Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
motokid
team510
7 posters
AuthorMessage
team510

yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? Empty
PostSubject: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 am

i just went to yama-lube full syn 15-50 and it seems fine so far.....first thing i noticed was it shifted way smoother
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 am

You seem to have asked, then answered your own question. Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 am

That oil is just fine and dandy, and have used it myself in several bikes.

On the other hand, the lowest-priced Yamalube 10/40 is just fine and dandy as well, and sometime, I admit that I get attracted to the gold bottle of the synthetic oil, and it makes me feel like I've just done something special by buying some and pouring it into my engine. ;)

I'm a firm believer that as long as you are using an oil that is designed for the job (and any oil sold by Yamaha, Honda (without the moly additive, please), Kawasaki, Suzuki, Bel-Ray, Maxima, Spectro, Silkolene, etc., in the correct weight will work just fine), it's MUCH more important you change it when you should.

One of the great dirt bike ironys I commonly see is riders buying big-dollar oils for their engine, yet forgetting the bike has an air filter, too.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 am

YZEtc wrote:
One of the great dirt bike ironys I commonly see is riders buying big-dollar oils for their engine, yet forgetting the bike has an air filter, too.
Or worse, buying expensive oil and not spending $2 more for a drain bolt washer.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I prefer the 10/40. It's what my local dealership recommended since the 15/45 or whatever the manual calls for doesn't exist.

There seems to be a noticeable difference in power between the 10/40 and 15/50 in my bike. Motor also seems to be a bit more noisy at idle on the thick stuff.
Back to top Go down
MADDOGGIE501

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 10:55 pm

I just changed my oil and used the Yamalube 15w-50 fully synthetic. Its hot here in New Mexico and I figure it can't hurt to change from the 10w-40 I have used. Did not really ride to bike to see if I notice anything different.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 3:19 pm

I think my 2011 WRR manual calls for Yamalube 15W-40, but heard Yamaha discontinued it. Recently had to resort to Yamalube 15W-30 in New Mexico (mid-way through a long trip) which seemed to make the engine run hotter. Then read that Yamaha changed requirement to Yamalube 15W-50 for the WRR/X... just put some of that in and hope the 15W-30 did no harm while it was in there.
As for the filter I use a Scott's stainless screen type filter. Like the idea of one less item (filter) to lug around on extended trips. Would suggest asking Scott for extra rubber donuts though, to keep the oil flow running through the filter. No problem there, but it does take a "set", and looks like it could become marginal over time. Steer clear of knock-off stainless filters... they pale in comparison from a quality standpoint.
Edit;
Part #'s
Scott's rubber doughnut for filter shown below is "FS-2" (not required, but comforting for OCD types)
WRR/X stainless filter is 2153 (all years)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?   yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok? Empty

Back to top Go down

yama-lube full syn 15-50 ok?
Page 1 of 1