Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Which Seat Concepts Seat?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
17thumper

seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? Empty
PostSubject: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyFri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm

I see they have several options.  I'm likely 50/50 on road and off.  My off road riding won't be super aggressive, more or less fire trails and some easier single track stuff.  So, do I go with full gripper or vinyl or a combo of the two?  For reference, the material on the stock seat seams to be about the right level of grip but I'm pretty new to anything off road so that's why I'm asking for advice.

Anyone here get the tall option?  I'm 6'1" but to me the bike is already fairly tall.  My inseam is 33".

BTW, I mostly ride in jeans or textile pants that I use for my street bikes.

Thanks!  thumb
Back to top Go down
drifter136

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I can't really help with your decision on standard vs. tall seat as I am only 5'10", but I went with the standard height and it's a good fit. I have the gripper top with the vinyl sides and I really like it. I don't think I would like the full grippy or full vinyl, but the mix is perfect to me. Hope that helps a little.
Back to top Go down
Goldentaco

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyMon Aug 28, 2017 2:23 am

I'm 6'3"  32-33" inseam and went with the X-Tall black and blue side gripper material.  I also asked them to cut in a tailbone channel.  They cut a channel in the seat top foam and replace it with a softer foam.  I ride to camp then ride trails.  The seat is great for 2-4hr+hwy stretches and it's great offroad for moving around.

With the tall I can still flat foot at a stop with proper sag set.  On occasion I feel like the seat edge should be chamfered a bit on the forward portion of the flat seating area.  Sometimes it digs in to my thighs.  I just move around and then it's ok.  Try using "ADVRIDER.COM" discount code for $15 off.

With the SC seat.
seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? 17893599573_23eaae4941_b

J
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyMon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 am

I have done the tall, regular, and low.  I am 5'-11" with a 31" inseam.

I was having some "tail bone" pain with the regular and thought the tall would help by eliminating the slope towards the tank - at the time I did not know about the "tail bone" mod on the seats.

While the tall did help with the tail bone pain it did not eliminate it.  More importantly I found that the pain was not directly related to the seat.  It appears that with my age (57) and current work (I sit at a desk a lot and drive a lot for work) that I have Piriformis syndrome.  This is some what mitigated by tearing both hamstrings over the last 20 years and not going through proper physical therapy.  Good news is that this condition responds well to stretching, yoga, walking, jogging. and bicycle riding.  Bad news is it is a real pain in the backside when you sit for long periods of time but that is easily remedied with getting up and taking a short walk (easy unless you are on a plane).

Right now I am using the SC Low seat (the whole seat pan and padding that they sell) and so far I am liking it since it does allow me the occasional foot dab when on the trail.

I need to see what I have left here since I may still have the standard SC foam and cover available.

Last edited by rsteiger on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
17thumper

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks the help! I’ve been slammed at work so just now getting back to this. I know I want the grippy top but I’m still undecided on the sides if I want those grippy. I have no issues with the texture of the oem seat.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptySat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

I just put this on the other night. I have other seats from Seat Concepts and they have all worked well for me.

I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam.

seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? Seat_c10
seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? Seat_c11
Back to top Go down
17thumper

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 am

Very nice Jerry. How is the gripper material in jeans with street riding ? I like the grip of the stock seat.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 am

17thumper wrote:
Very nice Jerry.  How is the gripper material in jeans with street riding ?  I like the grip of the stock seat.

If you are doing any off road or even aggressive road I would opt for the gripper seat. I had a SC Seat on my KTM 450 EXC and I did not care for how much and easily I slid around on that seat.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 pm

17thumper wrote:
Very nice Jerry.  How is the gripper material in jeans with street riding ?  I like the grip of the stock seat.

I think the grip is pretty nice so far, it's slightly grippier than the stock seat.

Side note, I had to use an upholstery stapler to install this one. There is a channel on the seat pan that gives clearance for the side panels and regular staplers can't get the staple down in there.

Jerry
Back to top Go down
17thumper

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 1:43 am

Cool, thanks Jerry and rsteiger. Any reason to not get grippy on the sides too? I sort of like the blue on the side with all grippy but I’m new to dual sport riding so not sure if it will grab at my legs a bunch or something. After all most of my riding with this bike will be on road, about 70%.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 am

17thumper wrote:
Cool, thanks Jerry and rsteiger.  Any reason to not get grippy on the sides too?  I sort of like the blue on the side with all grippy but I’m new to dual sport riding so not sure if it will grab at my legs a bunch or something.  After all most of my riding with this bike will be on road, about 70%.

Well I did the grippy on the sides with my old Beta and standard on the top and that was a mistake.

So far the grippy on the top is fine with me. Right now I am running their complete low seat (pan and all) on my WRR with gripper top and blue sides (I think) and it works well.

However, a word of warning... if your skill level is higher than mine (which is not hard to do) you may want to opt for the gripper sides since when things get knarly and you are up out of the seat I could see where it may potentially make it easier to control the bike by squeezing the sides of the seat or tank with your legs. For 99% of the riding I do this is not an issue.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 pm

I've never had one but I hear that the ultimate seat material is Suede.

I really considered the suede option this time.

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Jerry S wrote:

Meh.

I have a Renazco Suede seat for my WRR and while it does a decent job it can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to mud and water crossings. I have to treat it regularly to keep it in decent shape and that seemed to be most of the maintenance during my longer rides. So much so once I got the gripper seat from SC I stopped using it.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Jerry S wrote:

Meh.

I have a Renazco Suede seat for my WRR and while it does a decent job it can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to mud and water crossings.  I have to treat it regularly to keep it in decent shape and that seemed to be most of the maintenance during my longer rides.  So much so once I got the gripper seat from SC I stopped using it.

DANG! You have one, I don't know why but I've always wanted a Renazco.

I live in the desert so that might have something to do with it. However, I've noticed nearly all the Dakar racer guys run Renazco Seats.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Well $150 plus shipping and you can have one.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Post up a picture.

I've seen rain covers for Suede seats, do people carry them while they're out riding?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm

I will dig it up and get you a more recent pic.  

I usually carried a bike cover or tarp with me on my trips that I would use when I stopped for the day.  I usually used some suede spray products for water repellency.

seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? 25659848_10212876235935183_6115569084601713985_n

seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? 25552146_10212876235975184_8382574598306746846_n

Guess I should look at what I have around here and post up in the Classified Section too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Seat Concepts Seat?   seat - Which Seat Concepts Seat? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Seat Concepts Seat?
Page 1 of 1