Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need recommendations for the perfect map

Go down 
+3
speersie
Biglake
LoneWolfRider
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LoneWolfRider

Need recommendations for the perfect map Empty
PostSubject: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 8:50 pm

After reading for hours about mods, and programmers etc I'm still not sure what map to use.
This is my first post on this form but I am fairly active on ADVrider

I will be taking my bike around the world for 2 years so MPG's and reliability are important to me... probably more important than huge HP gains.

I will weigh about 190lbs with my gear on and the bike will have about 110lbs of gear

PowerCommader5
I have a powerbomb header, I think I will keep the stock exhaust for now so I can stay a little be more incognito in unknown places
I will remove the EXUP and AIS and remove the flapper

I don't want to drill out my airbox and risk having water in there during river crossings.

I was also thinking about a GYTR multi stage air filter.

Can anyone recommend any other mods I should consider and a map that would suit what I'm looking to do?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 pm

If I was going to ride the bike around the world Id leave it stock as stock is the most reliable set up.

It will run better with a pc5 tho. Someone may have a custom map for you, but the one from power commander for a stock exhaust will be fine too.

The hole I cut in the top of the air box is better protected from water than the stock opening so open the air box up if you want to other than making more intake noise theres no down side to it if you have a programmer to go with the extra air.
Dont cut holes in the airbox door or remove the airbox door if you ride offroad, cut a 2x2 hole directly above the air filter, this area stays cleaner than the back 1/2 of the airbox where the stock opening is.

I have the gytr air filter, its works good thumb
Back to top Go down
LoneWolfRider

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks for the advice! I agree that a stock bike is probably more reliable, but I'm trying to find a comfortable balance of having an enjoyable amount of power with a reliable machine... I'm glad to hear the input on the air box mods
Back to top Go down
LoneWolfRider

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 pm

bump....

anyone?
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 am

LoneWolfRider wrote:
bump....

anyone?

I am keen to try this map https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11192-pcv-fuel-ignition-fuel-map-to-share and will when my Q4 turns up. But as for reliability and fuel economy this map was made for power so not what you are after.

I would suggest if you have a trip in mind like you suggest you might be better to spend some money and have a map made for you bike on a dyno. You may also want to invest into the PC autotune set up because fuel may vary widely when you travel. You can also run two maps which will change via a switch so you could run one for more power and switch back to a less aggressive map more for fuel conservation.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 am

1) If you're keeping the stock exhaust there's no reason to remove EXUP or AIS, in fact some people will say it's to your advantage to keep those things with the stock exhaust.

2) There is no "perfect map" that somebody else can give you. If you want that you'll have to either buy an Auto-tune and futz with it for a while, or you'll need to cough up money for a dyno session.

3) Other mods - bigger gas tank, gearing, different seat, suspension come to mind real quick.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:21 am

speersie wrote:
LoneWolfRider wrote:
bump....

anyone?

I am keen to try this map https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11192-pcv-fuel-ignition-fuel-map-to-share and will when my Q4 turns up. But as for reliability and fuel economy this map was made for power so not what you are after.

I would suggest if you have a trip in mind like you suggest you might be better to spend some money and have a map made for you bike on a dyno. You may also want to invest into the PC autotune set up because fuel may vary widely when you travel. You can also run two maps which will change via a switch so you could run one for more power and switch back to a less aggressive map more for fuel conservation.

my autotune took so much fuel out of this map (my target AFR's were 13.2 up top and 13.8 cruise/down low)
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:26 am

If you want it reliable and have good MPG then leave it stock.  Maybe play with the CO adjustment a little but I would probably leave that alone myself.

Anything else you add on top of the stock system just adds complexity and other opportunities for failure.

What are you going to gain with a Programmer and Aftermarket Exhaust? 2 maybe 3 hp... Is that benefit worth the risk of failure?

After pulling my PCV I am getting more convinced that the unit was contributing to slow and no starts on my WRR. I saw the same issue with my FMF programmer before that. Granted it doesn't happen often but it happens enough to piss me off.

I suppose the worse case is if you trash the PCV on the route you just pull it off the bike and you should be ok.

But if it was me, and it may be me some day (yes I am jealous of your trip) I would probably remove the AIS, EXUP, cut open the stock muffler and pull the cat. You basically are eliminating things that could cause you some grief on the trip. Just had a friend of mine who was riding her R6 out in the desert become stranded because her EXUP valve failed in the closed position. Now I suspect if she knew a bit more about her bike (good rider but not a good wrench) she probably could have gotten it running and made it back home without much fuss. So in my mind the less shite you have on the bike the less that can go wrong.

The only reason I would stick with the stock can is you don't need to repack the muffler every so many miles. Either that or I would put my GSXR1000 can back on the bike and check it on the dyno just to make sure I am not too lean.

However, bear in mind that Yamaha Engineers probably have ran this bike through countless hours of durability testing which may explain why some things are the way they are. That alone would probably steer me towards just leave the thing stock.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 am

Right now I have been getting pretty good mileage with my current map(leovince w/spark arrestor), best is 59mpg so far and surely more consistent throttle input and turning off the accel pump feature would return higher results. Right now I have the air box top removed, the exhaust is stock but slightly modified, and my gearing is 13-45.

I actually just re-installed my EXUP servo to determine its effect on sound output, but found that at least with these mods/settings it merely provided a pleasant improvement in drivability. Allowing the same or possibly greater acceleration with seemingly less throttle when actuated. I suspect it may require being more free flowing and/or richer to take advantage of this though..

I even rode around looking down at the exhaust butterfly without its cover to see what is going on. I never saw it close/restrict more than about 25% of what it could and never stayed actuated for more than half of a second or so, just a blip.  

When it would actuate it was directly proportionate to the abruptness of how the throttle is opened somewhat similar to an accelerator pump. Quick throttle applications produce about 1/8th of closure, while the fastest throttle inputs produced not much more than about a 1/4 of closure, calm accelerations through the throttle range even up to WOT would not actuate the valve at all.

Best I could tell (it was hard), it never closed/restricted at any specific rpm(s), load, throttle position, or other suspected condition and did not affect sound output. For right now id like to believe the exup is more beneficial. Although I need some more ride time to determine if at high rpm(around peak power) but low or closed throttle will the exup try to actuate when the throttle is pinned open causing a brief restriction.
Back to top Go down
LoneWolfRider

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 7:43 pm

motokid: I plan to leave the stock can but change the header, I thought the EXUP and AIS were in the Header pipe? I understand there is no "perfect map" I just wanted to see if there was something out there that someone was happy with that I might try. Also, I have a few sponsors for my trip and have Tank, Seat and a bunch of other goodies on the way.

rsteiger: I understand that stock is simple, however, by replacing the stock header and all its associated EXUPs and AIS's and whatvere else with a straight pipe seems to make sense as it is simpler to have none of that stuff..... or so I think. I'm still trying to learn about this stuff and maybe try some different options out before I leave.

blusmoke: thats interesting what you report about watching the valve. thanks
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 10:15 pm

LoneWolfRider wrote:
motokid: I plan to leave the stock can but change the header, I thought the EXUP and AIS were in the Header pipe? I understand there is no "perfect map" I just wanted to see if there was something out there that someone was happy with that I might try. Also, I have a few sponsors for my trip and have Tank, Seat and a bunch of other goodies on the way.

rsteiger: I understand that stock is simple, however, by replacing the stock header and all its associated EXUPs and AIS's and whatvere else with a straight pipe seems to make sense as it is simpler to have none of that stuff..... or so I think. I'm still trying to learn about this stuff and maybe try some different options out before I leave.

The EXUP is in the stock muffler. Just disconnect the servo drive from it if you don't want it to hang up - it is spring loaded and will stay in the open position. If you want you could probably drill out the ends and remove the flapper then weld it back up. Just beware that you may give up some low end grunt on fast throttle movements when you remove it. But if you are going to do all that then why not cut the stock can open and remove the catalytic converter at the same time. The AIS port is built into the side of the head and not the header pipe. You can remove that assembly and use a plate to block it off.

Not to be bashing you but it seems the you may want to aquatint yourself with the bike first before deciding to rip all the stock hardware off. It actually runs pretty well with the right gearing.
Back to top Go down
LoneWolfRider

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 pm

rsteiger wrote:
LoneWolfRider wrote:

The EXUP is in the stock muffler.  Just disconnect the servo drive from it if you don't want it to hang up - it is spring loaded and will stay in the open position.  If you want you could probably drill out the ends and remove the flapper then weld it back up.  Just beware that you may give up some low end grunt on fast throttle movements when you remove it.   But if you are going to do all that then why not cut the stock can open and remove the catalytic converter at the same time.  The AIS port is built into the side of the head and not the header pipe.  You can remove that assembly and use a plate to block it off.

Not to be bashing you but it seems the you may want to aquatint yourself with the bike first before deciding to rip all the stock hardware off.  It actually runs pretty well with the right gearing.

You're right, Just finished taking the seat and side plastics off to have a good look at everything and it's all pretty obvious. I'll post back when I've made some decisions
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need recommendations for the perfect map   Need recommendations for the perfect map Empty

Back to top Go down

Need recommendations for the perfect map
Page 1 of 1