Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Interchange (fork swap)

Go down 
+3
Biglake
wwguy
Two times
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Two times

Two times

Interchange (fork swap) Empty
PostSubject: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptySun Jun 12, 2016 9:48 am

**I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I'm a newbie so please bear with me.**

I am looking for an interchange "plug and play" solution for my wr250r front suspension.

Is it possible to swap the forks of a wr250r and other new dirt-bikes (with better stock suspension)?

lets say that I find a new yz-f or crf or whatever mx forks with approx the same over-all length (I know that mx forks comes with bigger wheel axle diameter... for the sake of argument let's say that i also have a matching yz-f front wheel in my possession).

Can i fit a mx forks such as this on my wr250r triple tree clamp?

I know that the fork inner tube diameter of the wrr is 46mm, and that new mx yz-f/ kx-f etc forks inner tube diameter is 48mm.
but is there such a big difference in outer tube diameter? can't I improvise/ adjust/ fit it somehow?
i mean if you take a look at the wrr triple tree clamps: the forks are not 100% infolded anyway... the clamps are not tightened over the forks. there is a small gap. and we are talking about millimeters here...

Alternatively, can I make a swap between a stock (or even adjustable aftermarket) yz-f triple tree clamp and a wrr triple tree clamp?

(of course i am not asking moneywise. only from a technical point of view: can it be done?)
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptySun Jun 12, 2016 11:07 am

I've read of people putting YZ forks on their WRRs.  I can't remember if adapters were required for axles and/or brakes.  I do know that WRR forks are shorter than most other dirt bike forks.  YZ forks either need to be professionally shortened or extend a couple of inches above the WRR triple clamps.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptySun Jun 12, 2016 11:31 am

Slightly older yz and wr yamahas have 46 mm forks that can be fitted kinda easily onto the wrr.

Theres treads on how to swap em, the distance between the forks plus the wheels and brakes are a little different.

Even these older forks are a bunch better than the wrr forks as they have bigger base and mid valves which make them smoother.

If you don't mind raising the seat height, the 1 inch the longer forks raise the front isn't a problem as the wrr handles fine like that, in fact a bunch of guys lower the back 1 inch leaving the front stock with the stock forks which is about the same handling wise.

You could put the entire front end including the triple clamps off a brand new yz onto the wrr if you wanted too, it would be a bunch of work but is doable.
You cant put 48 mm forks in the 46 mm clamps tho.
Back to top Go down
bdubonthemic

bdubonthemic

PostSubject: Wr250r suspension swap   Interchange (fork swap) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Thank you for your write up on the suspension swap. I am really interested in making this swap on my 2013 wr250r and was wondering if it is possible to use the oem speedometer? Does the stock upper triple clamp work with other mx tubes? Just ordered a brand new oem speedometer so i would have the other features that the trail tech does not have.

Back to top Go down
resslerm

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 1:31 pm

I bought my WRX with 46mm forks from a 2003 WR450F on it. The PO had swapped the 21" wheel, forks, and brake setup. He used a WR250R master cylinder to utilize the brake switch.

I am actually selling that setup, if you are interested PM me.
Back to top Go down
EPiX

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm using YZ250F (03) on my WRR, nearly a complete bolt-on, it did raise the front about 1"
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 7:04 am

I dont think you will be happy with the longer forks, the stock fork is a pretty good fork as is, you can put a gold valve in it and make it better. Only the rear shock need a extra shim or two for rebound valving only
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 am

Just installing skf fork seals and race tech fork oil and change your oil level helps
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 7:49 am

When I installed the yz250 forks I like the performance of them but didn't like the height so I was determined to make the wrr forks better, I installed a gold valve iand springs in them and made them perform better then yz250, i had to change the valving three time to get them better.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interchange (fork swap)   Interchange (fork swap) Empty

Back to top Go down

Interchange (fork swap)
Page 1 of 1