Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stroker crank

Go down 
+9
slvdirtrider
woodygumdrops
pbnut
soggytire
BuilderBob
liftdt4r
little squirt
spacecadet
TNkayaker
13 posters
AuthorMessage
TNkayaker

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:06 pm

Spotted 3MM stroker cranks for sale on E-bay. They don't give much info about them, except that they are new. I would love to do this mod in conjunction with the Athena big bore. Someone quick with math figure that up and tell us what the final displacement would be!

Very happy

Anybody else seen these or used one yet?

Mark
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:49 pm

i need to start reading twice apparently.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyTue May 31, 2011 2:04 pm

((3.1415 / 4) * 77 ^ 2 * 53.6 * 1 ) / 1000 ~= 249cc

so

((3.1415 / 4) * 77 ^ 2 * 56.6 * 1 ) / 1000 ~= 264cc
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyTue May 31, 2011 2:09 pm

spacecadet wrote:
((3.1415 / 4) * 77 ^ 2 * 53.6 * 1 ) / 1000 ~= 249cc

so

((3.1415 / 4) * 77 ^ 2 * 56.6 * 1 ) / 1000 ~= 264cc

well im bored at work so heres more math yay!

solving for the bore of the 290 kit:

sqrt((290* 1000) ) / ((3.1415/4) * 53.6) ~= 83

so with the big bore and stroker:

((3.1415 / 4) * 83^ 2 * 56.6 * 1 ) / 1000 ~= 306cc

approximately, also assuming my math is right, which is usually a bad assumption to make.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:28 pm

dont buy it, i already talked with hot rods and they confirmed the first batch of cranks had the wrong the timing chain sprocket and they were re-called. He said the new stroker crank will be available around july-ish.
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 am

Hey guys, I know this a real old thread but was there ever a correct one released? Also, has anyone installed it?

I still see the Hot Rods cranks on e-bay but I wasn't sure if they had the same issue as the older ones.

I'm wanting to do a stroker but I was hoping to do it at the same time as the big bore kit. Wasn't sure if anyone had programmer settings or a review of the stroker. Thanks guys!!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 am

liftdt4r wrote:
Hey guys, I know this a real old thread but was there ever a correct one released? Also, has anyone installed it?

I still see the Hot Rods cranks on e-bay but I wasn't sure if they had the same issue as the older ones.

I'm wanting to do a stroker but I was hoping to do it at the same time as the big bore kit. Wasn't sure if anyone had programmer settings or a review of the stroker. Thanks guys!!

Thumper Racing is doing a stroker crank. Contact Travis.
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 9:25 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rods-Stroker-Crankshaft-08-12-Yamaha-WR250-R-08-11-WR-250-X-Crank-3mm-263C-/130636220414?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6a8687fe&vxp=mtr#ht_1661wt_906

What about these? Is anyone running one? I heard some of the older ones had a problem with one of the gears.
Back to top Go down
soggytire

soggytire

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 1:06 am

liftdt4r wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rods-Stroker-Crankshaft-08-12-Yamaha-WR250-R-08-11-WR-250-X-Crank-3mm-263C-/130636220414?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6a8687fe&vxp=mtr#ht_1661wt_906

What about these? Is anyone running one? I heard some of the older ones had a problem with one of the gears.

These guys are about 2 hrs from me. I'll check them out next time I'm in their neck of othe Woods.

Back to top Go down

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 am

Can anyone explain the benefits of the Stroker Crank Kit?

I noticed on Hot Rod Products website, they list a gain of 3mm in piston travel which makes sense that it allows more gas & air, thus more compression and more power. Are there any other benefits or details that contribute to the kit's power gain?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 am

An extra 3mm of stoke bumps up the displacement, as well as compression as long as all other things remain the same.

I seem to recall someone posting a comment pertaining to squish bands. He mentioned that he had built some fast car motors in his day, and that the squish band in our little motors was quite large. Not exactly power-making friendly.
For a quick read about squish bands read this:
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_squish.shtml

It's written about Harleys and Buells, but the principles are the same.

Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4820p20-bent-connecting-rod

That's where the guy was talking about clearances. He referred to it as "quench" though.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Longer stroke = more torque. On the flip side, longer stroke also decreases maximum RPM before catastrophic damage.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Soo.. I know it's been a long time, but has anyone done this mod yet? Either the Hot Rod or the Thumper Racing 3mm crank?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 am

woodygumdrops wrote:
Soo.. I know it's been a long time, but has anyone done this mod yet? Either the Hot Rod or the Thumper Racing 3mm crank?
As soon as I get home...
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

I know it's been a while but I am looking to go big bore this winter and want to do a stroker crank at the same time.

Has anyone done this yet?

I'm mainly curious as to how to reflash the programmer. I know FMF will do it for a big bore kit but not sure if they'd do it for a stroker too or then which settings to run. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm waiting on parts...

I'm also running the Power Commander w/Autotune, so I can't comment on the other programmers.
Back to top Go down
slvdirtrider

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi all my stroker crank will be here next week. I've run the Athena 290 kit for two full years of racing and training. I have a full ported head and it gets new valves a springs this time. This bike is not street legal. It's striped to the last wire. I will be happy to post pictures and answer any questions..
Back to top Go down
aizatnorman

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 am

slvdirtrider wrote:
Hi all my stroker crank will be here next week. I've run the Athena 290 kit for two full years of racing and training. I have a full ported head and it gets new valves a springs this time. This bike is not street legal. It's striped to the last wire. I will be happy to post pictures and answer any questions..
everybody loves the illegal stuff! Lets see this bad boy! whats your setup like?
Back to top Go down
Justlookin

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I have almost 1000 miles on my WRR Athena/Hot Rods stroker winter project. Bike is a 2010 with 48ooo miles and has had nothing internal done to the engine, until now. From about 8000 miles I had done the basic uncork with a Power commander V and Autotune.
Install was not difficult and everything went smoothly with the exception of the cam chain tensioner which I was leery of the stocker, so I bought a mechanical. I have had no oil usage with the 2 ring Athena piston so far and I will keep a close eye on it. Original setup never used any oil so I would rarely check it.
Power of bike is very nice and bike will now lift front wheel in 2nd gear - short shift from 1st no clutch abuse just throttle. Vibration is so close to stock that I would have to ride a stocker back to back to tell the difference. I do believe that this would have come out completely differently without the Power Commander, even the idle fuel changed.
I was expecting a tired engine when I pulled it apart - never showed any tired symptoms but with 48000 miles I figured it just had to need piston, valves, crank bearings etc. I should have just left it alone - everything, even the valves looked fine. I think Yamaha built one tough little engine here.

Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Nice  thumb 

I'm assembling one slowly. I bought a Thumper balanced 306 kit from an inmate with a 3 ring CP piston.
The crank is in the cases & ssw ported the head. As soon as Travis (Thumper) gets done with the nodular iron cool flow sleeve he's making for me & installed in the used Athena jug I procured I'll get mine together.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptyMon May 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Wound up having Thumper Racing re plate the used Athena cylinder from the spare engine I bought. The crank was no big deal to install. I had to improvise a puller/pusher to pull & install the crank. SSW ported the head.
 There is no downside to the build, three ring 83mm Thumper Racing piston, 3mm stroker crank balanced to the piston. It's just as smooth as it always was & the new found power made a very fun bike an absolute hoot. 2nd gear throttle wheelies happen quick, the midrange is as strong as the engine was at peak before.
Back to top Go down
oneblackflag

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank EmptySun May 24, 2015 9:51 am

*Bump

4play wrote:
Wound up having Thumper Racing re plate the used Athena cylinder from the spare engine I bought. The crank was no big deal to install. I had to improvise a puller/pusher to pull & install the crank. SSW ported the head.
 There is no downside to the build, three ring 83mm Thumper Racing piston, 3mm stroker crank balanced to the piston. It's just as smooth as it always was & the new found power made a very fun bike an absolute hoot. 2nd gear throttle wheelies happen quick, the midrange is as strong as the engine was at peak before.

Hey, still going strong?

Looking into this build myself. How high does the compression ratio work out at with the stroker and is the porting needed?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stroker crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stroker crank   Stroker crank Empty

Back to top Go down

Stroker crank
Page 1 of 1