Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Shifting issueson new bike

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rick jackson

Shifting issueson new bike Empty
PostSubject: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi, my first post here . I have about 1200kms on my new WRR now, and had a weird thing happen last night. I was riding along, and went to shift down and it locked in 2nd, and wouldn't go to neutral or first.
It shifted up through the gears, but went down only to 2nd. After going up and down through the gears it eventually was ok again. I intend on taking it to the dealer about this, but was curious if this was a known issue, or if it Has happened to others. Generally the trannyfeels kind of clunky when it is shifting normally.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Rick jackson wrote:
Hi, my first post here . I have about 1200kms on my new WRR now, and had a weird thing happen last night. I was riding along, and went to shift down and it locked in 2nd, and wouldn't  go to neutral or first.
It shifted up through the gears, but went down only to 2nd. After going up and down through the gears it eventually was ok again. I intend on taking it to the dealer about  this, but was curious if this was a known issue, or if it   Has happened to others. Generally the trannyfeels kind of clunky when it is shifting normally.

When was your last oil change?

One other thing, when you down shifted into second did you let the clutch back out? If not, you may want to try this when down shifting.
Back to top Go down
Rick jackson

PostSubject: Re: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Rick jackson wrote:
Hi, my first post here . I have about 1200kms on my new WRR now, and had a weird thing happen last night. I was riding along, and went to shift down and it locked in 2nd, and wouldn't  go to neutral or first.
It shifted up through the gears, but went down only to 2nd. After going up and down through the gears it eventually was ok again. I intend on taking it to the dealer about  this, but was curious if this was a known issue, or if it   Has happened to others. Generally the trannyfeels kind of clunky when it is shifting normally.

When was your last oil change?
One other thing, when you down shifted into second did you let the clutch back out?  If not, you may want to try this when down shifting.

Thanks for the reply.
First and only oil and filter change was about 5 Kms before this happened.
I tried clutching in and out, as I previously discovered the need to do that going to first while stopped. Pedal was stiff, as in not wanting to move down, but up was ok.
Weird.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 am

If the oil change was done at the dealership, they typically use Yamalube dino, which is not the best lubricant around; one of its characteristics is that the transmission feels clunky, which is what you observe.

Having said that, what you experienced goes far beyond lubrication, and it has more to do with how motorcycle transmissions work. Although I have not heard of this problem on the WRR, I have experienced similar problems on other bikes, where while downshifting rapidly, the transmission gets stuck at a gear and won't downshift anymore. Partially releasing the clutch and playing with the gear shifter usually corrects the problem, which is intermittent and rather rare.

I don't think the dealer will be able to do anything if the bike does not consistently do this, so the only thing you can do for now is simply monitor its behaviour.

And next oil change go for a better oil.
Back to top Go down
Rick jackson

PostSubject: Re: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 4:16 am

Thanks for the feedback. I did the oil and filter change myself, using Lucas semi synthetic MC oil. After it's broken in I'm thinking about using full synthetic oil. Hasn't done that problem since, maybe 250 Kms ago. Will monitor it .
Back to top Go down
Rick jackson

PostSubject: Re: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Just an update. I've got about 3500 Kim's on it now, and it never happened again.
Recently I bumped the idle speed at the throttle plate and it not only shifts to 1st better, but it's a whole new bike for slow speed riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shifting issueson new bike   Shifting issueson new bike Empty

Back to top Go down

Shifting issueson new bike
Page 1 of 1