Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected

Go down 
+4
Mr.Metal
YamWOW!
toast
ADRENALINE RUSH
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ADRENALINE RUSH

ADRENALINE RUSH

kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected Empty
PostSubject: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Hoping someone can shed a little light. I know a decent amount about sportbikes (first legal moto though). My buddy and I rebuilt a 900rr pretty much from the frame up and motors before (plus im an electrician).
This past Saturday I did add a lot of stunt parts but just gearing, dual caliper handbrake, ss line and master cylinder, speedo healer, extended idle adjuster mod…….ect

Finished it up test rode it and everything was perfect. So I load my stuntbike and wr250x on the truck to go to a lot and do some stunting. I rode the wr250x for about 20 min and it rode awesome. I did not drop the bike or even stunt it (just wanted to get a feel for everything). It sat out next to the truck for the next few hours. I load the bikes back up and head home.

On the way home I did go over some train tracks pretty fast in my pick up truck (bikes strapped in the front) and the rear wheel of both the bikes lifted about 6”. But did no visual damage (wr250x has good rear suspension)……
maybe tip over sensor…..?
Heres where the trouble started I unload my bikes and hop on the wr250x to ride it into the garage.

1. I turn the key all lights, gauges, signals and horn work and everything goes on and is good…. but………..
  2. the injectors don’t turn on (prime). But Ive seen bikes do that from time to time before.
  3. I hit the start button and nothing at all happens (no click, no turn of starter, dead silence)
  4. I notice that the wires going to the kill/start switch have been rubbing, and broke through some of the insulation (on the 2 red wires w/white stripe and the blue wire. The Black one was fine). this was just rubbing no breakage of any wire strands at all.
  5. I checked the fuses in the front fuse box and main fuse (even checked the continuity on them). there all good.
  6. I took apart the kill / start switch. I test each of the 4 wires in the switch casing and at the rub threw area’s to the positive and negative battery terminal. I get 0.0 volts on every wire with the other end of the digital dc tester on + and -. Connections in the housing seem to be good as well.

I think it might be the starter really or something……? Something shorted out…..?

1. I was going to try to jump the starter relay / solenoid, but most have a + wire from the battery and a + wire going to the starter and you can jump it. But the wr250x starter relay has a + and a – terminal (if you jump or touch them together it will prob do more damage).

Things I know are good……

1. Battery has been load tested and is on a tender.
  2. All fuses are good
  3. Battery has had the negative and positive both disconnected for over an hour and reconnected to try to reset anything.
  4. During the hand brake install the clutch sensor was removed but didn’t affect it before unless it was in gear (so it should be that).
  5. Neutral light come on when its in neutral and off when its in gear.
  6. Kick stand sensor was not and issue prior to this, (maybe the bump in the truck could have affected it, the kick stand, neutral and clutch sensors shouldn’t affect it when it in neutral).
  7. The kill switch is in the on position, meter is on dc and properly working, the rubbed through wires are not touching anything or arcing at all,

ANY IDEAS, THOUGHTS, OR TIPS???????
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 pm

You should always hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on. Try putting 12V on the pump (do this by attaching jumpers to the pump and then touching a battery, not the other way around (sparks+fumes=bad)). There have been a few fuel pump failures...
Back to top Go down
ADRENALINE RUSH

ADRENALINE RUSH

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 am

toast wrote:
You should always hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on. Try putting 12V on the pump (do this by attaching jumpers to the pump and then touching a battery, not the other way around (sparks+fumes=bad)). There have been a few fuel pump failures...

thanks for the tip, i'll give that a try. kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected Cheers

my headlights, signals, gauges and indicator lights, horn.....ect all work fine.
the starter relay doesnt click, the starter motor does not turn, and the injectors dont prime :headscrat therefore when i turn the key and push the start button i get nothing (dead silence).
the clutch, kick stand, and in gear (neutral) sensor can all prevent the bike from starting. BUT none of that should have any effect as long as the bike is in neutral and the green neutral light is on (which it is).

as of last night i checked.......... (still wont start)

1. clutch and kick stand sensor has been disconected and by passed.
  2. the right hand controls (kill switch and start button) have been tested for continuity and are properly working. (BUT STILL NON OF THE WIRES READ ANY VOLTAGE TO + OR -)
  3. checked the main fues away from the other fuses (right near the battery) it was fine.
  4. checked the wire harness to the tank?
  5. also checked as many wire harness as possible and they all seem to be connected so far.

i took out the starter relay and lean angel sensor and and am going to see if there a way to test them.
i still need to test the fuel pump with direct 12v, and fuel cut off relay (but starter should still turn though... right??)

i want to by pass the lean agnel sensor like i have on my 636. but im not sure how, the factory service manual insnt giving me a good enough diagram. any one know how??? i would think ground the black wire, but then there a blue, blue/black, and green/yellow.

with the sensor out, i have around 4.??v when testing the black/blue to all other wires.
and 0.0v to the other wires to eachother and all other wires in the harness (other than black/blue). kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected Nixweiss
any ideas would be great, if i by pass it, thats one less thing to worry about in the future.
Back to top Go down
ADRENALINE RUSH

ADRENALINE RUSH

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 1:10 pm

i just back from the dealer and had them check the starter relay selinoid. they hooked it up the 2 terminals to a batter + & -. then hooked up there pocket tester to were the harness connector would go and said its clicking like crazy. so that part is fine. they said its just not getting the juice to kick it on. kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected 9356
kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected 2259652350057585097S425x425Q85

they couldnt test the lean angle sensor off of the bike so im hoping to try to by pass it if i can figure out how. maybe its a lose ground, lose wire in awire harness, wire grounding out........... could still be the lean sensor, starter cut off relay, or something like that. i dont know....lol kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected 9356
Back to top Go down
ADRENALINE RUSH

ADRENALINE RUSH

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm

for bypassing the lean sensor i was thinking about............

1. hooking the black up to a ground and hooking the rest up together
  2. hooking the black to a ground and taking 2 wires off the yellow/green..... 1 to the blue and 1 to the black/blue
  3. hooking the black to a ground and taking 2 wire off the blue/black.......... 1 to the yellow/green and 1 to the blue
  4. hooking the black to a ground and taking 2 wire off the blue.................. 1 to the yellow/green and 1 to the blue/black

those would be the combos i can think of, but im not sure which will work if any............?? i would lean torwards the 2nd or 3rd i think.....?

with the lean angle sensor out, i have around 4.??v when testing the black/blue to all other wires.
and 0.0v to all the other wires in the harness to eachother (other than black/blue).
Back to top Go down
ADRENALINE RUSH

ADRENALINE RUSH

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 6:07 pm

[SIZE="4"]UPDATE:[/SIZE]
Ok heres the deal. Yesterday I was trouble shooting the problem, said a little prayer and got started.
I started disassembling everything and tested everything I could. All harness connections, voltages, safety switches, fuel pump, starter motor, injectors….ect everything I could thing of. Everything tested perfect and fine. Still couldn’t find anything

So I am thinking it has to have something to do with the ignition. Now I checked that fuse multiple time already. But I decide to take it out and test continuity again. And it tested fine. I leave the fuse out and turn the key and decide to test the voltages to hot and ground that is feeding the fuse, everything seems good.
So I go to plug the fuse back in and see an arc/spark and hear a pop & click typle noise like a relay or something. I think….. oh no!!! I forgot to turn the key back to the off position!!! Next second the injectors prime. And im thing theres now way its working…… I gotta try to start it…… hit the start button it fires up and runs with no problem.

I tuned it off and off a hand full of times and everything functioned perfectly. I have rode it 3 different times since then and haven’t had a hint of the problem since.
I don’t if it was just a relay that never fully opened or closed & was stuck in a partially open or closed position. And when the little surge knocked it in place.
Or maybe the fuse got joggled out a little & even though it was pushed in all the way each time it never made contact until I stuck the tester probe in there.
Or a sensor, ecu, or electrical or something needed to be reset or wasn’t working and the surge/ arc of the fuse being plugged in while being on fixed or reset set it.
Or if it was the little prayer. i dont know, & it would be nice to know, but im just happy its all working again.

i found some useful info on trouble shooting these bikes and a way to disable the lean angle sensor. I’ll post it up soon.
Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Is it good or bad? kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected 29721 Hope it doesn't show up in the middle of the Boonies. kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected 93746 Good luck!

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey, was this problem every figured out? I ask since we have a member at a faaaar away place having very similar issues: https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/what-broke-f20/wrr-wont-start-in-bolivia-t2696.htm
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I just had the same problem and spent 3 hours checking things with a digimeter. Rolled it back in the shop.....tried it one more time. The pump spun up and it started fine.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

OK I found my problem this morning.Went to get it out, parked it outside the shop. Put the key in and she fired right up. Went to get on it, and it dies. it would run as long as the handle bars were at right or left lock. But died when move to the straight position. Took basicly everything off her and everything ws checking fine. Wiggle the wires and she dies.

Finally noticed one wire terminal where the controll wiring goesinto the harness (behind the radiator) protruding out a tad . Pushed it back into it's socket..... WE BE CURED! I cant make it die now.......Oh LORDY!.....THANK YOU JESUS!.......... WE BE RUNNING AGAIN!

Please the forgive the outburst. But this was gonna be the first ride after breaking my leg back in JULY. And I was not a happy camper. Having this slow me down.
Back to top Go down
lantern23

lantern23

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:34 am

Mine is doing this now. I have not been able to isolate the problem. No fuel pump and no starter. Mine was running when it died. FRUSTRATING ! ! ! I have 8000 miles and this is my first( besides fuel pump ) problem. Thanx for listening to me complain.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:29 am

Check your fuses, then check the wires in behind the head/frame area. Many times it's a pinched wire, or severed.

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
lantern23

lantern23

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The run/stop switch had become disconnected. Had to take the radiator loose to get to it. Con not figure out how it came apart. Glad its fixed! ! ! These last 2 days have been the only days I have not ridden this year. Thanks to everyone on this thread. You all helped.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:01 am

Glad you got that sorted; thanks for posting back to let us know!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected   kill switch - WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250X not starting... run/stop switch was disconnected
Page 1 of 1