Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stroker kit reliability

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yamahopper01

Stroker kit reliability Empty
PostSubject: Stroker kit reliability   Stroker kit reliability EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Hey guys! First post here.
I’m 17 and just recently got my WR, love this bike so much, but at 6’4 250, the low end is a tad underwhelming, I’m currently saving to get a powerbomb header + turbinecore combo, hopefully that should give it a little more grunt down low, but I’ve been thinking of a stroker kit? I don’t want to bore it out, as I plan on doing the TAT with my friend after high school, and from what I gather the big bore and reliability tend to go two different ways, has anyone here done the stroker kit with no big bore? I couldn’t find anything on that, so anything is helpful
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Stroker kit reliability   Stroker kit reliability EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm

look on youtube wr250r 310, but unless you have high mileage or can you do it yourself, just do normal mods, and run it hard you will not hurt it. I have a athena 290 and the bike it setup perfect for me handling, suspension and power but it now has 15000mi, I did upgrade to a yz250fx but dont like it and plan on selling it and getting something else maybe just an other low mileage wr250x, I ride it with my Harley buddies on the street (50 mi. twistys to the shore and 50mi. back) and just change wheels and ride with my offroad 2 stroke race buddys with 50mi of rough tight single track, the harleys guys cant stay with me in the twistys and the 2 stokes have a hard with me in tight single track.
Back to top Go down
yamahopper01

PostSubject: Re: Stroker kit reliability   Stroker kit reliability EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 9:56 am

Alright thanks man, I got this thing for an absolute steal so I’m fine putting money into it, but I’ll ride it till it gets worn out first, it’s a 2016 with 4K miles on it, payed less than 1500$ for it, the original owner died and his cousin didn’t want a dual sport (Harley guy) so I took it off his hands, as an act of charity of course ;)
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Stroker kit reliability   Stroker kit reliability EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am

Wow what a deal. Of you dont like it i will take it off your hands
Back to top Go down
ZedZX20

ZedZX20

PostSubject: Re: Stroker kit reliability   Stroker kit reliability EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 1:35 pm

I can give you real world feedback on the stroker kit. I built a no expense spared 310cc engine, cost me a little over $4K and I can tell you this. It's noticeably quicker, dyno numbers were not that impressive, but I'm making 32rwhp and 7ft/lb more than stock with a Shinko Cheater tire on the back with a 48t sprocket. With a near stock tire the tuner is convinced 38-39 hp is possible. This may not sound like it was worth it, but the tire is MUCH larger than OEM and a few pounds heavier. I've had zero issues with the engine and glad I have it, but for the money I would do all the external mods and leave the internals alone. It's very expensive when you add up the time, money in parts, money for balancing, and other foreseen expenses. In the end you have a bike that will still under perform compared to a factory built performance bike. On the other hand, I believe the engine will have close to stock maintenance intervals. As far as reliability, I think this is a subjective area. Riding conditions, environment, and maintenance all play into this durability of the kit. The bigger the engine gets, the more the stress the parts will have to endure. There is a reason big engines don't rev super fast. The stress vs. material strength starts to become a concern. You can build a reliable engine, just keep in mind that gearing will have a big input on part life.

HotRods 3mm stroker crank/rod assy approx. $ 335.00

Balancing done by Thumper Racing: $350.00 ish depending on balancing needs

Replacement gaskets if needed: $60.00 more/less depending on conditions of seals/gaskets

Time: If all goes well, you can get the assembly done in a weekend. The disassembly will be longer due to sending out the piston with the crank. (I sincerely suggest you don't skip the balancing, this is where the reliability comes into play). You are realistically looking at 3wks to a month for complete turnaround on this project. For the time invested, you might as well buy the Athena 290 kit and send it with the crank so you can have all the parts ready to go and be able to ride the bike up to the point of tear down. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stroker kit reliability   Stroker kit reliability Empty

Back to top Go down

Stroker kit reliability
Page 1 of 1