Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine noise - is this normal?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lockheed

Engine noise - is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 5:07 am

Hello

I bought a 2014 wr250r couple of days ago with ~3000 km on the clock. The seller was using it only for local off-roading (his first bike) but eventually got a dedicated dirt bike and this one was standing unused since about year.

Its engine is making this noise:

youtu. be/m0CNBvcYooY

(I can't post links yet so please remove from the address)

I noticed it the first time I heard the bike during pre-purchase inspection but the owner said it was there from new and year ago it was at a Yamaha dealers for regular maintenance and they saw no problem with it.

So I took it. Still, I wanted to make sure it is normal noise WR250R's engine should make.

The noise I am concerned about is this constant monotonous whizz in the background. It brings to mind some rotational element grinding on another piece of metal. Is this nothing to be concerned about?
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Sounds normal to me.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 4:57 pm

wrr are a little noisy but there very reliable and them aluminum bash plates dont help matters. people do glue rubber under frame rails and foam under engine between bush plate. is it a stock bike?or big bore motor? how many miles?
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 5:25 pm

I was riding with a bunch of friends, and was the last rider didnt what to stop, a light came on, rode about a mile and stopped realizing it was temp. light, no steam, didnt seem hot, no strange noises, so started riding again about another mile, no steam, no noises but I now I touched the engine side case, it was so hot, i shut her down opened radiator cap no steam and no water, put water in it rode back home, could not find a leak but every ride it used water, i thought my first brand new bike and motor was shot, finally found the leak, it only was a pin hole in a hose next to water pump, must of hit a branch and only leaked at high rpms, never hurt motor and now have 17000mi on her.
Back to top Go down
lockheed

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 7:07 pm

paulie1960 wrote:
wrr are a little noisy but there very reliable and them aluminum bash plates dont help matters. people do glue rubber under frame rails and foam under engine between bush plate. is it a stock bike?or big bore motor? how many miles?
As mentioned, the bike is around 3000 kilometers, and the engine is stock.

Can I just put any foam between the engine and bash plate, or does it need to be heat-resistant?
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 7:18 pm

first take it off and try it see if its quieter, put water pipe insulation its for hot water, need rubber between frame rails

Back to top Go down
lockheed

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyFri May 03, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks for the input and advice!
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? EmptyFri May 03, 2019 12:07 pm

There are many options for bash plate insulation, do some searching, various ones have varying impact (go figure) and the bash plate you have can have an impact, too, as some reflect more sound that others it seems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise - is this normal?   Engine noise - is this normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine noise - is this normal?
Page 1 of 1