Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Big bore or stroker long term impressions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Big bore or stroker long term impressions Empty
PostSubject: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 7:45 pm

So, my wife says that I need something neat for Christmas.   Big bore kit was discussed.   Trying to decide if I should go 280, 290 or just get the whole shebang and go stroker/big bore.   I've seen the dyno sheets, and want real world impressions from the people running big bore or stroker conversions.

The reason I'm asking, is I'm torn between spending money on the blue wonder, or just stepping up to a larger displacement machine like a Beta 390 or 430 RR-S.   The WR suspension works quite well revalved for me, but it's not offroad racing suspension for sure.  The Beta stuff, with the addition of the proper springs for my weight, is supposed to be pretty dialed out of the box minus tweaking for each rider.  

Big issue is do I step out of a nearly done payment plan, into a larger payment on the big bike, or cough up for the stroker/big bore. Trying to decide which way to go at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyTue Dec 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Never mind. Keeping the blue bike, going with the 280 kit. Wife has expressed interest in a small dual sport. Anything that gets her participating deserves to be encouraged.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 9:23 am

Eif your young tall and can really ride you can hand a 400cc bike.i dont know about beta. For my age i know im faster on a 250 to 300 4 stroke. 2 strokes are harder to ride fast and them 400 big bore just wear you down. I have the wrr with 8000mi and it has racetech front and rear and it handles great. Your right 300cc wrr would be perfect.the 250 it has enough hp it neefs more low end torque
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 am

I use my wrr for harescrambles enduros and a lot if street. I ride and race with guys with bigger race bike and i can race with them if its setup right.im only under powered to the first turn and the electri start makes up for that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 9:38 am

Don't get me wrong, I would like the larger displacement bike, but for now my wife wants to ride. I'd rather spend the money getting her equipped and riding with me, then we can maybe address a larger bike for me down the road. I used to race big bore 2 strokes, but that was quite some time ago. They were arm stretchers and I loved them.

If she's wanting a light dual sport to connect trails around our area, I'm all for getting one. It would mean we would be able to ride right from the house and that means we'd ride more often. I'm all for that!
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 am

paulie1960 wrote:
Eif your young tall and can really ride you can hand a 400cc bike.i dont know about beta. For my age i know im faster on a 250 to 300 4 stroke. 2 strokes are harder to ride fast and them 400 big bore just wear you down. I have the wrr with 8000mi and it has racetech front and rear and it handles great. Your right 300cc wrr would be perfect.the 250 it has enough hp it neefs more low end torque

That depends on where you are riding. It’s hard to beat the little KTM 200 2T in the woods.
KTM 2T’s have adjustable power valves. You can make them lug like a tractor or hit like an MX bike.
There’s a reason why the KTM 300 is called a 3 stroke.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 am

I rode a 2013 ktm 200exc for 1 day on single track and i like my wrr better.. Wrr is smoother power better suspension seat height lower and more comfortable and planted. The ktm was more like a jack rabbit just my 2 cents..weight wise you cant really tell the wrr is any heavier i think because i have the wrr lower and the suspension is really setup perfectly for me
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 9:19 am

I really struggled all day with the ktm i think because seat height is higher and the forks deflect to much for me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Ordering the 280 kit Monday. Will take the engine out of the bike completely, as I'm planning on tearing it down on the bench. Going to take a look at the head and see if I can't wake it up a little before putting it back together.

Heading to a couple dealerships tomorrow to shop bikes for my wife.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 3:37 pm

all this talk about big bore kits I had to buy me a chistmas gift, found this on ebay item# 302149466827 athen big bore for $320, will see what im getting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Wife's bike found.   2017 KLX140G.   Found out about them a week ago, and it's perfect.  18/21 full size aluminum wheels, disc brakes front and rear, about 8" of suspension, seat height around 33.5"  Oh, and it's 218 lbs with a full tank ready to ride.  Perfect size for a smaller adult.  It fits my wife pretty well, but I'll lower it about an inch until she's more comfortable.   She'll be happier close to flat footing it instead of being on the balls of her feet.   Going to put a dual sport kit on it in a few months after she's used to riding the bike.  Got a pretty decent deal on it we feel, better than the local dealer.   Had to drive an extra 90 minutes round trip, but it was a fun road trip.   Took the car though, as we weren't necessarily planning on buying a bike, so have to take the truck over next weekend to pick it up.  

Then we'll do the big bore on my bike and try like hell to get out and ride more this year!
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 am

All you gear heads ther are some good engine calculators. Rough engine calculators and Wallace racing engine calculators.by my calculations a 290 big bore with 12.8 compression will. Give you 4hp more a 3mm stroker crank will increase 1hp more
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 7:52 am

You lose 1000 rpm with the 290 and 500 rpm with 3mm stroker. This is based on 10000rpm stock peak hp. And stock cross intake port area of 1.14
For the dirt thats what you want lower rpm more hp for the street it might not be as good
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 6:41 pm

[quote="paulie1960"]all this talk about big bore kits I had to buy me a chistmas gift, found this on ebay item#  302149466827  athen big bore for $320, will see what im getting
[/quoteJust finished my athena big bore kit, took at least 8hr to install, what a pain in the a**, just tried it down the drive way, now it can wheelie 1st and 2nd just by opening throttle. checked and adjusted valves clearances to and just in spec. on the tight side with 8000 mi.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big bore or stroker long term impressions   Big bore or stroker long term impressions Empty

Back to top Go down

Big bore or stroker long term impressions
Page 1 of 1