Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Airbox Flapper

Go down 
+12
WRoldman
SheWolf
Mr.Metal
olddog
treeklimber
gregli
markonfire
NorCalWR
malibu_dan
Krabill
YZEtc
Pancho
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Pancho

Pancho

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi folks, today while removing the sidestand switch, I was curious to see how the airbox flapper works, to my surprise, it didn't! Airbox Flapper Icon_scratch
The flapper is normally down, so it's "open", air passes without restrictions. When the ECU decides it, sends vaccum to the valve and the flapper goes up and "close" the air intake, even there's a smaller intake at the side that is alway unobstructed.
The fact is that the engine was warm, and when I started it, nothing happened with the flapper, gave it some gas on neutral, nothing. Then I thought it was speed related, so I placed the bike on a full stand, engaged a gear, but then again, nothing, no movement of the flapper. So now I don't know when it may "close" the air intake, maybe when it's cold? Who knows... Any experience/thoughts about this? At least with this short experience, I see no point on removing it.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 am

It'll work when you're out on the road and you open the throttle wide to accelerate.
So, just when you want a heaping handful of power, the flapper slams shut and makes the engine breathe through that small inlet hole.
This is why everybody removes it and installs a fuel injection programmer - it's not there to make the bike run at it's best; it's only there to allow the bike to pass tough sound tests, and a side effect of this is reduced performance.

Snapping the throttle in the garage probably ain't gonna' activate the flapper because the conditions aren't correct.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 10:56 am

He's right. It only works when the bike is in gear and moving. If you put your bike on a stand and put it in gear so the back wheel is turning you can watch it close as you open the throttle.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Krabill wrote:
He's right. It only works when the bike is in gear and moving. If you put your bike on a stand and put it in gear so the back wheel is turning you can watch it close as you open the throttle.

But before doing this, set up a video camera on a tripod and set the tape rolling. That way the $10K for 1st place will pay for a new bike and garage door.
Airbox Flapper 53647
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 6:26 pm

LMAO, thanks for the visual Dan I could just see the bike flying off the stand and ghost riding right through the door... Airbox Flapper 851577 Although I don't know if the 10k funniest home videos would be enough to repair your pride after something like that.
Back to top Go down
markonfire

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm

The engine is not under full load when you are testing it on the stand, that is probably why the flap will not shut.
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Quote :
The engine is not under full load when you are testing it on the stand, that is probably why the flap will not shut.

That's what I've thought...
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am

It doesn't need to be under load, it just needs to be in gear. I've done it on the stand in gear and you can watch it work that way.
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 8:37 am

I've done it in gear and didn't work, anyway I've already remove it! Airbox Flapper 810411
Back to top Go down
gregli

gregli

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: hi   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 am

I just plugged the vacum hose with a screw removed the celenoid valve.
Back to top Go down
treeklimber

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Did you notice any performance increase? Seems some have reported no difference.
Back to top Go down
gregli

gregli

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: hmm   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 pm

I feel a little difference nothing major,
Back to top Go down
olddog

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Should be a good increase , with top in and pick-up as the flapper is there to control intake noise.

Art
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Removing just the flapper with an otherwise stock bike probably won't do too much for you. I had that for a while, in fact I gutted the airbox (HF style) and ran it with the stock exhaust and EXUP. Didn't notice any real improvement. The super corked up stock exhaust is to blame here. You really have to open it up on both ends to feel any difference.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 9:19 pm

+10 Airbox Flapper 61865 Add a programmer and you're ready to rip up the ground. Airbox Flapper 93746

WRoldman

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 am

The world may never know the benefits of the flapper mod. I say this because I don't think anyone has done that mod last. I am in the camp of "no noticeable performance increase". However, being truly non-unique, disconnecting the flapper was the first thing I did to the bike. I fully removed it only because there were no negative effects of doing so & it removed some weight.

I fully agree with Mr. Metal's last post. So who is going to do the flapper last in order to settle this?
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

WRoldman wrote:

So who is going to do the flapper last in order to settle this?

I put my Mega-bomb and Q4 long before i did the Flapper/AIS/EXUP, etc...... Unfortunately, when i did do the mods i also installed a 12t upfront. So to add to the confusion. I have no idea if the flapper mod really gave a noticable performance increase.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 pm

So, people claim that the flapper closes on acceleration, correct? I don't know as I didn't have the thing long enough to even really look at it. Assuming it does close to some degree on acceleration, a test could be rather simple. Take your current setup (Q4, PowerBomb, programmer, whatever) and put a strip of duct tape across the front of the airbox inlet (assuming you still have the top piece). Don't tape up the whole thing, try a third, or maybe half of the inlet. Chances are you should notice a bit (if not more) of a performance decrease. That should simulate what the flapper does on acceleration... assuming that's how it works. Airbox Flapper Suspect

Honestly, though? Who cares? Why would you want to keep that damn flapper, solenoid, and accompanying hoses and crap under your seat anyway? I can't think of a reason NOT to remove it, even if your bike is going to remain completely stock. More (available) air is always a good thing on an EFI bike.

- A
Back to top Go down
subedai

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 am

WRoldman wrote:
The world may never know the benefits of the flapper mod. I say this because I don't think anyone has done that mod last. I am in the camp of "no noticeable performance increase". However, being truly non-unique, disconnecting the flapper was the first thing I did to the bike. I fully removed it only because there were no negative effects of doing so & it removed some weight.

I fully agree with Mr. Metal's last post. So who is going to do the flapper last in order to settle this?

If someone can tell me that if i rip it out its not going to change how lean the bike runs (i have fmf pipe but done nothing to intake yet)
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 am

I wouldn't have even put the pipe on before a fuel programmer, let alone opening up the airbox. You really should get a programmer before you do anything else.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 10:31 am

+1 on what Krabill said. But additional note: You don't need to rip out the flapper for test purposes. It is simple to disconnect. Remove the vacuum line from the solenoid on top of the airbox. Then plug the hose by the method of you liking (i like a golf tee & zip tie).
Back to top Go down
subedai

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 am

Krabill wrote:
I wouldn't have even put the pipe on before a fuel programmer, let alone opening up the airbox. You really should get a programmer before you do anything else.

Bike came with pipe new from dealer so i havent actually modified the bike at all yet technically :P
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:27 pm

The flapper is a noise emissions item, it will close in a certain gear at a certain speed at a certain throttle opening
It will only close when the factory want's it to so the bike will pass noise emissions, what it wont do is close at full throttle in top gear etc etc
It's very specific
Lot's of bikes have stuff like that, the last version of the R1, if you held the throttle in one spot for 10 seconds in second gear the bike would not rev up unless you changed gears, it's just a trick to make the bike legal
The flapper wont make the bike run lean or rich and it wont limit power, what it does is allow the bike to have full power 99% of the time and maybe it could decrease power slightly in very specific conditions but I cant imagine anyone feeling a loss of power If it closed at 1/2 throttle in 3rd gear @ 30mph
If anyone has access to the EPA testing regs you could reproduce it at will
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 5:06 pm

I would like to know when it was actually opening and closing ... although, it makes sense to come on only to reduce noise emissions, this is a fairly quiet machine to begin with. I would have guessed it has to do more with air flow at certain speeds.

Update ....

So I did a little searching around and found this comment in an article at this New Zealand site ( http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/ ):

Quote :
... Pulling it apart reveals the battery and airbox side by side, with the
filter hidden behind a couple of layers of plastic shroud. In the top of
the airbox are the usual nostrils with an interesting extra – a vacuum
actuated flap. At low throttle, high vacuum, when the motor is not using
a tremendous amount of air
, ie 100 kph cruise, the flap shuts off one
nostril to quiet it up. This increases rider comfort and helps it meet
Euro III drive-by noise tests. Complementing it is an EXUP-style exhaust
valve. Common to most big street bikes, it works by reducing exhaust
diameter to provide good back pressure and scavenging at low speeds, and
at high engine speeds it opens up to get good flow. Like the
self-closing nostril it also can be fiddled to ensure emissions meet
Euro test standards.

So, if they are correct, then it would appear that removing the flap would not improve any performance, but might actually reduce it. Of course if you are going to do a lot of mods, the full package, and remove EXUP, then might as well get rid of it ... however, those who are leaving the EXUP in place, it might be an adverse modification.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper   Airbox Flapper Empty

Back to top Go down

Airbox Flapper
Page 1 of 1