Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
darngood1

darngood1

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! Empty
PostSubject: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Howdy from Idaho.  Just letting anyone interested know that I now have about 500 miles on a 120/80 Motoz Extreme Hybrid rear on a 90/90 Mitas E09 Dakar front.
My conclusion so far is that they are both fantastic.  For a nearly knobby tire, the Motoz does quite well on the street (its DOT) especially cornering.  I commute 30 minutes each way on pavement almost daily, then ride in the desert or mountains on the weekends.  The lugs on the Motoz are not wearing down hardly at all, and when I get in the loose stuff off-road I have more confidence than I've ever had.  This tire is like a 90/10 or 80/20 offroad/on road, but it's handling that role extremely well.  I run this with a tube, at about 22PSI until I get off road, then drop it down to about 15PSI.  The Mitas E09 front is a darn heavy duty tire with a higher load and pressure rating meant for bigger dual sport bikes.  It still looks new after 500 miles of mostly pavement.  I'm happy with it on and off road for the way I ride- it's not a motocross tire, but as a trail tire d/s tire it's great so far.  

Even though these tires are still 95% perfect, I'm getting a set of Shinko's to try out soon (I work with the distributor).  I will try out the Shinko's and compare them.  The Motoz/Mitas setup is my aggressive 80/20 DOT setup.  The Shinko's will also be an aggressive 90/10, 80/20 setup.  I'll report back when I have about 500 miles on them.

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! JOM6Cij

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! W0wBfXD

Last edited by darngood1 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Awesome, can't get enough tire info! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Can you post a picture of the tire on the bike?

I'm curious about the size, 120/80.

I was wanting the 120/100.
Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Jerry S wrote:
Can you post a picture of the tire on the bike?

I'm curious about the size, 120/80.

I was wanting the 120/100.

My apologies, Jerry- The tires came off after only 500 hundred miles- not long after I posted this thread.  NOT because I didn't like them, but because another manufacturer allowed me to test out his brand, and I received a free set + install on those.  I wasn't passing that up!  :)  I have the Motoz/Mitas setup to put back on after I wear down the set I'm on now.

Here's my thoughts for you though:  The Motoz is a wide-treaded tire and taller than stock.  The 120/80 was PLENTY wide/tall and heavy for a 250 thumper to turn.  For sure a wider print than the stock Trail Wings.  Also note that it has stiff sides, but a very soft top, if you run lower pressure off road it flattens/conforms/absorbs very well.  It ran soft and sure off road, and just a tiny bit "squishy" at times on pavement.  I believe this is because of the depth and spread of the lugs- like they would bend.  Since I do a fair amount of commuting, I might opt for the Mountain Hybrid over the Extreme Hybrid next time for a slightly closer tread pattern.  For 90% off road, the Extreme is a fantastic tire, and the 120/80 was the right size IMO.

When I've run down the test tires I have on now, I will put this set right back on and finish them out.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

No worries, I know how it goes. I swap stuff around enough I have to write it down!

Awesome stuff, looking forward to hearing about how they work for you.

Jerry
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 1:51 pm

I just mounted a 110/100 and it's pretty cool. I'll probably go do some riding this morning. The two sizes I saw offered were 120/100 and 110/100.

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! 20180112
Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! 20180114
Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! 20180113
Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Jerry S wrote:
I just mounted a 110/100 and it's pretty cool. I'll probably go do some riding this morning. The two sizes I saw offered were 120/100 and 110/100.

Looks pretty darn good, Jerry.  That 110 looks lighter than my 120, but still plenty of meat there for our bikes.  I think 110 is the right choice.  Advice:  take an inflator with you and play with the air.  It has a soft top section of carcass so it's pliable like trials tire but with nobby tread.  You will really feel it at lower pressure, but it doesn't feel too great on the pavement at low pressure.  I pump mine up above 20lb on the road.    Great tire- enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Good looking out, I have some longer rides later this month so I have time this week to figure out the tire pressure.

The carcass of the tire feels stiffer than the Maxxis I just pulled off, so I'm curious what this tire likes. With the Maxxis the tire really hooked up at @ 10psi.

I'm hoping the slight increase in stiffness will reduce the wallowing feel. With the Maxxis there are times that you'd swear that you have a rear flat so you stop and look and it's fine.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Got first chance to really get and ride, it's been raining for two days so the desert is at its best. So short hill climbs with the new Motoz Extreme Hybrid at 10 psi.

Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 pm

@darngood1

I've been playing with the tire pressure and in the dirt it's all about sub 10psi. I'm thinking about going Tubliss. It's a whole different tire at 8psi.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 am

Rode the Death Valley Rally this weekend. Lot's of rock and sand, 98% dirt.

Tire at @ 600 miles.

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! 20180218
Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Jerry S wrote:
Rode the Death Valley Rally this weekend. Lot's of rock and sand, 98% dirt.

Tire at @ 600 miles.

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! 20180218

Hi, Jerry:  I have a working theory on why you chunked off more tread faster than me.  I'm fat, and I don't generate as much tire spin or roost as you on a 250 thumper!!!  Not to get too "technical" on you, but you should try eating more pizza and drinking more beer to extend tire life.  Forget about winning races though...   hahaha  https://2img.net/u/2514/21/58/60/smiles/723941.gif
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm

HAAA!

I normally ride pretty slow, but each day was so long I was trying to finish before it got dark. The rear wheel was definitely spinning!

The tire did pretty well, the terrain was really rocky, I'm pretty impressed with this tire. Any updates?
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Motoz tire in action.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!   Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front! Empty

Back to top Go down

Testing out Motoz Extreme Hybrid w/ Mitas E-09 Dakar Front!
Page 1 of 1