Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
motif

why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? Empty
PostSubject: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi,
I have that weird effect when I set the clutch lever free play when bike is cold
and then ride it hard off-road feathering the clutch I end up with much bigger free play to the point the clutch does not disengage  completely when operating with 2 fingers only. What is the cause of this behavior Is it because bike is new? kinda annoying
adjusting the lever constantly.
thanks
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm

The heat you are generating through friction causes the clutch plates to swell just enough to move the clutch pressure plate away from the push rod, resulting in more clutch lever play.

This is nothing new and has been experienced by riders for decades.
This is why the motocross bikes and the WR250F come with "on the fly" clutch cable slack adjusters.

My advice is to change your engine oil often (as well as service your air filter often) and have new clutch plates and springs and a gasket on hand for the day it starts slipping constantly.

Back to top Go down
motif

PostSubject: Re: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:19 pm

YZEtc wrote:
The heat you are generating through friction causes the clutch plates to swell just enough to move the clutch pressure plate away from the push rod, resulting in more clutch lever play.

This is nothing new and has been experienced by riders for decades.
This is why the motocross bikes and the WR250F come with "on the fly" clutch cable slack adjusters.

My advice is to change your engine oil often (as well as service your air filter often) and have new clutch plates and springs and a gasket on hand for the day it starts slipping constantly.

thanks, another words its normal. Great! can I fit to wr250r such on the fly adjuster?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 pm

Probably.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 10:08 am

motif wrote:
thanks, another words its normal. Great!  can I fit to wr250r such on the fly adjuster?

You can put any clutch lever with on the fly adjustment that fits a yz/wrf on the wrr if you want to.
The only down side is you will lose the clutch starter safety switch.

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 11:37 am

Perhaps add a bigger rear sprocket to minimize the problem :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?   why clutch free play is increasing when feathering? Empty

Back to top Go down

why clutch free play is increasing when feathering?
Page 1 of 1