a pump today.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 am

mattnadz wrote:
Yamaha Canada said they never heard about it before and that my dealer will have to check out the bike first

You got handed a line of BS. They DO KNOW about it, because I've talked to 3 different people over it since this problem surfaced. Actually more, now that I really think about it. It's easier to just pretend you've never heard of such a problem until someone smacks you in the face with it. fuel pump problem - Page 8 911463

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Today my bike died 9 times only for 1,5 - 2 second but it was during a 50km trip with two stops (for shopping).

I guess it is the pump that is giving up on me.....

I havent got the same sticker as you other guys and girls as im from sweden, but here is what it says:
JYADG202000000591
*2002/24*0219

Dont know what it means but i guess mine is nr 591..... and yes it is a 2008.

I was thinking of giving Yamaha Sweden tomorrow and talk to them about it before i start messing with my lokal dealer.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 am

Today i called Yamaha Sweden.
Phone : 08-6838400
They have telephonetime for technical questions between 09:00 - 10:30 ..... GAHHHH
I talked with a guy called Peter that told me he had never heard about the fuelpump matter..... (why am I not surprised..?)

Anaway he told me to call back on monday and talk with a guy called Stefan Pålsson.

I hope I can reach him then because i would really like to take the chance of getting a new fuelpump....

As I explained above my bike is nr: 591 (what im guessing according to framenumber...)

Mainly writing this to inform other swedes that may encounter same problems and maybe we can also get it replaced for free.
But also if we manage to get that it gives you other guys some fuel to push your countrys yamaha dealer to get it fixed.

Report will come on monday.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 5:53 am

Good Luck!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 6:05 am

mr-cave wrote:
They have telephonetime for technical questions between 09:00 - 10:30 ..... GAHHHH
I talked with a guy called Peter that told me he had never heard about the fuelpump matter..... (why am I not surprised..?)

Anaway he told me to call back on monday and talk with a guy called Stefan Pålsson.

I hope I can reach him then because i would really like to take the chance of getting a new fuelpump....

As I explained above my bike is nr: 591 (what im guessing according to framenumber...)

Mainly writing this to inform other swedes that may encounter same problems and maybe we can also get it replaced for free.
But also if we manage to get that it gives you other guys some fuel to push your countrys yamaha dealer to get it fixed.

Thanks for sharing! Maybe this link can be something to use.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/recall/mc/campaign/2009-05/fuel-pump/index.html

The problem seems to hang around until serial nr 4274. I am very interested how Yamaha Scandinavia will handle this because my serial nr is 2885.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 6:14 am

rokka wrote:
mr-cave wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Maybe this link can be something to use.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/recall/mc/campaign/2009-05/fuel-pump/index.html

The problem seems to hang around until serial nr 4274. I am very interested how Yamaha Scandinavia will handle this because my serial nr is 2885.

I will call Stefan on monday so I can hopefully give U more info on that later.
I already printed that paper out.
And because Im working at a japanese owned company I have some friends here who can read it in japanese directly.
I was even thinking about asking one of my colleagues in japan to call Yamaha directly. LOL scratch

rokka Ill keep you posted....
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:03 am

Hey guys, I just ordered 2 fuel pumps yesterday for a friends wrr. It is an 08. It seems to be ramdom in starting. Turn the key on and listen for the pump, sometimes you hear it, sometimes not, if you don't it well not start. My question is, Is anyone having fuelpump RELAY problems ? The reason for two pumps is one for his bike now and a spare for mine and/or yet another friend, all of us have 08's and will be going on the western section of the TAT togather in about 2 weeks. We plan to start at Rico, Colorado. Berwyn PS The cost for two including shipping is 507 and change (218.** each).
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:07 am

Oh, I ment to add that the local dealer quoted 360 some for each pump so these are coming to Texas from an Oregon dealer. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 am

Berwyn Henderson wrote:
The cost for two including shipping is 507 and change (218.** each).
Yamaha Sports Plaza generally has the best pricing or close to it on parts and accessories. They list at $218 + $21 shipping on the pump. Not sure why shipping is quite that high, but...

$218 seems to be about the bottom price for a pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel pump problem
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next