Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sick of chain lube!

Go down 
+14
Biglake
wristpin
Berwyn Henderson
rsteiger
WeAkSaUzE
waltermitty
Caldsy
Evol
motokid
YZEtc
blusmoke
TwoBuells
Fiftygrit
mcdoudlehopper
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Sick of chain lube! Empty
PostSubject: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 pm

So every time I wash my bike and shine it up, I normally lube my chain then everything is a mess baldy Icant keep my rear tire free from grease and new spokes are black. Am I missing something here or am I over doing it? Chain lube is everywhere. dunno
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 am

You dont have to over lube an o ring chain, some of the new lubes is more like a wax, I put my bike on a stand and wipe off all the excess.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:51 am

I know what you mean. I've owned Belt Drive Buells for the last 20 years. My WR is my first chain drive bike in a long time. After I wash my bike I go for a ride and warm up the chain and then lube it. I also use Bel-Ray Super Clean Lube. I use Dawn dish washing liquid and a scrub brush on my wheels.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 am

what are you using for the lube? I used to have terrible issues with this before I realized it really comes down to how much product is used, and in part how tacky. Remember you just need enough for todays trip/ride, any extra is just gonna sling off or collect dirt.

I actually use Poulan bar and chain oil meant for a chain saw... because its cheap and paid for, and the saw won't eat it all. I just dab an old paint brush and stingily apply it to every other link, I then take a short ride and listen to the chain to tell if it needs anymore.

p.s. the bar/chain oil may or may not have biodegradable properties but it seems to wash off easily, It may be worth looking into dry lubricants like graphite sprays.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:39 am

You're using way too much of it if your rear wheel is coated with the stuff.

For any stray spots of lube that do end up on the spokes and rim, a paper towel or shop rag with WD40 or similar petroleum spray lube takes it right off.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 am

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
So every time I wash my bike and shine it up, I normally lube my chain then everything is a mess baldy    Icant keep my rear tire free from grease and new spokes are black. Am I missing something here or am I over doing it? Chain lube is everywhere. dunno

Good lord....how much are you putting on???? And what kind of crap are you using?

I use this:

Sick of chain lube! MaximaChainWax

and never ever have I had an issue like you describe.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 8:30 am

Like motokid, I also use Maxima Chain Wax and have never had a problem with spray.  thumb
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 9:04 am

Evol wrote:
Like motokid, I also use Maxima Chain Wax and have never had a problem with spray.  thumb

+2 I have used this stuff for years. first it was on my R6 then FZ1 and now my WR. works great and liked mentioned above you do not need a tremendous amount.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 11:09 am

I must be using way too much then because my rear wheel is covered, and so is my swingarm. I would push the nozzle on the can and hold it while spinning the tire for like three revolutions of the chain. The stock chain went to crap on me in the first year and the links barely move. I guess when I put the new chain on, I got a little crazy. I will clean it up good and back off for a while. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:36 pm

I nice coating of oil on your rear wheel fights corrosion and gives you that world traveler look.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Wiped it down about ten times and nice and shiny with no heavy oil. this should do! Cleaned up the swing-arm, wheel and rim, spokes, shock, and etc. I had way too much on and it made a mess. This should be lots better thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
WeAkSaUzE

WeAkSaUzE

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Clean up any remaining mess with DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser for Chain and Sprockets

Sick of chain lube! 41ydyyM3oDL

Then lube with Dupont Teflon Chain Saver, Best stuff I have ever used for street or dirt since I started riding over 45 years ago  thumb

Sick of chain lube! 41Hdc5i0H8L
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 8:18 pm

I have a brand new can of degreaser in my cabinet, never even thought of using it baldy
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 am

WeAkSaUzE wrote:
Clean up any remaining mess with DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser for Chain and Sprockets

Sick of chain lube! 41ydyyM3oDL

Kerosene works like a charm and is dirt cheap. I put some on a rag and clean my chain with it... also use an old tooth brush sometimes to get it nice and clean then hit it with Chain wax. no slinging from the chain wax which is why I use it.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 am

Kerosene can be hard to find and expensive. Diesel fuel is about the same thing, cheap and available. I also like to use a toothbrush. Don't tell my wife!
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 am

waltermitty wrote:
Kerosene can be hard to find and expensive. Diesel fuel is about the same thing, cheap and available. I also like to use a toothbrush. Don't tell my wife!

for Canadians... Canadian Tire sells 1L bottles for $2.99. I've had the same bottle for about 5 years and gone through 3 bikes.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 10:43 am

waltermitty wrote:

???

Where do you live? I am guessing probably near a major city or in the burbs... just curious since I live out side of ATL and the closer I am to the city the harder it is to find kerosene at the pump.

I would say further south about 1 in 4 gas stations sell Kerosene and push comes to shove you can pick it up in Home Depot or Lowes (more expensive). Diesel will probably work as well but stinks a lot more. I believe Kerosene is a bit more refined.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am

Remember guys, You are only lubing the sprockets when you lub the chain and are picking up dirt to ware the parts. My two cents Berwyn
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 5:53 pm

I used to use the off the shelf lubes, and had similar issues as the op. I now just spin the wheel and soak the chain with wd 40 then wipe it down while still spinning, clean up the sprockets, and whatnot, thats it. No problems for over 10,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 pm

How long does your bike sit after you put wd40 on the chain?

I've used a lot of wd40 on bolts and stuff and they get rusty after a couple of weeks if its all you put on them, wd40 is 99% varsol with no rust inhibitors and rinses off any oil film that was on stuff.

I clean my chain with wd40 or diesel after washing the bike, thats all its good for, then lube it with whatever chain lube the local dealer has so the chain wont rust.

If your going to use something cheap like wd40 for lube use sea foam deep creep instead, it leaves an oily film that stops rust, I dont even buy wd40 any more.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Weaksauze, where'd you find that teflon spray and hows it work for ya? How often do you apply it and does it leave any noticeable residues behind?
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:10 pm

I have one of these, jack the bike up and drip the cleaner onto the chain and hold it there.

Also use chain wax, doesnt fling off.

Sick of chain lube! Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS_psPridCLd7g5NH2WPSVJytRG8-GmnnztKPo_OabNsARBmE79w
Back to top Go down
WeAkSaUzE

WeAkSaUzE

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 8:48 am

blusmoke wrote:
Weaksauze, where'd you find that teflon spray and hows it work for ya? How often do you apply it and does it leave any noticeable residues behind?

My first post has a link to Amazon where I get mine, Lowes use to have it. I probably use it every 300 miles or so, it leaves a Dry Teflon film.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Another vote for Maxima Chain Wax. It dries completely and doesn't attract dirt. Love the smell, too!
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 pm

If you are going to use WD then buy it in bulk (not the aerosol) and put it in your own pump spray bottle. Get a decent spray bottle. Shop rag and spray bottle and you're in business.

I've been using WD for a couple years now and can clean and lube the chain in no time with no mess at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sick of chain lube!   Sick of chain lube! Empty

Back to top Go down

Sick of chain lube!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next