Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???

Go down 
+4
motokid
hjorth73
YZEtc
TheLordofTacos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TheLordofTacos

Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? Empty
PostSubject: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 3:25 am

Hey everyone,

Well, I spent hours looking into going off-road with my WRX and I feel like I have more questions than when I started...

My original plan was to buy an extra set of rims with some more off-road oriented dual sport tires, what I would probably consider 80-90% off-road tires, and swap back and forth between my stock "SM" wheels. All the while, keeping this whole swapping deal relatively cheap.

Now, I was hoping to do that by buying some used off-road wheels off like Ebay or something. But I understand that its not as simple as that... But I don't know WHY... As this is my first bike I've owned as an adult I'm pretty unfamiliar with how motorcycle wheel mounting works.

So in closing to the start of this thread... can someone please explain to me...

Why it is not as simple as buying these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RMZ-250-Excel-Rims-and-Tires-/121540979823?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4c682c6f&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true
or these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-YAMAHA-YZ-250F-TAKASAGO-EXCEL-WHEEL-TIRE-SET-A-04-YZ250F-/141446771018?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20eee2714a&vxp=mtr

and slapping them on my WRX?

I also want to point out that I'm a designer at a fabrication shop. I have several manufacturing tools at my disposal... In other words I'm more than willing to adapt something like the rims I linked to my bike if it is still a economical option.

Thanks in advance,
Christian
TheLordofTacos
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 6:20 am

It's because the Suzuki factory and Yamaha factory did not sit down with each other and agree to make the parts for their many different models of motorcycles to interchange perfectly with each other.
Same goes for different models within a manufacturer's own line-up, especially when motocross models are concerned (RM-Z and YZ are these) since these bikes get changes to the parts every so often.
If you can get them to fit and work reliably, it's probably going to require some R&D on your part, and whether or not that makes sense is going to be up to you.

Basically, it's like wondering whether or not parts from a 2014 Toyota Camry would bolt-up to a 2010 Ford Crown Victoria - sure, as long as you get lucky and/or have the brain power and tooling and materials at your disposal.

The easiest swap would be buying the wheel assemblies and front brake caliper/rotor/brake line/master cylinder from a WR-250R as those would bolt on perfectly, and that is because the WR250R and WR250X are like twins and were designed by the same guys and are intentionally identical where it counts.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 am

Simply put, motorcycle parts are specific to models in most cases.

Wheels from a Suzuki, or even wheels from a different model line of Yamaha won't just "fit" onto your X.

The width of the rim/hub, spokes, spacers, the position and size of the brake rotor and where everything mounts is rather important.

A Yamaha wr250f is nothing at all like a Yamaha wr250r or wr250x in more ways than most people care to count.

You can't even just mount a set of R wheels onto an X.
The front brake rotor and rim/hub width is that much different.
Only a few minor changes, but it's not just a "plug-n-play" kind of swap.

You can go this route: http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/sm-pro-dirt-wheels-set-wr250x/276

Others here with more experience will surely chime in sooner or later and fill in the details. Search around the forum, there's a few threads here on this topic.

Also - don't be afraid to take the X with street tires into some off-road situations. That can be a blast. Very happy
I'd stay off motocross tracks and away from deep sand, but trails and dirt roads and stuff shouldn't be avoided.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
TheLordofTacos

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 11:12 am

First off thanks for the quick and informative replys.

So after sleeping on it and reading both your replys... it seems like I have 3 options...

Option 1
Buy another set of X wheels and put the most off-road tire I can find on it. (And be extra careful of the front brake rotor hitting stuff). I'm ok with this option because it will probably be the cheapest (I think) and easiest route, and I'm not exactly going to race motocross on the trails around here. I planned on taking my street tires off on some trails to putt putt around but since it just rained here that will probably be difficult.

Option 2
Buy one of those sets from wheeling... (which I think I read some people say they weren't exactly the strongest wheel ever made. As well as being quite expensive in my opinion)... And have that as my dedicated offroading set.

Option 3
Or... engineer a set of wheels from another bike to fit my bike. Which will be difficult because I have basically no idea what wheels are even close to being able to fit...

Well if anyone else or you guys have any more knowledge or ideas I'm all ears (eyes?).

This is looking like it's going to be a either time consuming or expensive mod to my WRX. Which is ok... I'll just have to be patient.

Also... if anyone knows of a wheel set from another bike or wheel manufacturer that is similar to the WR250X's wheel setup, I'd like to hear from you.
Back to top Go down
hjorth73

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 1:27 pm

warp9 makes dirt conversion wheels complete with disc (300mm) and sprockets, but it is rather expensive compared to mount a set of Avon Distanza on your existing sm wheels.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-WHEELS-YAMAHA-WR250X-21-18-RIM-WITH-BRAKE-ROTOR-MX-DIRT-CONVRSION-/261538182233?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce4e3f459&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Another option is sell the X and buy an R.

I think I recall reading that it's "easier" to put X wheels on an R than it is to put R wheels on an X.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm just getting back on my "X" used it for a few years commuting then bought a CBR1000RR for street use. Now I want to use the WRX for more off road fun. I was looking into wheels 21" Front and 18" rear but for now I can't spend $500+ on it so I'm looking into getting some Shinko 244's or Kenda K270's to get me to the trails and to play in the dirt. I think that would be your best option unless you really need the sport tires on the X for more street fun. Post pics of whatever you decide to go with.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: X with Knobbies   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Dear lord,

I have an X with an R setup I swap back and forth. The complete R package is R wheels, R front rotor, R front brake setup master to caliper and R kickstand. EZ- BZ back and forth. Depending on what front & rear sprockets you run you might need a chain too. Good excuse to go gold...

Parts can be had here, ADVRider and Fleabay... The SMPro seems to be the best of the aftermarket stuff, but I went OEM (used) as it was available.

Now go forth and aquire...
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 am

I use X wheels on my R for all dirt work. The 21 up in front is just a frame of mine. Just put on dirt tires and go. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Warp 9 18/21 all the way!   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 1:40 pm

I have an X, I bought an R wheelset with master cylinder and caliper.
It was a pain in the ass changing the caliber and master cylinder, so I sold that wheelset and went for a set of Warp 9 18/21's w/ x rotors...Best choice ever! I do not regret a thing, and am happy I spent the extra money. Look at it this way, if you sell them for 500 in 3 years, they've cost you a whopping $79 per year. I am very happy with the product
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Berwyn Henderson wrote:
I use X wheels on my R for all dirt work. The 21 up in front is just a frame of mine. Just put on dirt tires and go. Berwyn

No offense, but there is a reason you do not see MotoGP racers using 21/18" wheels. The turn in, or lack of centrifugal force on 17" wheels makes them better suited to track, while 18/21's actually "help" keep you upright, especially at low speed. Tell Rossi that "It's just a frame of mind, you should run 21 and 18" wheels."
Tire selection is another major incentive to go the big wheel route.

Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Don,t tell the National dirt trackers that. They might bust there ass and blame you, Woofer. No offence taken. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???   Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bought WR250X last Sunday... How do I get wheels for it???
Page 1 of 1