Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Longer shift lever for big feet?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
greyrider

Longer shift lever for big feet? Empty
PostSubject: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 2:48 pm

This is my first dirt/dual sport bike and just put a few miles on it using my new Sidi Discovery Rain boots. I have the 48 size (13 1/2" AA foot) and find I can't get the toe under the shift lever but have to use the welt of the boot to shift. This is inconsistent and I have to look down a lot to make the connection.

Can the shifter be moved up by loosening and retightening or is there a longer lever for the wr250r? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know I'm still getting used to the bike but this does not seem right to me. Have not had a motorcycle in years so don't have past experience to go on as those were road bikes and I did not wear tall motorcycle boots then.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Howdy.  :)

Try moving the lever up a notch on the splined shaft.
You need to completely remove the bolt, first.
Back to top Go down
greyrider

PostSubject: Re: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 6:53 pm

OK, will try that. Wondered if that might work. Thnx! Damn big feet. GAHHHH 
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm

I have size 12 feet and had to move my shifer up one notch so my mx boots would fit under it, if I rode with sneakers like the street guys do stock would've been fine.
Longer shifters wont fit well on this bike as they extend past the indent in the side case and will scrape it unless its sticking way out in your foots way.

I put a guard on indent in the engine case where the raised shifter lines up with it so it wont poke a hole in the case when I crash.
I copied someone elses idea and cut a 1/2 moon shaped piece of stainless out of a egg flipper from the dollar store and siliconed it to the side case.
Back to top Go down
greyrider

PostSubject: big foot shifter   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 9:47 am

Moved the shifter up 2 spines and now back to one; will test today. Just a little higher than stock.
Back to top Go down
mcrider18

PostSubject: Re: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 pm

I have big feet too and wear a size 49 in Sidi Crossfire TA's.  I changed the OEM pegs out for a pair of Pivot Pegz and have no issues with using the shifter or the rear brake.  The +/- rotation in their design enables my booted toes to get under the shifter with no problem without changing the shifter on the spline.  It's not the least expensive option. but the Pivot Pegz deliver several benefits.  They work great and the pegs are large and deliver fantastic grip and comfort while standing.  Over the long-term they're supposed to enable boot soles to last a lot longer before needing replacement (which should save $$$), since a rider's boots don't have to move around on the pegs nearly as much.  The pivot action prevents the need to shift feet on the pegs.  I don't have enough experience to judge that fair wear and tear, but it seems to make sense.  

http://www.pivotpegz.net/
Back to top Go down
greyrider

PostSubject: Re: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Funny you mentioned the pivot pegzs. I was wondering if those would be an advantage for me as they are pricey. Thanks for bringing this possible solution up. I did raise my shifter by one spline and that helped but your point makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longer shift lever for big feet?   Longer shift lever for big feet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Longer shift lever for big feet?
Page 1 of 1