Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Easier throttle pull

Go down 
+2
Jens Eskildsen
paulie1960
6 posters
AuthorMessage
paulie1960

Easier throttle pull Empty
PostSubject: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 am

I must of lubed my thottle cables with wrong lube now it very hard pull. What everybody doing to have a easy pull like the race bikes?
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 11:20 am

Does anybody think the wrr has tp hard of throttle pull or is it just me?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 3:27 pm

I'd check cable routing and make sure you don't have either throttle or return cable pinched somewhere. I've never seen one that was a hard pull.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 am

Mine isnt hard at all. Clean the cable with wd40 ect, and lube with engine oil or other light oil afterwards. (wd40 will do on its own, but I just KNOW that will start an argument cheers )
Make sure the throttlegrip itself is clean aswell, and that the cable is routed properly, with no kinks and sharp bends.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 am

I cleaned and lubed with silicone spray, still not like the ktm guys I ride with, I checked the web and ther is a softer spring for the Japan rhrottle body race bike. Just checking if anybody did any mods to the wrr
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 9:45 am

I ride with guys that ride ktm and hard core harescramble racers and everybody is getting ready for the spring race season and the races are 1.5 hours and my right hand starts turning numb
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 11:09 am

paulie1960 wrote:
I ride with guys that ride ktm and hard core harescramble racers and everybody is getting ready for the spring race season and the races are 1.5 hours and my right hand starts turning numb

Well if your clutch hand isn't bothering you and your throttle hand is then I suspect something may be amiss with your throttle cables or throttle tube.

I have owned KTM's, GasGas, and Betas and really don't notice much difference in the throttle pull - now the clutch pull is a whole other story.

If your right hand is turning numb then that might be an ergo issue with the bars and sweep as well. Have you had the chance to try another WRR? I noticed my local dealer just got a 2017 in so if you have a dealer nearby it may pay to go in and give it a shot. If it feels lighter than yours then there is something amiss.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 11:32 am

I know I may have a little arthritis and carpal tunnel going on in my right hand, but my throttle is noticeable harder then them ktm, I never had a problem with my left hand, my clutch is super easy but have a motion pro cable and and modified handle
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 11:34 am

Im going to check into a new motion pro cable and a lighter pull spring
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 12:42 pm

the throttle on mine is kinda tough too.. just feels sluggish compared to my other bikes. i am going to inspect the cables when i can. i have already lubed the cables, housing, and throttle tube
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm

I think it the nature of the throttle body myself.I am going to Try and look at the spring and throttle body this weekend
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Have you changed the handlebars? The throttle housing has a peg that mates with a hole in the OEM handlebars; if you are using aftermarket handlebars you need to grind down that peg otherwise the throttle will not work properly.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:20 pm

I did drill a hole for that peg
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:51 pm

That peg has nothing to do with throttle cable adjustment anyway. It's just a stop to help position the throttle control housing on the bars and prevent it from moving around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 5:44 pm

If you don't drill a hole for the peg or remove the peg, it will press on the throttle housing enough to make it drag. Did that when I mounted up the new bars and had an a-hah moment. Even when I knew the stupid pin was there. Least I figured it out quick.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks, I didn't know that. (Sorry for doubting you johnkol.) I guess I couldn't, and still can't, imagine anyone mounting their throttle housing in a binding position. When I replaced my stock bars with fat bars I remember it being pretty obvious that I was going to have to either grind the pin off or drill a hole in the bars for it.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 pm

wwguy wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know that.  (Sorry for doubting you johnkol.)  I guess I couldn't, and still can't, imagine anyone mounting their throttle housing in a binding position.

Actually, what you wrote is true: the peg is there to prevent the throttle housing from spinning on the handlebar.

But what Traveller said is also true: if there is no corresponding hole, or if the peg is not ground, the throttle housing will restrict the movement of the throttle.

When I got my bike, I had that exact problem: the throttle had too much resistance, and sometimes it would bind. It took me some time to figure out that after the PO had changed the handlebars, he neither drilled a hole for the peg, nor did he grind the peg.

None of these help the OP though since he has already drilled a hole. Once I ground the peg, the throttle was very easy to twist, and I can do ten-hour days without any discomfort. I therefore suspect that there must be a kink or some other obstruction in the OP's throttle cable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull EmptyWed Feb 01, 2017 2:29 pm

I got my bike used and the throttle was stiff.  The PO must have sunk the bike in a mud hole - the throttle housing was packed with dirt.

It works fine now, but I still use a cramp buster for roads.  Sort of a poor man's cruise control.

Easier throttle pull Scott_crampbuster2
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: cable routing   Easier throttle pull EmptySat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 am

fixed mine the other day, the return cable on mine had worked its way out from under the little metal guides on the the side of the frame and was putting tension on it. all i had to do was turn the bars and maneuver the cable back where it belongs. now its as smooth as can be, keep in mind if you have handgaurds they might also be putting pressure on the throttle tube.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easier throttle pull   Easier throttle pull Empty

Back to top Go down

Easier throttle pull
Page 1 of 1