Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
waterfowl

Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced Empty
PostSubject: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Firstly, thanks in advance for any advice/help given.
I have an 08 WRR with around 6900 miles on it. The previous owner did an entire fuel pump assembly swap. He also did the airbox mod and removed the AIS. The bike ran fine for a while, but started dying in high heat. Naturally I looked into the fuel pump issue. This weekend I got around to replacing the thing with a Kemso brand fuel pump from eBay. It wasn't easy and I may have made those notches/clips a little smaller, but I got it off and got the Kemso on eventually. Last night I put it all back together and turned it on- it ran! I ran it for 5 minutes and went to bed.
Today I jump out of bed ready to do an oil change and ride only to find out that the thing doesn't start. Well, it ran for about 5 seconds, then died. And no I have spent all day trying to find the solution.
  • Put in a whole tank of gas
  • Went to AutoZone, got the battery charged. Replaced it.
  • Took the thing apart, inspected the fuel pump and compared it to the old one the owner gave me. Looks fine.
  • Tried to take a look at the tip-over sensor (diagnostic mode was giving me error code 30, but that has been happening for a while)
  • Currently trying to epoxy a small crack on the gas cap (this was there before and I had already applied epoxy to it, but I figure I will try again)
  • Checked every relay. They're all fine.
  • Checked for kinks in the fuel line.
  • Tried to start it with no gas cap.
  • Went through 4 stages of grief. Still refuse to accept it.

I can't post links since I'm new but it appears that nothing is off with the bike. I have no clue what went wrong with this.Thanks again for any help.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 pm

Replied to your other post in the sticky session, but here goes again:

When did the previous owner replace the fuel pump assembly?

Stock or aftermarket tank?

When it idles for a few seconds, is the idle normal, or does it sound rough?
Back to top Go down
waterfowl

PostSubject: Re: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced EmptyMon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 pm

johnkol wrote:
Replied to your other post in the sticky session, but here goes again:

When did the previous owner replace the fuel pump assembly?

Stock or aftermarket tank?

When it idles for a few seconds, is the idle normal, or does it sound rough?

Sorry, figured a separate thread might be better.

>When did the previous owner replace the fuel pump assembly?
That I'm not sure of. It was the owner before them that did it from what I recall. Likely somewhere between 2014-2015?

>Stock or aftermarket tank?
Stock

>When it idles for a few seconds, is the idle normal, or does it sound rough?
It doesn't idle unfortunately. Hitting the ignition button I can hear the fuel pump. streamable(dot)com/3b11zi is a video of the behavior.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 6:44 pm

First of all, do you have the service manual so you can start troubleshooting?

Since the bike is not starting, you will need to establish the availability of four things: air, fuel, compression, and spark.

1. Air is most likely not a problem.

2. Fuel could be the culprit here. Maybe the pressure regulator quit and you have no pressure in the fuel line. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check that? An inexpensive way of checking the regulator is to remove the fuel line and see if fuel starts streaming out of the outlet; if it does this means that the regulator has completely failed. However, if it does not, this does not mean the regulator is good; the ultimate test is to check with a fuel pressure gauge.

3. For compression you will need a compressor test kit; is there a Harbor Freight near you?

4. In order to check spark you will need a spark plug tester, or remove the spark plug and ground it to the cylinder.
Back to top Go down
waterfowl

PostSubject: Re: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced EmptyTue Apr 13, 2021 9:40 pm

johnkol wrote:
First of all, do you have the service manual so you can start troubleshooting?

Since the bike is not starting, you will need to establish the availability of four things: air, fuel, compression, and spark.

1. Air is most likely not a problem.

2. Fuel could be the culprit here. Maybe the pressure regulator quit and you have no pressure in the fuel line. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check that? An inexpensive way of checking the regulator is to remove the fuel line and see if fuel starts streaming out of the outlet; if it does this means that the regulator has completely failed. However, if it does not, this does not mean the regulator is good; the ultimate test is to check with a fuel pressure gauge.

3. For compression you will need a compressor test kit; is there a Harbor Freight near you?

4. In order to check spark you will need a spark plug tester, or remove the spark plug and ground it to the cylinder.

Good advice.
I have found that the pressure regulator likely quit. When unplugging the fuel line and with a 1/2 tank of gas, fuel ended up dripping out of the outlet/nipple. Luckily I have the old fuel pump assembly from the Prev. Owner. I swapped out the pressure regulator. Did a quick leak check with some fuel and didn't see any dripping, though it may need to be plugged into the fuel line again to make sure.
Secondly, the spark plug seemed to be in bad shape. Very corroded in the middle, and testing it with a multimeter showed no resistance. I've got one coming in the mail so I will swap that. Still, I was surprised to see just how corroded it was. The cap was extremely difficult to get off so it didn't come in from the top, but I believe there's a small hole on the side that leads to that chamber that also appears to have some rust. Possibly from when it was in the water (I've only done that once but just for a second, no idea about previous owners).

After doing this I will check the fuel pressure (hopefully a local auto parts store has one for loan, they look costly). There's a few Harbor Freights near me that I could look into to test compression.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 am

If fuel was streaming out, then the pressure regulator was definitely gone. Did you try starting the bike after you swapped the regulator?

The external appearance of the spark plug doesn't really matter, but if you've never changed it, then it's due. That small hole in the spark plug well is for water drainage in case water gets into the well. If you live in a place where temperatures get below freezing, then condensation may have formed and corroded the spark plug.

A fuel injector pressure kit is quite affordable at Harbor Freight, although if you opt for this, you will have to get a fuel line and some clamps from an auto parts store because the supplied hoses in the kit don't fit the WRR.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced   Not starting  AFTER fuel pump replaced Empty

Back to top Go down

Not starting AFTER fuel pump replaced
Page 1 of 1