Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack

Go down 
+3
dogshmog
Evol
mcdoudlehopper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dogshmog

Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack Empty
PostSubject: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:07 pm

I recently bought a Leo Vince X3 Enduro exhaust for my 2012 WR250R. I got it because of the O2 bung, and the possibility that it didn't need periodic repacking. The information out there for our model was pretty scarce, with some people claiming that it needs to be repacked. I am here to tell you, after disassembly and close examination, there is no way this exhaust was made to be repacked. It has an internal chamber where the header enters the canister, then it goes into a complicated series of chambers half way into the can. It is riveted closed, and the location of the baffles would not allow a repack, as they are "clocked" and welded in place inside the canister.

Comparing it to the Leo Vince X3 exhaust for the KLR650, which does not require maintenance, it is the exact same canister in use for both systems.

I installed the exhaust with a PC 5 with Ignition module. I tried the loud tip, and it was way too loud for me. I will be riding the bike a bit today to get a feel for noise and power with the sound control insert installed. I will report back...

Next week, I should have the Autotune installed, and I will follow up with that.
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Just rode the WR... much improved!!! The LV x3 sounds great with the low volume insert, throaty but only a moderate volume. It has much improved throttle response, probably thanks to x3n05's map, available here:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11192-pcv-fuel-ignition-fuel-map-to-share

Bottom line is this: makes the perfect road/trail combo. I can pop the clutch off part throttle and roost a bit at launch, where the factory set-up would just bog and die. It has better top end; the bike wants to wheelie at the top of the rev range in 1st & 2nd (factory gearing still).

I am very happy with my decision to get the LV, as I'm getting a good performance boost, great sound, no maintenance, and it looks good too. I'll be updating this thread in a few weeks with my findings with the Autotune and further tweaking of the map.

Power plant mods are:

AIS removed
EXUP removed
Ultimate Airbox Mod (knocked out inside part of snorkel & flapper)
Leo Vince X3 Enduro exhaust w/factory header
Power Commander 5 w/ Ignition Control
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 6:30 pm

needpics We want to see it! lurk
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 pm

worthless
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Pictures below... As you can see, there is a baffle stack in the center of the can. Underneath the perforated liner, there is a screen mesh material, not sure what kind of padding is under the screen, but I can see evidence of fiberglass fibers inside the exhaust. (probably just lose stuff blowing out since it's brand new)

The baffle screen is the diameter of the pipe leading into the canister before the baffle. After the baffle, it opens up to approximately the inside diameter of the canister. As you can see, with the quiet insert installed (pictured), the exhaust comes out the oval baffle passage, then flows 1/2 through the holes in the insert, and 1/2 through the twin smaller holes in the bottom of the baffle, into a small chamber, then back out through the diameter of the insert (medium hole at top of baffle assembly). The power insert is merely a tip that doesn't have a long tube that plugs into the baffle. So, the exhaust exits the oval baffle hole, and is not routed further through the baffle system.

The result is a throaty thump, with very moderate volume. It sounds very good.
Not sure where people were finding that this style x3 Enduro requires rebuilding, but it doesn't appear that it does. Leo Vince has confirmed that this X3 Enduro series is in fact maintenance free for the KLR650, and it uses an identical canister as this WR250 system.

As far as power, it's GOOD! I no longer feel the dip in power after 9000rpm, and the rev limiter is constantly surprising me in 1st through 3rd gear. I used to have to stick past the significant dip in power for the rev limiter to kick in. I might be losing a few HP in comparison to the straight through tip (or other straight through exhaust q4, yoshi, etc) but I don't care. The sound is great, I won't be annoying anyone with obnoxious exhaust, and I won't have to wear ear plugs. Yes, it's louder than stock, theres a few good videos on YouTube.

Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack Lvbaff10
Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack Lvinse10
Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack Lvx3in10
Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack Wr250r10
Back to top Go down
novaks47

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Yep, I've got the same exhaust for my '12. The X3's do not need repacking, like you said. I had contacted Leo Vince about this, and they confirmed it. It's nice that someone makes an exhaust that ISN'T a straight through, glorified resonator. I wish Leo Vince would actually put this information out there. I had no idea of the actual design until I had the darn thing in my hands!

You'll find that the smallest insert sounds great, while only being a little bit louder than stock. I don't have a tune(yet), and found that with the smallest, quietest insert and spark arrestor screen installed, the improvement was surprisingly noticeable! The bike just pulled better across all RPM's, especially up high. The only other power mod I have is fixing the airbox flapper door to be always open. I'll bet it's even better with a tune. Other bikes I've had, all the exhaust systems did was change the sound, and maybe give the bike a slight bump way up high. Not so with the WR!

Keep us posted, I look forward to hearing how the bike performs with the autotune.
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Well, AutoTune is installed. I am definitely glad I bought it. I have the 100% AFR @ 13.1, 80% @ 13.4, 60% @13.6, and downwards all the way to 13.9 at lower part throttle applications. I had tried it a 13.4:1 AFR @ 100% throttle last night, and I can feel a slight increase in power going to 13.1, so I am going to leave it there for a while.

Using x3n05's map as a base; 13.4 @ 100% had minimal AutoTune trim changes in the 100% column. If you look at his dyno sheet, his bike was running at 13.4:1 for a good portion of his dyno run. The fact that the autotune was making minimal adjustments at 100% from his base map tells me that our mods have a similar flow (he has Q4, I've got Leo Vince X3, both have Ultimate Airbox, etc). Going from a 13.4 to 13.1 AFR @ 100% throttle, I am seeing trim changes in tables for as much as +12%, from only a 15 minute ride. (PLEASE NOTE THESE TRIMS ARE NOT ABSOLUTE %'s, but rather a reference point for the programmer).

Going from 13.4 to 13.1 had a small, but noticeable increase in power at the very high rev range. In addition to power, I am interested in the protection that a slightly rich ratio offers against heat and potential detonation from advancing the ignition timing. Where the factory bike rips all of it's power at 8,000-9,800 (a pretty limited range), it now pulls much harder from what seems like 7,000 all the way past 10,000 and only has a slight decrease in power at the very end of the power band. Power wheelies in 1st are a given if I'm not careful on the throttle, and 2nd gear brings up the front wheel on 1-2 shift. The engine bumps aggressively off the rev limiter in the first 3 gears, and has trouble hitting the 4th gear rev limiter, but will if held there for some distance. Keep in mind that this is with factory gearing, and I'm 6'2" 215lbs.

Overall, power throughout the rev range is much improved, and definitely has good mid-range grunt now, making in gear acceleration night and day better. Off-road, this bike is actually performing like a dirt bike now. I'll keep this thread updated as I accept more trim changes and tweak the settings. So far, I am liking what I see, and will be more than happy with the power until I need to go to a 280 or 306 kit if I ever wear the piston rings & cylinder out. It appears that adding a handful of timing advance and running a bit rich is the WR's sweet spot.
Back to top Go down
novaks47

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 7:08 pm

Awesome, thanks for the update! Looks like I'll be spending more money on the WR this summer after all. wink I've got a 50T rear sprocket, so power wheelies should be even easier once I've got the programmer. Sounds like fun! droooool
Back to top Go down
tread55

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 am

Your report has me really interested in this exhaust but I'm having difficulty finding it for sale anywhere in the us. I didn't see where you are but if its in the states, could you say where you purchased from? Thanks for any info you can provide and for posting!
Cheers,
Brent
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 12:46 am

Ebay, there are still a lot of them available. They're a little pricey, but I got lucky and found mine new without factory packaging for $250.
Back to top Go down
tread55

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 am

dogshmog wrote:
Ebay, there are still a lot of them available. They're a little pricey, but I got lucky and found mine new without factory packaging for $250.

Thanks dogshmog. I've been looking on there but only saw one for sale for the wr and it was from Italy. Was yours specific to the wr?

Cheers,
Brent
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 9:03 am

tread55 wrote:
dogshmog wrote:

Thanks dogshmog. I've been looking on there but only saw one for sale for the wr and it was from Italy. Was yours specific to the wr?

Cheers,
Brent

Yes, it is a WR250R/X model specific package. Fitment was perfect.
Back to top Go down
novaks47

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Tread55 : Leo Vince currently has zero distributors in the USA, and it's been that way for about 7+ months so far. Supposedly they're going to be back via Parts Unlimited, but who knows when that'll be. Last time it took them about a year to get going again. Time will tell. Leo Vince is however an Italian company, so the bulk of them will be sold and shipped from Italy. I'm going through the same thing trying to find their exhaust for my Ninja 650. I don't know if I'm going to order it from Italy, or just wait. Decisions decisions....... scratch
Back to top Go down
tread55

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. Looks like I'll just keep an eye out on ebay or just purchase from Italy, once I pull the trigger. I'm really liking everything I read about it.
Cheers,
Brent
Back to top Go down
Muramasa57

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Sorry, to resurrect a long dead thread. Anybody know where to get the quiet insert that comes already installed in the X3 from the factory? I modded my original one a bit and am having a hard time finding another. It seems you can't get only just that part from leo vince. Anyone have the original they are not using?
Back to top Go down
BingL

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack EmptyMon May 07, 2018 6:27 am

I'm planning on getting rid of my GYTR pipe and replacing with either a FMF Q4 hex or a Leo Vince. The LV is the front runner at the moment if it is quieter.

Anyone want a used GYTR pipe. Power is good but just a bit on the loud side for a conservative like me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack   Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack Empty

Back to top Go down

Leo Vince X3 enduro exhaust... does NOT need a repack
Page 1 of 1