Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.

Go down 
+2
4play
Beauregard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Beauregard

Beauregard

Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySat May 03, 2014 5:46 pm

So I replaced my fuel pump that was giving me issues with the Ca Cycle works fuel pump. I broke the cardinal rule and also removed the AIS and flapper while I was doing this. Once I put it all back together the bike will no longer start. It ran for about 3 seconds one time and then died (I was giving it throttle too).

I did initially have an error code 30 because my lean sensor was upside down, but even after I fixed that, and there are no longer any error codes, the bike still won't start. I hear the pump prime every time. I tested the pump and it is pumping fuel out although I have no idea what the PSI is. I didn't alter anything else. I have gone through every thing 10 times and I have no idea what could be wrong. I know the fuel line is not kinked as well and I can feel the fuel being pumped through the line when it primes. Also I know I have fuel.

Does anyone have any advice or help? I am at a loss for what to do next.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySat May 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Any chance you swapped the leads on the fuel pump? A pump running backwards won't put up much pressure.

Vacuum leak from disconnected hose?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySat May 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Air, fuel, spark.

1) is it possible by now you've flooded the bike?

2) ais and flapper - perhaps a vacuum line not plugged properly - or wrong line plugged?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 9:38 am

So i know I have spark.  There is only one vacum tube left after AIS and flapper removal and it was plugged.  I unplugged it to make sure that wasn't it.  Still no luck.  My old pump was working it would just overheat from time to time.  I put it back in and the bike still won't start so I don't think it is a fuel pump issue.  I checked all my fuses and they are fine.  My airbox is open so I know I have air.  I tied the ais and flapper module back and still no luck.  The pump leads are correct. They even make them different sizes so you can't screw it up so I am sure it is correct.

At this point all I know is that I have air fuel and spark so I think God is just punishing me for something I did.  I really don't know what to try next.  I even tried the fuel pump without the charcoal filter.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 10:33 am

Two things that I can think of...

You said you have spark but did you replace the spark plug. I hear a lot of stories on the forum with bikes not running or running poorly and the owners replace a perfectly good looking plug and then bingo it is running again.

In CO I took my bike for a swim and it would not start after checking things over. One of the issues I could not check on the trail was if it was getting fuel. So we towed it out and once we hit pavement I was able to bump start it and get it running again. Granted it ran like crap but after I got in town I found out that I had water in my crankcase. Four oil changes later everything was normal. My brother thought that the extra level in the crankcase was not allowing the engine to crank fast enough for the fuel injector to fire. Not sure if that is true but I would have loved to have some starting fluid on that trail just to try and validate the fuel part of the equation. Maybe pull the air filter and give it a shot of starting fluid to see if it will fire up.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 10:41 am

Also I just put the stock pump back in with the charcoal filter and it ran for about 1 second and then died. I unplugged the fuel hose and when the pump kicked on there was an obvious increase in pressure (IE the pump is pumping). I can't say the PSI but I can only assume it is good. Of course no other luck.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 10:50 am

Ok so I have narrowed down the problem. It is a fuel delivery problem. I tried starter fluid yesterday, but I guess I didn't have the right finess to make it work. Today however it would run with starter fluid. So for some reason the pump is not pumping correctly. I couldn't say why. I have heard that the charcoal filter can get clogged. I'm gonna try and clean it and see if that works.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 11:12 am

FIXED IT!  Sometimes I can be such a dumbass.  So there is apparently a o-ring on the nipple of the actual fuel pump.  I discovered this because I look into the inlet where the pump pushes the fuel and saw the o-ring bound up occluding the passageway.  Pulled the o-ring out and put is on the nipple like it should be and if fired right up no problems.  Thanks for the advice guys.  Here is a pic for illustration just in case someone else has the same problem.  

[img]Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. Imag0811[/img]
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 12:03 pm

I love a happy ending! thumb 
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Good deal! Thanks for the info! I just bought a fuel pump like yours and have been waiting to put it on. Mine stock pump started acting up about a month ago but seems good for now.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 2:24 pm

g

Last edited by Beauregard on Sun May 04, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. EmptySun May 04, 2014 2:24 pm

wristpin wrote:
Good deal! Thanks for the info!  I just bought a fuel pump like yours and have been waiting to put it on.  Mine stock pump started acting up about a month ago but seems good for now.

It really easy. I just had an issue with that one thing. Word of advice. I had to shave the tabs that hold the basket on the pump assmbly. I used a dremel and wore them down a good bit, but there was still just enough that the basket wouldn't fall off. Other than that it was pretty straight forward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.   Fuel pump replaced.  Now Bike won't start. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump replaced. Now Bike won't start.
Page 1 of 1