Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gearing mod recommendations

Go down 
+4
Jens Eskildsen
CRFan1
Banky
zone47
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Gearing mod recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 8:20 am

I still have the stock gearing on my WRR but would like to experiment with shorter gearing to give the bike just a bit more power.
I think the stock gearing is 13 - 43 teeth, so what do you guys recommend, going one smaller in the front or a couple larger in the rear?

Also what brands / materials are good quality and who has good prices? I know that's a lot of questions, but this is such a great bike and I want to maximize it's potential. Thanks! thumb
Back to top Go down
Banky

Banky

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 am

I just went to a 45T rear, needed to get a new chain to go with it, got a 120 link but cut it down to 110 links. worked like a champ. still have enough to (speedo corrected) go 86 mph. but have just a little more gittyup on dirt in 1-3. 1st is basically a tractor gear now LOL.

Got an RK master link chain and a JT sprockets rear sprocket.
If you do a different setup than I mentioned you need a motion pro chain breaker tool.
Also need something to grind off most of the rivet head pins if you get too long of a chain.

I didn't do a front because I didn't want to deal with the Nut that your supposed to replace everytime.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:00 am

I just went to a 48 tooth rear (stock 13 front) and this is the way the bike should come from the factory!  It is way more lively and the power is more useable.  You can actually accelerate in 6th gear now, lol.  With the 48 tooth I am still able to cruise 65 very comfortably and top speed is still like 84.  I also went 48 tooth because I plan on installing D606's which are a bit taller tire but it is great with the stock tires too.

Me personally, I would go AT LEAST 47 in the rear.....

Got my stuff here...they even cut the chain to length:

http://sprocketcenter.com/off-road-sprockets/yamaha/wr-models/wr-250r-2008-2015/520-chain-kit-jt-brand-steel-sprocket-set-with-your-choice-of-chain-yamaha-wr250r-08-15.html
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:38 am

If used for mostly street and some light offroad, something like 45 in the rear with the stock 13 would be good. If youre getting a new chain, consider going with 14/48 instead. (same actual gearing, but with a bigger front sprocket for a little bit less wear.)

I know most people say to run a 48 og bigger in the rear (with 13 in front) for me that seems to low if youre running big stretches of tarmac.

I've choosen 14/49, and change to a 13 for endurostuff...When i just play around on a private mini mx-track, I usually dont bother swithcing to a 13. If I know I will be riding in a lof of sand, i will go 13/51 as I have a spare 51 rear lying on a shelf. It makes reving the bike out in the higher gears a lot easier in thick sand. This is for dedicated offroad use, and I only ose it when we rent military exercise areas where they train with their 4x4's ect..

This is 14/49, plenty of grunt for a little sandy hillclimb, and 3rd gear wheelies, so a smaller rear should be fine for normal dualsport.

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 5:09 pm

I see in your sig your bike is lowered.

You should run a 14 tooth front sprocket to keep the chain from digging into the slider.
You will want a 49, 50 or 51 on the back with the 14 front.

Its hard to pick gearing for some one else as I don't know how or where you ride. I run 14-50 for a mix of extremely technical off road, dirt roads and back roads, I ride very little highway but the bike will still do it. I like this gearing as I use all the gears, first for slow technical stuff and 6th on the dirt roads and pavement, I found with lower gearing like 13-50 I never used first and 6th is revvy on the road, with stock gearing I was in 5th doing the speed limit on back roads as 6th was too tall.

If you want to stick with the 13 tooth front 46-48 teeth on the rear sprocket is good. 14-50 is half way between 13-46 and 13-47 btw.

Edited to add.
Buy steel sprockets, the brand is not important, same with the chain, get a X or Z ring chain of whichever brand you want.
The one chain I don't recommend is the SRT O ring chain, its a really good chain but taller than normal which puts it even closer to the slider so its not a good chain for a WRR/WRX.
Back to top Go down
ADVFTW

ADVFTW

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptySun May 01, 2016 8:03 pm

I went with a Primary Drive brand 47t rear it was fairly inexpensive, and 112 link D.I.D. chain. I think I could have got away with 110, but I still have plenty of room for the chain to stretch and still utilize the chain adjusters. I absolutely love the change, and have no regrets, its perfect in the woods for me and works well on the highway. if you look at gear commander you'll notice at 55-60mph the R.P.M. doesn't change a whole lot, I think (6-700)? don't quote me on that but I think it's close.

Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyMon May 02, 2016 11:15 am

If you want ultimate flexibility, I would roll with 13/48 or 13/49 on a 112 link chain, then keep a 14T front available for when you know you will be on the road for long periods of time. The 112 chain will fit both setups.

13/48 or 13/49 will increase your zip dramatically, and still cruise at like 60ish. Switch to the 14T front on the same 112 chain, and you can cruise at 70 and still be a little more peppy than the stock 13/43.

If you are religious about chain maintenance, there's no need for o/x ring chains that add resistance on small-bore thumpers. If you are casual about it like me, I would pop for an x-ring chain.

BTW- I also highly recommend getting a 12oclocklabs SpeedoDRD unit. If you switch to 13/48 or 13/49 your speedo and odo will be off by 20-25%. That installs in under 5 minutes and allows you to adjust for tire size, gearing, etc to stay accurate.
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptyThu May 05, 2016 1:57 pm

I switched from stock to 13/48 recently and love the added grunt in dirt!
That said, I'm not keeping up with the KLRs so well on pavement.. at least until we hit dirt and the KLRs are left in my WR-dust Peace YAM
Very noticeable how much less room I have in each gear.
However, I'm using third and fourth much more on dirt and that's A-OK with me!

I'm temped to switch back to stock gearing for comfort, but won't unless I injure myself and have to take some time away from the back country.

Speaking of which, how should I store my stock chain in case I use it again in the future? Oil bath?

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptySun May 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Clean it and lube it up real good so everything gets covered.

I store my spare chain in the paper and box from the new chain.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:08 pm

I have a spare did x ring chain from my old gasgas which was still in pretty good shape when the alum sprocket wore out stored in a zip lock bag which has enough motor oil in it the chain stays covered. This is over kill but it will never rust, as long as its coated in some type of oil or lube and stored in a dry place it wont rust and will be a good spare if you ever need it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearing mod recommendations   Gearing mod recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearing mod recommendations
Page 1 of 1