Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hyperpro suspension

Go down 
+3
wwguy
banshee01
Two times
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Two times

Two times

Hyperpro suspension Empty
PostSubject: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptySun May 01, 2016 9:37 am

Hi,
I am looking to upgrade my WRR suspension.
does anyone in here familiar with Hyperpro products?

I read somewhere that they are offering a complete aftermarket rear-shocks, and also progressive spring kits for the WR250R.
(FORK-KIT/ SHOCK-KIT/ COMBI-KIT: SP-YA02-SSA020 / SP-YA02-SSB020 / SP-YA02-SSC020).

Would like to read some reviews/feedbacks before I make decisions.
Back to top Go down
banshee01

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyThu Dec 15, 2016 10:28 pm

End up buying this?
Back to top Go down
Two times

Two times

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 5:22 am

About a week ago, Hyperpro came out with an aftermarket fully adjustable complete rear shock.
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t13154-hyperpro-fully-adjustable-rear-shocks
That changed everything.
I think that this Hyperpro complete rear shock is the best possible upgrade to the WRR rear suspension, so after the winter I intend to buy this "TYPE 461" rear shock that they offer.

Consequently, I am no longer interested in their progressive spring kits. at least not for now, and definitely not for the rear suspension.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 12:47 pm

If you're going to make statements like this it would be best if you can back them up with experience or other quantifiable and verifiable information.  So why do you think this new offer is "the best possible upgrade" for our bikes, especially since nobody has even provided first-hand feedback about how it performs on the WRR/X?

There are already many happy WRR riders, including me, on the upgraded GoRace and Race Tech shocks that cost $400 less than the Hyperpro 461.  Both of those less expensive options can easily be serviced with parts readily available here in the USA.  (I have no idea where you live because you didn't say and it's not in your forum profile.)

I'm not saying that the Hyperpro 461 is a bad choice, because I really don't know.  But it is untested and uncommon for our bikes, and it's more than twice as expensive as other proven upgrade options.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Ditto. The stock rear shock is actually pretty darned good, once it's set up properly. I'm quite happy with it and I've ridden a number of dirt bikes with modified and stock suspension. The Go-Race rear is night and day over the stocker, and I'm into it just over $500 including the heavier spring I needed. Would only have been $380 or so without the spring. A piggyback shock is preferable over an emulsion shock only. I can see the remote reservoir being a good option if it works well, but the valving needs to be different from any old off the shelf shock, since the WR250R and X use a different linkage rate from a number of the MX bikes. That's why the valving is different from the tuners. Right now, Hyperpro doesn't have any market penetration, so it's a complete unknown. The piggyback shock may end up being great, but I wouldn't go backwards with just a plain emulsion shock over a rebuilt stocker.

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 2:10 am

Traveller wrote:
Right now, Hyperpro doesn't have any market penetration, so it's a complete unknown.

First of all, I do not agree that the OEM shock is pretty good; its complete lack of rebound damping makes it pretty awful in my book.

Secondly, Hyperpro is a well-known and well-respected brand both in Europe and here, especially for their BMW shocks; I would say it has as much brand recognition in Europe as Penske has here.

Thirdly, an emulsion shock is only inferior to a remote-reservoir shock if all other things are kept equal -- and in the WRR case, all other things are not equal: despite all its adjustments, the stock shock is poorly engineered and constructed. I used to race on emulsion shocks, and their only problem was fading when raced in hot weather; the solution was easy though: just increase rebound damping by a couple of clicks. In my opinion, only nationally-ranked racers would overwhelm an emulsion shock.

As far as the economics are concerned, the Go-Race revalve/respring seems like folly to me: you spend $500 on an upgrade with zero resale value. For $750 you could buy the remote-reservoir Hyperpro, custom-sprung and valved to your requirements, and with the first service included in the price. On top of that, you could easily sell it for at least $400 when you decide to get rid of the WRR, so in the end the Hyperpro would cost you less than the OEM rebuilt. If you don't plan on ever selling the WRR, then you can sell the OEM, so the Hyperpro still comes cheaper.

I simply cannot see a way that a professional rebuilt of the OEM makes more sense than buying the Hyperpro. The only case for a rebuilt stock shock, is if you do it yourself for less than $200 in parts -- and even then it's marginal against the emulsion Hyperpro.

Personally, I would have definitely picked up the Hyperpro if I hadn't already purchased the Gold Valve kit; even now I'm debating whether to install it, or sell it and get the Hyperpro.

BTW, don't take the above as a criticism of your decision; I'm simply putting my thoughts together to see whether I can be steered one way (keep Gold Valves) or another (get Hyperpro), so differing opinions are welcomed and encouraged.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm not saying the Hyperpro is bad.   For the price point, it looks like a solid option.   I've been riding since the 70's however, and have experienced shock fade from emulsion shocks versus piggyback or remote reservoir.   If I'm going to step up to aftermarket, it would have to be a remote or piggyback.  

The stock shock is abysmal on the rebound.  It really is poorly damped stock.   However, it's a solid design, just poorly executed.  Couple issues, one is that the piston doesn't seal well against the inside of the shock body.   Another is the seal head assembly and seal are issues, and there's the poorly finished piston and a couple other minor issues.  There's also the issue of the shock only having about half the oil in that it should and the shim stack being wrong.  It's made by Soqi of Japan, and it's just not well assembled.  Interestingly, the factory still hasn't caught on to the aftermarket fixing their issues, as they are still shipping them without enough oil, and the wrong internal tolerances.  

I've discussed with Travis at Go Race what he actually does, and he does quite a bit.  For the price point, you can get the stocker rebuilt with a new piston, valving, shaft seal and seal head, completely different valving and all the proper parts to make it work the way it's supposed to.  About the same cost as the emulsion shock with the right spring if you need one (on the stocker).  If you don't need a spring, doing a complete rebuild of the stock shock is less expensive, and it WORKS.   As in, works well.   Night and day difference versus stock.   For a dual sport, it makes it into an effective trail machine.  I've been running mine with it for a bit now, and really appreciate how much better the bike is in the rough stuff and at speed.

Race Tech does rebuilds, and several other shops around the country are doing successful rebuilds of the stock shock.  Travis at Go Race has just done a bunch of development work on the WR250R and X, and knows what it needs.  Since there's years of success with the stock shock, I was simply saying that it's not junk.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 10:47 pm

Traveller wrote:
The stock shock is abysmal on the rebound.  It really is poorly damped stock.   However, it's a solid design, just poorly executed.  Couple issues, one is that the piston doesn't seal well against the inside of the shock body.   Another is the seal head assembly and seal are issues, and there's the poorly finished piston and a couple other minor issues.  There's also the issue of the shock only having about half the oil in that it should and the shim stack being wrong.  It's made by Soqi of Japan, and it's just not well assembled.  Interestingly, the factory still hasn't caught on to the aftermarket fixing their issues, as they are still shipping them without enough oil, and the wrong internal tolerances.

After all these litanies of criticism, you still consider the OEM shock to be a "solid design"? You essentially listed all the components of the shock as necessitating replacement, so one wonders which part of the shock remains intact? The housing? That is what elevates the shock to "solid" status?

In my book, with all the problems you so accurately described (and with which I fully agree), the shock is classified as "junk".

I am not saying that the people providing shock rebuilds are not doing a good job -- I'm certain they do a great job from all the reports I have read. But what I am arguing is that the modifications make no financial sense anymore: the cheapest professional modification that I can find is around $300 (without a re-spring), and although the end result could be at the same level as the Hyperpro, this outlay does not provide any added value to the bike. The Hyperpro on the other hand could be re-sold for a net loss of less than $300, and during that time the owner enjoys a brand new shock built to their own specs, and with one rebuilt included in the price.

I simply cannot see a justification for rebuilding the OEM shock anymore.
Back to top Go down
rattlesnakeboys

rattlesnakeboys

PostSubject: Feedback on Hyperpro Shock?   Hyperpro suspension EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Has anyone pulled the trigger on the Hyperpro shock yet? The only review online I could find was from this gentleman, and it seems that he was the tester for the shock (he says that he was the first to install the hyperpro shock on his WR250R): https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2016/09/18/yamaha-wr250r-project-stage-1/

I am really curious as I am going to upgrade the rear shock (and the forks eventually), and I am hesitant to send away my OEM shock to a rebuilder.
Back to top Go down
rattlesnakeboys

rattlesnakeboys

PostSubject: Pulled the trigger.   Hyperpro suspension EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 11:26 am

So I ended up calling Klaus at epm and ordered the type 461 shock based on good feedback I saw regarding him online at advrider. He said that it was the second order for a WR250R within a day, so I know that I'm not the only one who wants to purchase one of these. I am not a singletrack rider, my main concern is with the spring and the rebound dampening of the stock shock, keeping as much traction as I can get. I know that I could have just gotten a bigger spring (for my fat ass and aux tank etc on the rear) and turned up the rebound dampening all the way, but in the end I wanted a better-designed shock. I'll fiddle with the front forks myself.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 pm

rattlesnakeboys wrote:
So I ended up calling Klaus at epm and ordered the type 461 shock based on good feedback I saw regarding him online at advrider.  He said that it was the second order for a WR250R within a day, so I know that I'm not the only one who wants to purchase one of these.  I am not a singletrack rider, my main concern is with the spring and the rebound dampening of the stock shock, keeping as much traction as I can get.  I know that I could have just gotten a bigger spring (for my fat ass and aux tank etc on the rear) and turned up the rebound dampening all the way, but in the end I wanted a better-designed shock.  I'll fiddle with the front forks myself.

I will be pulling the trigger on one this weekend.
Back to top Go down
marleymouse

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension EmptyWed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm

At last someone is making a replacement for the comedy shock supplied by Yamaha..Can't believe it's taken this long good on hyperpro i have used their products before & have been impressed will be ordering one up & can finally bin the bouncy Chinese excuse Yamaha fitted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro suspension   Hyperpro suspension Empty

Back to top Go down

Hyperpro suspension
Page 1 of 1