Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Steering too loose or uneven?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Von551

Steering too loose or uneven?  Empty
PostSubject: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 7:08 pm

I have a 2016 WRR with 700 miles. I'm wondering if the steering is too loose or something? While riding it feels like it wants to pull left too sometimes. While in the stand the bars fall easily to the left when barely pushed from center. When pushed right though, the bars don't fall at all, they have to be pushed (lightly) all the way to the right. It's something not right?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 11:30 am

Put the bike on a stand so the front tire is off the ground, then grab the front wheel and pull it towards you and see if there is any play
in the top by the bars, crown`s, if there is adjust to spec.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 12:04 pm

+1 for Fiftygrit's suggestion. Steering tension or "looseness" is determined by pressure applied by the steering head nut to the bearings. It should turn freely but not so loose that the triple clamps and fork wobble, which is what he suggested you check. As there's only one set of bearings (upper and lower) I'm having a tough time imagining a scenario where bearing tension would affect turning the steering head in one direction but not in the other.

Have you installed handlebar risers or anything else that might affect routing or restriction of the controls cables?
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 1:40 pm

The cables often tend to make the bars "bind" slightly.
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

WW by steering head nut do you mean the one on top of the triple clamp or under it by the frame?
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 6:44 pm

I was referring to the pair of slotted ring nuts separated by a rubber washer and topped by a lock washer that fits into the slots on the rings nuts.  All are located just under the upper triple clamp, which must be removed to adjust them. To my knowledge there is no nut on the bottom side of the steering head.

Steering too loose or uneven?  8123921113_bda990b809_b
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering too loose or uneven?    Steering too loose or uneven?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering too loose or uneven?
Page 1 of 1