Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wheel recommendation?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DS123

Wheel recommendation? Empty
PostSubject: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm looking to upgrade to new rims as I hear these stockers are soft. Can anyone recommend where I can get a set of custom rims for my WR250R? I do NOT want Warp9 wheels, prefer DID or Excel.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 12:26 pm

DS123 wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade to new rims as I hear these stockers are soft.

Upgrade? This is the first I've heard of this, so please forgive that I can't help but be curious about the source. I ride my bike pretty hard in some pretty rough off-road terrain with 12 psi in my D606 tires and haven't had any issues with wheels bending or gouging. Also, the stock WRR wheels seem to be pretty popular with the supermoto crowd that wants a dirt setup too.
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 4:24 pm

wwguy wrote:
DS123 wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade to new rims as I hear these stockers are soft.

Upgrade?  This is the first I've heard of this, so please forgive that I can't help but be curious about the source.  I ride my bike pretty hard in some pretty rough off-road terrain with 12 psi in my D606 tires and haven't had any issues with wheels bending or gouging.  Also, the stock WRR wheels seem to be pretty popular with the supermoto crowd that wants a dirt setup too.

I was going by CycleWorld's magazine article where they upgraded the rims due to the stock rims getting dinged up. I'm not just getting the wheel to upgrade the stockers but to also have a back-up set of wheels when I head out of town.

Here is the CycleWorld Magazine article:http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/09/yamaha-wr250r-adventure-bike-conversion-project
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 6:20 pm

I hit a dirt road nugget with 15psi in the front tire and put a dent in the rim, nothing a piece of wood and a big hammer didnt fix, I now run 18 psi in the front and 14 in the rear. works fine for me on and off road.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 7:06 pm

The stock rims are typically softer than some of the aftermarket stuff, but the softer material takes a dent better without cracking, so it's a tradeoff. I haven't dented mine yet, and they've been through some rocky stuff. I run about 14 rear, 15-16 front in the dirt, then 20's on the road. Carry a little 12V pump in my tail bag and just hook it up to the bike battery to air up before I hit pavement. Only way I've found to have a good experience offroad and on since the pressures need to be different for each.
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Are Warp9 wheels any good? I talked to a pro racer who owns a suspension shop and he said he was warp9 wheels on his wr250r (one of his many bikes) and he loves them, no problems. However, I've heard some people online say they are not the best. Anyone familiar with SM Pro wheels?
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: sm pro wheels   Wheel recommendation? EmptyMon May 30, 2016 1:50 pm

I've had a set of sm pro wheels on my wr for about 25,000 miles. I'm not a wheel expert and I'm not a great rider. Having said that, these wheels have been through Baja, Death Valley, much of southern Utah, and the OBDR. They've seen their fair share of rocks. The rims are still solid with no deformations. Originally the wheels were black and they have now faded to a sort of gold color. I'm pretty happy with them. I would suggest balancing your wheels when you install new tires. My tires are now lasting much longer without strange wear patterns. Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel recommendation?   Wheel recommendation? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheel recommendation?
Page 1 of 1