Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Mitas E07 front wheel size?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DaBozUK

Mitas E07 front wheel size? Empty
PostSubject: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 6:24 am

Hi, new member here from UK

I have some super nobbly tires on my recently purchased WR250R 2009.

I want some 50/50 road/off road tires, and the Mitas E07 seem to fit the bill.

However, I'm confused about tire sizes and what Mitas offer.

Yamaha specs:
Front Tyre 80/100-21 51P
Rear Tyre 120/80-18 26P

But Mitas only offer these with the E-07:
Front Tyre 90/90-21
Rear Tyre 120/80-18

What Mitas tyres are people putting on front wheel of their WR250Rs?

James
Back to top Go down
DaBozUK

PostSubject: E09 front, E07 rear   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 am

After discussing with a friend, sounds like a 90/90-21 would fit.

Has anyone run 90/90-21 on WR250R?

I'm also leaning toward E-09 on the front, and E-07 on the back to give a little more control and mud dispelling on the front when off road.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I run a 90/100-21 and it's fine. The size difference between the 80/100 vs the 90/90 is something like 2mm in width and 1mm in height, nearly the same size. To be honest, there is no telling how the manufactures measured the tire either, you can put two different tires next to one another that are supposed to be the same size and they won't be.

On a side note, I've been super disappointed with 50/50 tires. In my experience, a 50/50 performs mediocre at best on both street and dirt.

Jerry
Back to top Go down
DaBozUK

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Which 50/50 tyres are you using?

The Mitas get good reviews for dual sport usage. Sure, not a full road tyre to get you knee down, and not a knobbly for churning through the harshest mud and dirt, but good compromise for both.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm

I have used Dunlop D606 in 90/90-21 size; it's a little wider than stock, but you don't really notice.

My next tyre is going to be a Pirelli MT21, again in 90/90-21 size.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm

These days I don't even look at what they consider tire use percentage, simply because manufacturers place tires in categories based on competition in the product category.

With that being said;

Knobby front Shinko MX216 90/100-21

Rear tire Motoz Hybrid Extreme 110/100-18

I liked the D606 front but I like a taller tire profile to protect the rim when you lower tire pressure. Any of the rear trials tire seem to wear well and do exceptionally well under all conditions.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 am

Jerry S wrote:
Any of the rear trials tire seem to wear well and do exceptionally well under all conditions.

I did not like the MT43 on asphalt; I could not find a pressure point where the tyre was not squirrely at the edge.

I like the Shinko 244 a lot better (a good 50/50 tyre), but I don't know if that is available in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm

I know what you're talking about, it's a weird feeling like the tire is rolling sideways sometimes. I haven't noticed that trait on the hybrid tires, I would guess the stiffness of the side wall is a major factor.

The main issue I have with a rear 50/50 like the Shinko 244 or the Trailwing TW302 is that they don't brake well enough going downhill in the dirt.

But that is entirely based on where I ride.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Right now my 50/50 setup is a MT43 on the rear and a MT16 on the front.

Did some single track riding last weekend at a friends place and was impressed with how the rear seem to grab onto roots and rocks. Although I had tried to avoid the heavy mud in his 'swamp' section by picking lines around it. While I know the MT16 would be fine in the mud I was not really convinced that the MT43 would do as well.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Jerry S wrote:
The main issue I have with a rear 50/50 like the Shinko 244 or the Trailwing TW302 is that they don't brake well enough going downhill in the dirt.

You didn't have to add "going downhill" -- they simply don't brake well anywhere, particularly in the loose surfaces around where you are. When I was in Mojave NP a few months ago, I had to use the rear brake a lot more, and be extra careful with the front; still, I blocked the front several times and went down a couple of times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mitas E07 front wheel size?   Mitas E07 front wheel size? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mitas E07 front wheel size?
Page 1 of 1