Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Possible purchase of used WR250x

Go down 
+2
motokid
Mr_Rotor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_Rotor

Possible purchase of used WR250x Empty
PostSubject: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new here Very happy and have been looking at the WR250x/r since last autumn when I decided to sell my Street Triple R.
My reasons for picking the WR250 are cheap insurance, very light bike, good fuel consumption, versatile (mostly town and country roads) and hopefully fun!

Tomorrow I will have a look at used bike and if everything looks good I will probably make a deal.

Year: 2008
Milage: Just 1800 miles (2900 km)
Sold by: Car dealer
Extras: FMF Powercore4, FMF Powerbomb, FMF Fuel Programmer, GYTR chain and rear sprocket, fatbar.
Price: $3700 (Note: new is $10 000 here)

Disadvantage:
- There are no original accessories coming with the bike, due to a previous owner (had it for 1 month). He has most likely sold them, and is impossible to speak to.
- I will need to find some used passenger footpegs for my girlfriend to be able to ride along for work occasionally (I know it's not an ideal bike for it)

Any advice on that I should check on the bike?
- Are there just 2 keys or an additional "red key" too?
- Frame, shocks, any problems?
- The motor seems to be a solid piece from what I've read?

Regards
Mr_Rotor
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 3:35 pm

I bought mine used. Only got one key. dunno

Frame and motor are solid.

Chances are good if you want the stock stuff bad enough you can find somebody selling it on internet.

Some 2008 models had shitty-bad fuel pumps. Not all, but enough that it's something you should be aware of.

You're looking at buying an "old" bike with very little mileage on it.

Look for the usual things. Dead battery. How old is the gas in it? Dry rotting anywhere? Tires?

Will you be able to test drive it?

As for gas mileage - think 50-60 mpg. Don't think 70 or more.

The powercore might be loud as shit. That can always be changed.

Stock sprockets should be 13/42 - if the previous owner changed the teeth the Yamaha speedometer might be way off unless they also bought a speedo corrector.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Bought mine new, did come with a spare key.

I would change the oil since you don't know if the PO did after break in. Although with the money he spent on accessories one would think so. Safe insurance none the less.

Also, like motokid said, 70mpg requires you to drive like a granpa. Most can't manage it. 60 is very doable even with spirited riding so long as you stay under 70mph.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Rotor

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am

Thank you for your replies

I have spoken to the first owner, the guy who bought and installed all the "goodies", and he seems take care of his stuff. But I will change the oil and filter anyway just to give it a fresh start (if I buy it).

Yes, the rear sprocket does not have stock teeth I was told and there is no speedohealer installed, that I know of. Guess I would have to buy one and/or measure the actual speed difference.

No grandpa-driving, 50-60 mpg would be fine Very happy

I will take it for a test drive before I decide to make a deal. I actually have no idea of how the bike will feel. But I guess going from a street bike with nearly 115 hk to about 33 hk will be different. But then it's a totally different type of bike. In Sweden everything is about CC and high power. If you consider a smaller bike most motorcyclists just shakes their heads. I couldn't care less but it's an interesting phenomen.

More advice?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Its the same in the US, although the WR gets a bit of a pass since its basically a dirt bike and 250cc is about normal for a dirt bike. I explain its not an underpowered street bike, its a dirt bike that happens to be able to ride on the street. Taking off the stickers that say 250 helps too. Then they just see a dirt bike without that little light prejudice light going off in their head when they see the number.

Also, when you test drive it, don't take it on the highway or straight roads. Bikes with a ton of power have fun acceleration. This bike is about darting your way through low speed corners that would make a sport bike nervous.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Mr. Rotor,

I've had a lot of very fast bikes and currently have a KTM 950 SM. I end up jumping on my WR more often just because its such a blast to ride. Are you looking at an R or an X? What part of Sverige are you in?
Back to top Go down
Mr_Rotor

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:59 am

Became an owner of a WR250X last night. deal

The bike was in good condition, no scratches, nothing rattling, 2 keys, service book and manual.

The bike was actually sold as new in 2011-July, so I guess I have 5 years of warranty until 2016-july.
Might be time to book a service at Yamaha Center to maintain the warranty.
I guess you have to service the bike at Yamaha either on kilometers (1000 km) OR each year (for the warranty to be valid)?

This will be my summer/autumn project. Something to scatter my mind from work and "musts".

oic0 wrote:
Also, when you test drive it, don't take it on the highway or straight roads...
Oops! I had to drive it 150 km (93 miles) on the freeway in 120 km/h (75 mph) to get it home. Not the funniest part but it was okay for being on a small shaking motard. wink

Just Bob wrote:
Mr. Rotor,
I've had a lot of very fast bikes and currently have a KTM 950 SM. I end up jumping on my WR more often just because its such a blast to ride. Are you looking at an R or an X? What part of Sverige are you in?
It's an X and I live in the middle of Sverige, not too far from Stockholm.

Possible purchase of used WR250x Wr250x2008
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:14 am

Beauty!
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 am

Congratulations ! That is one beautiful WR ! thumb
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 am

Looks great! Good buy. I think you're going to like it. A lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible purchase of used WR250x   Possible purchase of used WR250x Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible purchase of used WR250x
Page 1 of 1