Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Suspension or exhaust mods first?

Go down 
+5
Fuzzy Wrench
rsteiger
darngood1
05cr125r
Von551
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Von551

Suspension or exhaust mods first?  Empty
PostSubject: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyWed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 pm

I'm looking for input from those who have done both a full exhaust upgrade and suspension revalve and spring upgrade. I'm looking at Racetech for suspension revalve and springs along with a 1" internal lowering since I'm on the short side. I was quoted $1300 for the work. I'm also looking at getting a FMF Q4 exhaust with mega bomb header and EFI controller which runs about $900. I'm putting a 48 sprocket on soon, so I'm guessing that'll make my bike feel faster because of the lower gearing, so maybe suspension first? Thoughts? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
05cr125r

05cr125r

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 12:52 am

iv'e only put on a Q4 and that's it. Only thing iv'e done to suspension is replace a fork seal. The stock suspension is fine for the amount/kind of riding I do. But if I had to choose one or the other it would be suspension first.
Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 2:23 am

I'm betting most folks would advise suspension before exhaust and efi mods. Reason is that you would see a remarkable gain in off road control with a customized suspension setup, whereas there's not a large gain in power from the exhaust mods. You can ride far better with improved suspension than with a 2 HP gain. You will have plenty of torque once you change out that sprocket, and can always do the exhaust later.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 6:33 am

Been there and done that.

Messed with the exhaust and intake first and was underwhelmed by the change.. especially considering the money spent. Pretty much have the bike back to stock in that regard now.

The gearing change made a nice improvement for very little money - 13/48 seems to work the best for the riding I do on the WRR.

While the suspension mods were expensive (I sent mine out to GoRace) the bike handles so much better now and is a joy to ride especially off road. However, I am a big guy so at the very least I needed springs to get the sag on the bike right and then after that the valving work to get the compression and rebound right. If you are not a big guy I would first try setting the sag on the bike and then changing out the front fork oil to see what you get. Many have been happy with those two changes and it really doesn't cost a whole lot to do them.

One thing I learned a long time ago was you don't know what you are missing suspension wise until you have ridden a bike with a suspension that has been dialed in. It is a beautiful thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 9:37 am

Another vote for suspension. You'll ride faster and be in better control. Literally night and day offroad. Fun factor goes up considerably.
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Ok so sounds like suspension ftw! Question on exhaust then. If it doesn't make a huge difference, should I just do a muffler and efi programmer to get bike a little richer and hopefully run cooler?
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 11:38 pm

first and cheapest mod for me was gearing change (i'm running 13/50)..torquier and better on technical.. never even touched the suspension except lowering forks and shock (the cheap way).. i did adjust my clickers (took some time, learned some stuff)... most eye opening power mod was the fuel programmer and exhaust (fmf)...have fun!
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 10:31 am

Suspension
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 10:15 am

Suspension.

Having said that, I just sent my suspension to Go Race after having all the air/fuel mod's done for a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
kolotour

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi, you're going to do them both. Pick one first and then the other. Doesn't really matter. You won't be happy until their both done. And after you've done both you'll still be tinkering with them anyway. "What if I change front compression to 10 and rear rebound to 6, hummm??". "What will happen if I reinstall the stock muffler, hummmm??" It never ends!! baldy
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 8:33 pm

RSteiger gave great advice. Do the suspension then spend the rest on gas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension or exhaust mods first?    Suspension or exhaust mods first?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension or exhaust mods first?
Page 1 of 1