Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!

Go down 
+3
dfoustou
wwguy
El Forko
7 posters
AuthorMessage
El Forko

WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! Empty
PostSubject: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptySat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am

Hello all,

I've recently joined the forum having bought a 2008 WRR.  I'll be modifying it for overlanding, drawing on my experiences riding 30,000 miles around S America on my XT660Z Tenere.  But fortunately, the previous owner has already done the majority of the mods I had been planning!

I've published on my blog a complete list of all the current mods done to the bike, with some observations on each.  It may be useful for anyone looking to develop their WRR into an overlander. I'd also appreciate feedback and suggestions from other riders who have also modified their bikes similarly.

As the project evolves I'll be updating the list. You can find it via the link below:

https://horcamoto.com/wr250r-modifications/

WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! <a href=WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! 20170311" />
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptySat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 am

Great write-up and great looking bike! I really liked how you categorized and separated the list of mods. It made for an easy and entertaining read.

Funny (the interesting kind) how different riders have different priorities though. Suspension upgrades, including steering stabilizer, are at the top of my mod list along with gearing and tires. Engine, intake, exhaust, and fuel-mapping mods don't even make my list. I'm not suggesting that my priorities are better in any way. Just noting how different they seem to vary from rider to rider.
Back to top Go down
El Forko

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptySat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks wwguy.

Actually I was surprised the previous owner didn't do the suspension, given how much he invested in upgrading it; it seems it is a priority mod from all I read about the WRR. It's top of my 'to do' list - and a stabiliser is second!

Getting the cockpit nicely organised is something I also want to do, perhaps using a HDB top clamp to tidy up switches for heated grips etc, and maybe a Trailtech Vapour. And I'm considering a larger rotor on the front. I'll work my way through this section of the forum and see what other riders are doing as well.

I have high hopes for this bike as an overlander......

Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

the perfect ADV!
Back to top Go down
brokeagain

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 am

Ha! my bikes twin, almost.

I'll throw a photo up when I get a minute.

As far as the dash is concerned, drill some holes and put some stuff on the shelf of the safari fairing. There's a little less room underneath of the shelf for hinges to protrude (due to the headlight), but tucking wires around it is pretty easy. My plan is to add a fuzeblock fz1 for my stuff. I currently have a 3 circuit fuse harness tucked in between the forks, but the wiring is a bit messy.

As far as the sprockets are concerned, 14/48 is a really good choice for me. Top speed with the fairing is around 85 mph (gps), though I have the stock cylinder/piston.
Back to top Go down
El Forko

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptyThu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

brokeagain wrote:
Ha! my bikes twin, almost.

I'll throw a photo up when I get a minute.

As far as the dash is concerned, drill some holes and put some stuff on the shelf of the safari fairing. There's a little less room underneath of the shelf for hinges to protrude (due to the headlight), but tucking wires around it is pretty easy. My plan is to add a fuzeblock fz1 for my stuff. I currently have a 3 circuit fuse harness tucked in between the forks, but the wiring is a bit messy.

As far as the sprockets are concerned, 14/48 is a really good choice for me. Top speed with the fairing is around 85 mph (gps), though I have the stock cylinder/piston.

Hi brokeagain,

I've been away from the forum (and by-and-large the bike) for a couple of months whilst travelling / working, bur recently got back in the seat for a week's ride up through N Mexico and Texas. What a bike - obviously great off road, but also so easy to ride the long highway days and also the twisties. It keeps impressing me more as I get to know it better.

I've got a GPS mount and X-Grip on the dash. I've been thinking of a fuse box under the shelf, but my priority is to find a set-up which will allow me to remove the fairing quickly - which means decoupling all electrics attached to it easily. I learnt from my Tenere 660 the importance of being able to strip the front end and remove the fuel tank quickly when in the middle of nowhere, so solving the electric spaghetti problem is important.

Another option I was considering is to mount the instrument panel (or maybe a Trailtech Vapour) on a HDB top mount to create some space in front of the forks, and then mounting a fusebox there (below the instrument panel).

I'm thinking to go for a 14/48. 13 on the front leaves 1st and 2nd a bit short and with the 280 kit there seems plenty of torque at the lower rev range - so I think a 14t should be fine an will improve on-road gearing.

Would love to see some photos and share some more ideas. I'm 90% sold on fitting a Camel Tank. after 260km through the Mex desert I was down to my last 100ml of gas - glad I had a transparent tank!

Back to top Go down
brokeagain

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm with you on the full disconnection/quick release approach. That said, a fuse box won't fit under the safari dash, as the headlight is in the way. I eventually aim to put all the wiring in a small pelican, or carve out a piece of plastic to connect the end of the dash to the top of the dash area, essentially making a trangular area for the wiring while allowing an elevated and angle area for switches, the GPS, etc.

Someone I know built a bery simple bracket and placed a fuzebox between the forks, on top of the front fender. Fits behind the stock headlight shroud very well. I may consider that.

I think the Camel tank is a great idea, except the price. The $ per gallon increase is a bit much, but then again, a safari tank is probably around that range, of not more. What is like to figure out is a way to combine this: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wr250r-wr250x-rotopax-fuel-tank-mount.467371/ and the camel tank idea. Slap a petcock on a Kolpin 2 gallon, armor it with aluminum, or something. Who knows.

Back to top Go down
manybikes

manybikes

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 1:43 am

Those are great mods, bike looks real good.
I have the Camel tank...they work very well and it does keep your bikes profile slim.
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for sharing your list and keeping us posted on the choices you make. I will be considering many of these mods, too, so the knowledge and research are appreciated. I just ordered the Camel Tank, definitely $$$ but looks so well engineered and keeps the bike slim. manybikes has great pics on his post.
Back to top Go down
USMC.Miller

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! EmptyFri Jul 07, 2017 2:05 pm

How's the 280 kit holding up?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!   WR250R OVERLANDING  MODs - a Long List! Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R OVERLANDING MODs - a Long List!
Page 1 of 1