Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to get to spark plug

Go down 
+4
bigg
IAmABug
motokid
sensor419
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sensor419

How to get to spark plug Empty
PostSubject: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Hello, I purchased a nice used WR250R this past spring and am thinking about winterizing it before storing it until next Spring (I live in Wisconsin). One of the things I want to do is put some oil down through the spark plug hole to lube the cylinder. Can someone please give me a step by step procedure on how to get to the spark plug on this bike? What needs to come off and any tips on the removals? Which side of the bike do you access the spark plug from for instance. I understand that there is also a cap over the spark plug. Any special instructions on removing the cap? Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 1:26 pm

You have to unbolt and move gas tank out of way to get to spark plug.

The plug is deep DEEEEEP into the head with large cap and coil over it that may take plenty of
muscle to POP off the first time you try it.

It's a royal PITA.

But if I can do it, surely you can too. Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sensor419

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Which side of the bike do you dig into or do you have to remove plastic from both sides? Any tips on removing the cap over the sparkplug? Does it pop off? screw off?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Remove seat and all plastics. Gas tank off to. Be careful of the fuel lines etc attached to fuel tank. I use a bungy cord and strap the tank off the tranny side off the motor hanging crom the bars. The coil pulls off, but does take some muscle and twisting to get it out.
Back to top Go down
sensor419

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Is there a wire or anything else attached under the cap that I need to be careful of when removing?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Under the coil? No, just like in a car when poppin off the spark plug cap.
Back to top Go down
sensor419

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Now have to get the R ready for winter.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:31 am

if you have compressed air nearby you can use that to help you. Blow it in from the side of the cylinder (there's a small hole on one side). At the same time pull the cover. the compressed air helps out a bunch thumb
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 am

OK, This may help.

After you remove the seat, the left and right side covers, the left and right plastic "wings" and remove the fuel tank, (or set it aside) you look down on the top of the engine from above and see the top of the coil and its connector fully inserted into the upper engine.

How to get to spark plug Img_2413

Here is a close up of the top of the coil assembly.

How to get to spark plug Img_2414

Twist and pull straight up on the top of the coil assembly and remove it. Mine wasn't that hard to remove, but my bike had 7k on it in only about 3 months after it was purchased. At 7k it is spark plug replacement time. If you ride a lot less, then your coil boot may have had more time to stick itself to the metal, but you shouldn't need any tools to pull this thing out.

When you pull it out it looks like this:

How to get to spark plug Img_2415

Meanwhile, back down in the hole, you should be looking down on the top of your spark plug. DO NOT REMOVE IT YET!

How to get to spark plug Img_2416

Look for the little hole on the right side of the engine and shoot some compressed air, or in this case that computer "dust off" spray air into the hole. The crud that has settled inside of the plug recess will shoot out the top from where you removed the coil. Once you are satisfied that you have cleaned out the recess, then remove the spark plug, (5/8" SPW). Since this is a critical part that is very hard to get access to, I would replace the spark plug with a new one any time you remove it. Broken or stripped threads would be a new nightmare. Tighten carefully about 1/2 turn after the metal crush gasket touches the head. Shop manual puts the torque at 9.4 ft/lb. When I removed my old plug it came out very easily, these are not cranked down in the head very hard at the factory.

How to get to spark plug Img_2417

Prior to replacing the spark plug, coat the spark plug threads with anti-sieze compound. Coat the spark plug porcelain and the sealing portion of the coil boot (the part that gets stuck to the engine metal) with dielectric grease. This will help with EZ removal next time.

How to get to spark plug Photo_10 How to get to spark plug Photo_11
Back to top Go down
oldmansurfing

PostSubject: Awesome Write Up for Plug Removal   How to get to spark plug EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Otter thanks for the clear and concise write up. You might want to consider writing manuals as this is probably one of the better descriptions I have seen.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
wankle

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

very nice explanation
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks Guys.

OTTER
Back to top Go down
Slideways

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 1:03 pm

From a guy about to change the plug for the first time thanks Otter!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get to spark plug   How to get to spark plug Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get to spark plug
Page 1 of 1