Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Spark Plug Maintenance

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
10Cup

10Cup

Spark Plug Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Spark Plug Maintenance   Spark Plug Maintenance EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm

Changed the anti-freeze in the R² today and while I had the tank off pulled the plug to check it. Was surprised to find quite a bit of rust around the base of the plug even though it is less than three months old and the "coil" on this engine seals up the recess in the head. So Condensation was at work and corrosion was the result as you can see below. I use anti-seize on my plug threads. Love the stuff for this kind of application.

The threads are fine and well lubricated. The plug came out like it was brand new. At any rate pulling the plugs regularly and keeping the corrosion (if any) cleaned off and threads freshly lubed will keep everything happy with the plug. I now coat the plug base and the threaded tip with electrical grease too. I suspect it would also work just fine on the plug threads.

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up to keep an eye on what is going on with the plug. Use as you will.

Spark Plug Maintenance SparkPlug
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Maintenance   Spark Plug Maintenance EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm

The top of that spark plug pocket is sealed by the coil, BUT.....the water is getting in through the drain hole on the right side of the head. There is a small hole to drain the spark plug pocket on the right side of the head between the two head bolts. You probably got some water in there from washing the bike, or riding in the rain or whatever and it stayed in there and rusted the plug.

And now that I have looked at it closer, I think it might not be a bad idea to tap that hole and plug it with a screw and gasket to keep the water out. You could always remove it to drain any water or blow out dirt. Yamaha puts that drain hole there so you can blow out the spark plug pocket BEFORE you remove the spark plug. This keeps any dirt or whatever from falling into the cylinder when you take the spark plug out.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Maintenance   Spark Plug Maintenance EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 pm

mwakey wrote:
The top of that spark plug pocket is sealed by the coil, BUT.....the water is getting in through the drain hole on the right side of the head. There is a small hole to drain the spark plug pocket on the right side of the head between the two head bolts. You probably got some water in there from washing the bike, or riding in the rain or whatever and it stayed in there and rusted the plug.

And now that I have looked at it closer, I think it might not be a bad idea to tap that hole and plug it with a screw and gasket to keep the water out. You could always remove it to drain any water or blow out dirt. Yamaha puts that drain hole there so you can blow out the spark plug pocket BEFORE you remove the spark plug. This keeps any dirt or whatever from falling into the cylinder when you take the spark plug out.

I've heard of cases where the moisture built up under coil / boot couldn't escape when the motor got hot and the built up pressure forced the coil / boot to come off the plug. Might be another reason for the drain hole.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Good to know!   Spark Plug Maintenance EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:30 pm

mwakey wrote:

Thanks, didn't see the drain hole, I'll look at that you could be right. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Maintenance   Spark Plug Maintenance Empty

Back to top Go down

Spark Plug Maintenance
Page 1 of 1