Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bolt kits - one tool approach

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lancek

Bolt kits - one tool approach Empty
PostSubject: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 5:50 am

Has anyone done a swap out of stock bolts to minimise tools needed in the field?

Cleaned my bike today and it needed a 8mm and 10mm socket, 2 sizes of Allen keys and a Phillips screw driver (had to do some work on my bars as well)

Would love to go tool less as much as/if possible and hoping I can learn from others experiences

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 6:30 am

I bought mine in very used condition. As I went over the whole bike, i changed a lot of the bolts to a 10mm head, changed the under seat-bolts for wingbolts aswell. Still need to make the stock fuseblock accessibe without tools, perhaps I can scoop in a wingbolt aswell.
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 7:20 am

Excellent I just need to spend the time and document all the bolts and go frome there.

Seems bizarre there are 3 different types of fasteners all doing the same job on the bars alone!
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 10:48 am

I have done this to mine.

All the bolts for the side panels, seat, gas tank, rad shrouds and airbox door are the exact same size treads but have different heads on them.
I switched them all to allen heads so all I need is one allen wrench to pull the tank or change the filter.
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach EmptySat Nov 28, 2015 3:15 am

Just about there replaced all bar 2 sets of bolts, only shame at the moment is the Allen key size is different between the 5 & 6mm bolts but hey I've halved the tools already

Had to lop the end off a few to get correct size but pretty much everything was between 15 & 35mm

The 5mm bolts were for the handlebar controls
Back to top Go down
Gravelin Gary

PostSubject: Re: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 4:59 pm

My 08 had Dzus connectors installed for the side panels and the air box door. I added hand turn fasteners for the seat so 80% of the needed access is tool free. Here is a link to the site he purchased the fasteners from. The invoice was included with the documentation he provided but I have since forgotten how much he spent.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=104

I know, I know, but it's not what it looks like! Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bolt kits - one tool approach   Bolt kits - one tool approach Empty

Back to top Go down

Bolt kits - one tool approach
Page 1 of 1