Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Which oversized fuel tank?

Go down 
+2
Biglake
CRFan1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CRFan1

Which oversized fuel tank? Empty
PostSubject: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:05 am

Guys, I am picking up a used 2015 WR250R on Thursday and the first thing I want to do is pick up an oversized tank for it. In doing searches it seems that IMS is the only option? is that true? Anyone else make a tank for this bike that is any good or should I just stick with the IMS 3 gallon.....

Any advice would be welcome!
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 8:04 pm

It all depends on how far you need to ride between gas stations.

For some guys, myself included the stock tank is fine as the guys I ride with run out of gas a bit before me now.

Others like the ims 3.1 gal tank as you can go about 150 miles per tank.

Some guys need even bigger tanks to ride to places out in the desert like the ims 4.7 or safari 4 gal tank, these will get you a couple hundred miles per tank.
One plus to having one of the 4 or 4.7 gal tanks is they're a rad guard too so theres no need to add a rad guard. thumb
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 10:20 pm

CRFan1 wrote:
Guys,  I am picking up a used 2015 WR250R on Thursday and the first thing I want to do is pick up an oversized tank for it.  In doing searches it seems that IMS is the only option?  is that true?  Anyone else make a tank for this bike that is any good or should I just stick with the IMS 3 gallon.....

IMS for sure.3.1 gallons if you want to keep the talk style of the bike. 4.7 if you want range. I have the 4.7 and I am happy.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks guys most likely going to do the IMS 3.1...:)
Back to top Go down
Plebeian

Plebeian

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 1:09 pm

dfoustou wrote:
CRFan1 wrote:
Guys,  I am picking up a used 2015 WR250R on Thursday and the first thing I want to do is pick up an oversized tank for it.  In doing searches it seems that IMS is the only option?  is that true?  Anyone else make a tank for this bike that is any good or should I just stick with the IMS 3 gallon.....

IMS for sure.3.1 gallons if you want to keep the talk style of the bike. 4.7 if you want range. I have the 4.7 and I am happy.

Just curious, why would you say IMS for sure? Has the 3.7 Safari been found to have issues?

Sorry if this is a horse situation...
Back to top Go down
Monica

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 7:26 am

Bringing this up...

I've got a 3.7 on my '09. I've run it for about year. I haven't had any trouble with it in this time. No leaks before or after a fuel pump replacement earlier this year. I can see the fuel level which is nice. By the time my riding buddies stop to refuel I'm just above my low fuel light mark. Of course, I still take on fuel.

I'm considering dropping to the 3.1. I wonder if it'll be a better knee position when standing. As it is, I do not have a good grip on the tank due to the shape. However, I've gotten use to the capacity and always having gas in the tank, even when I'm on the low side.

My biggest question is, will I miss that .6 of a gallon? How much fuel am I actually using? What are the level marks on my tank?

I have a mental/visual mark of the fuel in my tank on rides, but no actual measurements. That should help me answer my question to downsize or not.

So that's my homework. I'll figure it out and post back here in case it helps anyone else.

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptySun Jul 26, 2020 12:06 am

Monica wrote:
I'm considering dropping to the 3.1.  I wonder if it'll be a better knee position when standing.  As it is, I do not have a good grip on the tank due to the shape.

You shouldn't be trying to grip the tank in any situation I can think of; who teaches that?

I used to race MX and Enduro (not on the WRR obviously), and the 4.7 gal IMS tank doesn't bother me at all.
Back to top Go down
Monica

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptySun Jul 26, 2020 3:45 pm

johnkol wrote:
Monica wrote:
I'm considering dropping to the 3.1.  I wonder if it'll be a better knee position when standing.  As it is, I do not have a good grip on the tank due to the shape.

You shouldn't be trying to grip the tank in any situation I can think of; who teaches that?

I used to race MX and Enduro (not on the WRR obviously), and the 4.7 gal IMS tank doesn't bother me at all.

No one teaches a one handed person how to ride. We just figure it out on our own.

You sound amazing though, truly inspirational. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 am

Monica wrote:
No one teaches a one handed person how to ride.  We just figure it out on our own.

You attend any good off-road school, and the vast majority of the drills have to be performed with your left hand literally behind your back.

You go to any trackday school, they teach you to steer with one hand.

In both cases you never grip the bike with your legs, arms, hands, or any other part of your body.

But you seem to have figured out everything by yourself, so there's no need to listen to anyone else - just keep on doing whatever you've always been doing.
Back to top Go down
Monica

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am

johnkol wrote:
Monica wrote:
No one teaches a one handed person how to ride.  We just figure it out on our own.

You attend any good off-road school, and the vast majority of the drills have to be performed with your left hand literally behind your back.

You go to any trackday school, they teach you to steer with one hand.

Again, you're amazing cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which oversized fuel tank?   Which oversized fuel tank? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which oversized fuel tank?
Page 1 of 1