Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

clutch safety switch problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
morgan9283

clutch safety switch problem Empty
PostSubject: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 12:24 pm

my '12 WRR won't start in gear with the clutch pulled.  I traced the clutch safety switch to behind the coolant overflow/under the tank where there's a connector just before it enters the wiring loom (see below photo).  The bike will not start in gear when I short the connectors in wiring loom side of the connector (to the right in the below photo).  This leads me to believe the problem is in the wiring loom, perhaps a rubbed wire.

Does anyone have experience with this before I cut into the wiring loom?

The bike has ~7000 miles, much of them dirt.  I use it as a plated dirt bike and periodic commuter.

clutch safety switch problem 14110612

thanks,

-morgan
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Try bypassing your kickstand switch, I'm not looking at a schematic right now, but I think that may be your issue
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 9:24 pm

You're going about it wrong.

Step 1: Disconnect it from the clutch perch.
Step 2: Tuck it in around the headlight.
Step 3: Ride!!!

Do not jump the connector / short the wires. If you want to start in gear, it must be in a "open state".

In other words, just unplug it and hide it, that's all !!!
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 10:39 pm

4play wrote:
Try bypassing your kickstand switch, I'm not looking at a schematic right now, but I think that may be your issue

I always struggle with schematics but if that were the case wouldn't the bike not start with the kickstand up?

thanks,

-morgan
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Evol wrote:
You're going about it wrong.

Step 1: Disconnect it from the clutch perch.
Step 2: Tuck it in around the headlight.
Step 3: Ride!!!

Do not jump the connector / short the wires. If you want to start in gear, it must be in a "open state".

In other words, just unplug it and hide it, that's all !!!

The bike doesn't start in gear with it disconnected either. This is why I suspect it's in the loom.

Or maybe the kickstand switch (see above). I'm still processing that one.

thanks,

-morgan
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 10:42 pm

I was thinking your side stand switch was not functioning, never telling the bike it's up
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 2:09 am

4play wrote:
I was thinking your side stand switch was not functioning, never telling the bike it's up

You were on the right track.  It didn't occur to me that I had to put up the sidestand to test the clutch switch.  With the sidestand up and the connector jumped I am able to start the bike in gear.  I removed, disassembled and cleaned the switch from the clutch perch and it's functioning normally.

I'd prefer to keep the switch functioning and now it is so all is well.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: clutch safety switch problem   clutch safety switch problem Empty

Back to top Go down

clutch safety switch problem
Page 1 of 1