Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

longer shift lever

Go down 
+7
PYG RYDR
Boondocker
inspector
SheWolf
velvetcows
little squirt
jeffpack1957
11 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffpack1957

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Does anyone know of a longer shift lever for the wr's?

I need one about an inch longer

Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 pm

I have not seen one. dunno
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 12:47 pm

jeffpack1957 wrote:
Does anyone know of a longer shift lever for the wr's?

I need one about an inch longer

my word why!?!?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm

The one that seems to work the best is the one from Driven Racing.

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 2:22 pm

SheWolf wrote:
The one that seems to work the best is the one from Driven Racing.

except its stock length.

Supposedly the MSR is longer, but I cant get a conclusive answer
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Why you need a longer one?

*been told the Driven ones splines are a couple of deg different then stock. Meaning the stock one is either too far up or too far down, Driven is in the middle. (i don't know how to word it so it makes sense).
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:19 pm

MSR same length.
longer shift lever DSCN0632
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm using the Driven shift lever. It is a direct replacement for stock except that it uses a hex head bolt instead of an Allen head. I only bought it to have a spare of that vulnerable part and now carry the stock part as the spare. Considering that the case cover is clearanced for the shifter, a longer lever would likely have to stick out more, which could have bad consequences in a tip over.
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 5:15 pm

Well mine (shifter) is long enough, but my rubber boot protector has split and coming apart.

Anyone know if they make replacements?
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: actually   longer shift lever EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 8:28 pm

MSR makes an AL one thats 1in longer, but no way will AL last on the trail.

I cant find a steel one that states 1in longer.

HammerHead Designs makes a shifter that has different lengths for the toe end, but thats not what I'm looking for.
Back to top Go down
nirvana

nirvana

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Loooonger shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 6:42 pm

You can modify yours any way you want cheaper than a new one.. thumb
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: sure..   longer shift lever EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 7:11 pm

I can probably cut it, reweld it, and hope the surrounding material hasnt softened from the heat.

And if it breaks on the trail, carry a spare.

All to save 32$?

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 7:30 pm

gediehl4 wrote:
Well mine (shifter) is long enough, but my rubber boot protector has split and coming apart.

You'd be amazed what O-rings will do in a pinch. longer shift lever 61865

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: or...   longer shift lever EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 8:12 pm

A gob of RTV Blue Silicone.

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 9:03 pm

gediehl4 wrote:

If you want the rubber that slips over the folding tip, the Yamaha part number is:
1W6-18113-00-00

Lists for $4.55
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 9:24 am

YZEtc wrote:
gediehl4 wrote:

If you want the rubber that slips over the folding tip, the Yamaha part number is:
1W6-18113-00-00

Lists for $4.55

Thanks for info.

Probably pick up one and Driven for spare.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 1:13 pm

wrap the rubber with black electrician's tape... like 20 wraps and put a small cable tie around it with the knob pointed toward the back... 25 cents or less.

take the stock shifter to a welding shop and have a 1/2" extension welded into the flat section and quenched to keep the strength up or not, if you want it to bend before it breaks. You'll probably lose the protection of the notch in the casing though. Might be easier to move your foot back 1/2"?
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Realize this is an old thread, but wanted to share something about the cool looking aluminum shifters...

Went from stock, to "Driven" brand, back to stock. If you found a longer one to meet your requirement, remember aluminum won't hold up to trail abuse as well as steel. Worst part about the "Driven" brand shifter was the tightening screw did NOT engage the redundant retention groove in the shaft, so if the screw loosens up in the least, you could loose the shifter on the road. Seen it happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

longer shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: longer shift lever   longer shift lever Empty

Back to top Go down

longer shift lever
Page 1 of 1