Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HawaiiRider

High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?  Empty
PostSubject: High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?    High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?  EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 am

Hey all, just bought my first wr250r after years of wanting one. Got a 2012 for $3k. But it has 26,000 miles!
Bike is cosmetically in great shape but I'm a paranoid worrier who likes to take really good care of my machines, so need help with what I need to work on now that she's mine.
Up until now, I've had a 2001 klr with 35k miles ,so this is a whole new ballgame for me (injection!?!?!)
I know very little history on this bike, so no idea what's been done. So obviously doing oil and filter right away!

Here's the things I notice right away:
front fork has a little "catch" on the way down (bushings?)
rear shock is pretty bouncy even with rebound adjusted all the way (I'm 5'10" 150#)
There's a low-power dead spot when first starting out any gear until higher RPM, then it gets really fun (I've heard this is common problem?)
In my paranoia I am wondering if I'm hearing knocking at low RPM/idle (don't hear it when going hard)

So what else should I do or look at?

Appreciate your answers or direction to previous discussions on this. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?    High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?  EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 3:17 pm

26.000 miles, its only due to its first valve check.  Shog

I always inspect and/or replace the following on a new to me bike, depending on the condition.
Most are pretty chap, and only requires your time and a slather of lube.
Dont know the going rates of the bike at your place, but 3k sounds like it would leavy you with some money to make it "yours" and fix small issues/upgrade stuff.

Airfilter
chain/sprockets
Brakes
Steering head bearings
Linkage bearings
wheelbearings
Fork (changing fluid, replacing seals, inspecting bushings)

Then going over and clean each electrical connector on the bike.

You can adjust how much gas the bike gets on low throttle opening, in the instrument. (Adjusting CO)
You can also set the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) doing thoose helped a ton on the rideability on my bike.
Back to top Go down
HawaiiRider

PostSubject: Re: High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?    High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?  EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Linkage bearing replace (how do you even check?) or just lube?

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?    High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?  EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 3:03 am

Hard to inspect on a bike youre buying, but take it apart when its yours.
A good clean and regrease is often enough
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?    High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?  Empty

Back to top Go down

High mileage purchase!! What to look out for?
Page 1 of 1