Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ssvail

WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude? Empty
PostSubject: WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude?   WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Looking at wr 250r and wondering if this will be enough bike for me. I'm 6-1, 200 lbs and ride at 8500 to 12000 feet elevation. will the EFI enable me to handle steep hills or should I look for something heftier? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude?   WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 pm

ssvail wrote:
Looking at wr 250r and wondering if this will be enough bike for me.  I'm 6-1, 200 lbs and ride at 8500 to 12000 feet elevation.  will the EFI enable me to handle steep hills or should I look for something heftier?  Thanks!

Myself and a friend of mine did the COBDR two years ago. Both of us were on WRR's and we both tip the scales at around 250 lbs. We were also carrying probably close to 60lbs of stuff on each bike. We rode several passes and did not have an issue with the bikes expect for one steep hill near Hurricane Pass I think. My buddy tried to ride up the hill and the bike just didn't have enough go juice to make it.

That being said I am not sure what would have happened if he had removed some of his gear from the bike and tried it again.

Are bikes were pretty much stock and we were running 13/47 and 13/48 gearing at the time.
Back to top Go down
Old Rider

Old Rider

PostSubject: Re: WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude?   WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Two of us did my "Bucklet List" ride to CO last year.  13/47 gearing with stock motors.  Would not pull Imogene, Schofield, and others,  12-13k, in second.  If you don't mind buzzing the motor in first, it's ok.  Over Hwy 50, Monarch Pass, cars were trying to run over us.  Hence, I bought a DR650 hoping the extra torque helps.  For dual sport rides rides at lower altitude that would include lots of single track, I will ride the WR250.

The WR ran good at altitude and got great mileage, but you can only do so much with 250cc.  However, when we bought the bikes, we sort of knew this would be the case.  My friend is an A enduro rider, and he was pretty bored with the bike and sold his.  For me, at my age, it was ok, if only it had more torque.  I have ridden mine with a 49 tooth sprocket and it helps make 2nd more usable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude?   WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude? Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R - enough power for hills at hi altitude?
Page 1 of 1