Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?

Go down 
+4
ezrdr55
Ziabeam
morgan9283
Gath3r13
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  Empty
PostSubject: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 7:30 am

What is cost effective, but still good quality and won't hurt the bike? From what I can tell, it needs a low silicate formula, but are there any specific brands that are good for an aluminum system? scratch

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm liking "Engine Ice".

Believe it or not, I think the Fan comes on less since using it.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 6:52 am

Gath3r13 wrote:
I'm liking "Engine Ice".

Believe it or not, I think the Fan comes on less since using it.

Engine Ice ... I'll have go google it and find out where they sell it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 12:31 pm

zone47 wrote:
What is cost effective, but still good quality and won't hurt the bike?   From what I can tell, it needs a low silicate formula, but are there any specific brands that are good for an aluminum system?   scratch

Thanks!

Page 7-16 of the owners manual specifies the coolant, Recommended antifreeze: High-quality ethylene glycol anti- freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines. You should be able to buy that inexpensively at any auto parts store.

Engine Ice is fine but not cost effective.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 3:45 pm

morgan9283 wrote:
...Engine Ice is fine but not cost effective.
Cost effective is a relative term. Are there any definitive cooling comparisons ? A few degrees under severe conditions could avert cumulative damage... costly.
Back to top Go down
ezrdr55

ezrdr55

PostSubject: Cost Effective   What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 8:31 am

What is this "cost effective" of which you speak?  None of the 25+ bike that I've owned have been cost effective.  Why stop at the coolant?  wink
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 8:31 am

Well, first of all I need to figure out how to get the radiator cap off cry It seems to be stuck... I pressed down as hard as I could and it still won't twist off.

Anyway, I picked up some Prestone long life stuff supposedly good for anything. Silicate and phosphate free. I hope that is good enough. amazon
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:51 am

You have to undo the locking screw on the cap before you can take it off, look closely and you will see it on the side.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Yup, theres a small screw. I tossed mine for easy maintenance.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 6:43 am

Engine Ice is based on Propylene Glycol versus Ethylene Glycol which is sort of the standard engine coolant.

Both depress the freezing point of water and provide anti corrosion inhibitors.

What I see as a major selling point of propylene glycol is that it is non toxic to humans and animals - I have two knuckle head dogs that I worry about when ever I am changing engine coolant.

I was trying to look up some information (other than company propaganda) on how well the stuff cools when mixed with water. If I remember right from my days working with a major automotive company straight water is the best coolant in terms of cooling for an engine. But you run into issues with freezing and corrosion so additives were developed. I think that ethylene glycol is better at removing heat from the engine than propylene glycol but I am still trying to confirm that.

The fact that the radiator fan is not coming on as often may not be a good indicator of cooling efficiency since if the fluid is less efficient it would not carry heat away from the cylinder as effectively thereby the cylinder would run hotter but the coolant temperature would be depressed. This means the temperature switch on the rad fan would not see as high of a temperature thereby not turning on as often.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
You have to undo the locking screw on the cap before you can take it off, look closely and you will see it on the side.

Oh sure enough .... I need to start wearing bifocals or something!!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Progressive lens`s work the best hahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?    What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?  Empty

Back to top Go down

What kind of antifreeze should I use in this Yamaha?
Page 1 of 1