Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

exup removal code 17

Go down 
+4
squishi1993
greer
SheWolf
rodney
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rodney

exup removal code 17 Empty
PostSubject: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 2:53 pm

hey all, just a quick question regarding code 17... i just purchased a wr-x, with the exup removed. the bike has the typical code 17.

my question is whether power or runability are effected from this error code. if not, i will just ignore the light. if it does effect the bike in any way, i will get the graves exup eliminator. just trying to get some info before i plop $70 on the graves piece. thanks in advance. exup removal code 17 89954
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Hell, ten cents you get a resistor and do it yourself. exup removal code 17 61865

PostSubject: 99 cents   exup removal code 17 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 am

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793736

Sarah
Back to top Go down
rodney

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am

thanks ms. wolf & sarah. but, aside from the check engine light, there is no power loss without the resistor mod?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:43 am

No, you won't get any loss of power with the CEL. The only thing that would worry me tho, is with that code thrown and leaving it up, you won't be able to tell if (hopefully it won't ever happen) your ECU acts up, because code 17 also is part of that circuit. Code 12 also brings up ECU troubles, but being code 17 does also, that would drive me nuts. Just my two cents. I wouldn't be able to ride without that nagging in the back of my head, especially if I'm out riding and that ECU does decide to do something and the bike quits running. You're left with that CEL up and no way of knowing what might or might not be.

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

ms. wolf, you are the bestest! i owe you one exup removal code 17 204616 exup removal code 17 61865 turns out the bike had the servo motor, but it was half taken apart freezing the motor, thus causing the CEL. took apart the unit, plugged it back in, no more CEL. then I got some 10 ohm resistors from radio shack, followed your awesome instructions and buttoned her back up. no more CEL. thanks again, it is very much appreciated. exup removal code 17 983966 exup removal code 17 942737
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Glad you got it all worked out. exup removal code 17 61865 Now you can ride error free and feel confident everything is in order. exup removal code 17 810411

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Okay so what happens after that outlet was chewed up by the chain?
Back to top Go down
SomeGuyFromCali

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 pm

squishi1993 wrote:
Okay so what happens after that outlet was chewed up by the chain?

How bad did it get chewed up? Did you secure it up next to your battery after installing like SheWolf instructed? dddog

You could splice the cables directly to the resistor but make sure you insulate them with something like heat shrink or black tape so you don't create any shorts.

I actually soldered my exup servo circuit directly onto the wires when I built my exup replacement circuit doo-hickey back in 2009 based on drawings I saw on thumpertalk.
I never knew you could use just a single 10K 1/4 watt resistor Suspect
Why in the world did I ever build this thing when a single resistor would have done it? budah http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/597178-new-free-servo-sub-diagram/
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

need some help here. wr250r newbie.

i just put on an aftermarket exhaust. i've never done this before. i did lots of reading about the exup removal before putting the leo vince x3 on.

so.... i couldn't get the cables out from exup valve attached to the stock pipe, so i just cut them. i took them out on the other side of the bike. the pipe is gone, the valve is gone, and the cables are gone, BUT - i left the exup sitting there on the other side of the bike. i couldn't find an extension for my socket to get the damn thing out (if you saw my garage, you'd understand why, but that's another topic...). so i left it in there. i have a 10k 1/4w resistor waiting to go in there as soon as i get an extender for the socket to remove the exup.

now, in my attempt to remove the exup the other night, i unscrewed the cover of the unit, thinking i could get my socket closer to the bolt that was attaching it to the bike. no love, definitely going to have to get a socket extension. but i when i took the cover off, one of the little plastic gears dropped out. since the unit is no longer functioning (no cables, no valve), i didn't worry about putting that plastic gear thingie back in there. i just put the cover back on and closed it up. it's not really functioning anyway, right? (those of you who haven't ever opened the motor may not know what plastic gear thing i'm talking about, but if you've ever looked in there you'll know).

so - exup is still on there, plugged in, minus one little plastic gear inside of it. today, CEL light is thrown.

1) how do i see the code the CEL is throwing and know what the code means?
2) Why is the CEL on if i did not unplug the exup? could i have done something to damage the bike when changing the exhaust? (no header, just mid pipe and exhaust). i am clueless, after all.
3) if i broke my exup and can no longer plug it in to clear the CEL (if that is indeed the problem), how do i clear the CEL before putting the resistor in? from all accounts i have read, the resistor is not sufficient to clear the CEL, only to keep it from appearing once the CEL is cleared.

all help appreciated. :)

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Thumpergirl,

You must be talking about the servo motor for the EXUP system.

Just under the battery on that side of the bike?

Try to re-install what fell out.

Take a picture of whatever it is that fell out and post it here.

I disconnected my EXUP and removed the cables long ago. Left the servo motor in.
I've probably ridden 9000 miles that way.
Never an error code.

I even unscrewed servo, took pictures of it for this forum, disconnected and reconnected the servo, and put it back.

I can't think of what could have fallen off your servo motor that would result in a code being thrown.

Please post a picture of it if you can.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 6:22 pm

yes, i am referring to the exup motor. i removed 4 philips head screws in attempt to remove the horizontal bulk of the unit so that i could access the bolts that hold it onto the bike without a socket extension. i did not realize that by removing those 4 screws, that all of the gears would fall out of it.

so, i can't figure out how the heck it goes back together. there seem to be infinite combinations, none of which are working for me. here is the motor removed from the bike, and the gears i am talking about. if i can get it back together the right way, i can clear the CEL code (17).

i am wondering if there is a way to clear the code without having to plug in a working exup motor?

also, new exhaust smells a little hot. i suppose this is normal for a new exhaust?
exup removal code 17 Photo10
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Guess I don't need to say you removed the wrong screws...... poser2

Hold on....let me see if I can find a schematic.....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Quote :
here is the motor removed from the bike, and the gears i am talking about.

So you were able to remove the exup controller from the bike?

I think that once you get everything reassembled correctly and reinstalled on the bike, the CEL code will clear.

I have several complete assemblies and would be willing to work with you to reassemble your unit. I could take pictures or talk you through it over the phone. I would even send you one to install, if you want.

Contact me via email:
ramz@rickramsey.net
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

thanks - that would be GREAT if you could locate a schematic!

5 minute job turned into a 3 hour job. *sigh*

btw - i knew those were not the screws to get the motor off the bike, i was trying to take the cover off to shorten the horizontal distance to the 2 bolts that held the exup motor onto the frame because i didn't have a long enough socket to reach them. what i didn't know was that by taking those 4 screws off, the motor would relieve itself of all of its gears on my driveway. speaking of, i just found a 3rd gear in the driveway. back to the drawing board...

really appreciate your help.

also, if you know of another way to clear the code, i'm all ears. if i never have to figure out that servo motor gear puzzle, i'll be happy...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I can't find schematic of that part of servo motor.

If it's three little gears you're just going to have to play a puzzle game.

Put some fingernail polish (or sharpies) of different colors on each gear.

Then swap them around until it fits and works. The different colors will help you keep track of the possible combinations you tried.

I think once the code is thrown, the only way to clear it is by hooking the offending device back up.

You could try the resistor trick and see if that clears the code. The resistor tricks the CPU into thinking the servo is there.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

thumpergirl was able to get the servo working and the CEL cleared and suggested that I post the pictures of the partially disassembled servo:

exup removal code 17 WR250Rservo1

exup removal code 17 WR250Rservo2

exup removal code 17 WR250Rservo3

exup removal code 17 WR250Rservo4

Glad to help.
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 pm

i tried the resistor trick to clear the CEL to no avail. seems it will indeed only keep it from appearing in the first place, but it isn't enough to clear it.

rick ramsey kindly opened up a servo motor for me and took the very detailed pics posted above. that did the trick and i was able to get it reassembled and clear the code, then removed and it and inserted the resister, and voila! still no CEL light. whew.

for anyone else who is attempting to do this: i did have the gears put together correctly, plugged it in, turned the key - it made a hideous noise and the CEL light stayed on. I opened the unit to check it - everything was in the right place according the pics of the working motor... tried it again, a few times. eventually it stopped making the loud offending noise and worked. it appears that once it's been dismantled, it might take a few turns for everything inside there to line up properly. be sure to try turning your key several times if you think you have it right before giving up on your gear configuration.

clear as mud?

ramz - once again, thanks! thank you too, motokid, for your suggestions and assistance.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 7:57 am

Bottom line here folks, no need to disassemble the servo to remove it from the bike, and it might cause much bigger problems if you do. Very happy

Awesome pictures Ramz. Worth well more than a 1000 words. thumb

Glad it's all worked out with just a few minor headaches. Happy riding.

We got first frost here this morning. I hate winter.....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exup removal code 17   exup removal code 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

exup removal code 17
Page 1 of 1