Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

KTM front wheel on WRX

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WesEv

WesEv

KTM front wheel on WRX Empty
PostSubject: KTM front wheel on WRX   KTM front wheel on WRX EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:40 pm

I put an aftermarket wheel for KTM 640 ADV on my WRX. With that I was able to use a 300mm rotor from a KTM 950 and keep all the stock WRX brake setup. I had to get new spacers made and I put a 1mm washer between the hub and rotor. Also shimmed the caliper bracket away from the fork mount about 1mm. Have been using it for awhile, street and MX track and no problems. With thickness of new pads I had to add the 1mm disc/rotor spacer as the deep X caliper almost touched the spokes.

KTM front wheel on WRX Ktmwhe10
KTM front wheel on WRX Ktmwhe11

I had two criteria. I wanted a black rim and wanted to keep the stock brake setup. Also I wanted a proper street front rotor that was a few mm thick, I was concerned about a MX rotor being able to take the heat of a loaded bike on a long down hill.

-Wes
Back to top Go down
manybikes

manybikes

PostSubject: Re: KTM front wheel on WRX   KTM front wheel on WRX EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:19 am

So are you using a 21" front with 17" rear now?
If so, how is it ?
Back to top Go down
WesEv

WesEv

PostSubject: Re: KTM front wheel on WRX   KTM front wheel on WRX EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 10:04 am

It was Ok but the tire choice is limited with such a wide rim and the tire profile isn't right. I ran it like that, 21 - 17, for about year but only a couple rides in the dirt. This winter I laced a Tusk 18 rim for a YZ450 to a new OEM hub to get a proper 18" rear.
Back to top Go down
manybikes

manybikes

PostSubject: Re: KTM front wheel on WRX   KTM front wheel on WRX EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 10:47 am

I am thinking of doing the 21/17 combo because I already have a 21" rim and tire for the front end.

I would only swap out for back road or off road riding.

When you ran that combo did you have to raise the forks in the triple tree or did you just ride as is ?
How was the handling ?

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
WesEv

WesEv

PostSubject: Re: KTM front wheel on WRX   KTM front wheel on WRX EmptySun May 01, 2016 12:30 am

I left the fork as is and just rode it. Handling seemed fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KTM front wheel on WRX   KTM front wheel on WRX Empty

Back to top Go down

KTM front wheel on WRX
Page 1 of 1