Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

EXUP motor removal

Go down 
+19
greer
X-Racer
Gargoyle
Addicted
SheWolf
gas_pig70
Akoffroader
bocaj
Chrispy1200
oldirt
Steveakus
10Cup
Machtig
vwsandman
boogn1sh
Highfive
mwakey
mtb
eastcoastzigzag
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 am

So swaped out my stock pipes this weekend. Can I just unhook this boat anchor motor that ran this valve?
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 12:03 pm

If you wish to have a Check Engine Light (CEL)... by all means...

in order to prevent the CEL after the motor removal, you will need a servo sub (Steve the man! cheers )... you can either DIY it, or buy one from him...

since we are on this topic... I need some information too...

I am going to the agent next week to fix and fuel pump, and after that I am going to remove the servo motor and try to DIY the sub...

the question is:

How do I plug and sub to the connector? dunno

I haven't really taken a good look at the servo motor, but I fear the connection will be somewhat similar to the AIS and air flip, which could be quite troublesome if I want to find a "replacement" plug... On those 2 things, the plug is plugged to an equipment rather to another plug (Damn... it's hard to explain... can someone understand what I am trying to say? Shog )
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 1:48 pm

mtb wrote:
If you wish to have a Check Engine Light (CEL)... by all means...

in order to prevent the CEL after the motor removal, you will need a servo sub (Steve the man! cheers )... you can either DIY it, or buy one from him...

since we are on this topic... I need some information too...

I am going to the agent next week to fix and fuel pump, and after that I am going to remove the servo motor and try to DIY the sub...

the question is:

How do I plug and sub to the connector? dunno

I haven't really taken a good look at the servo motor, but I fear the connection will be somewhat similar to the AIS and air flip, which could be quite troublesome if I want to find a "replacement" plug... On those 2 things, the plug is plugged to an equipment rather to another plug (Damn... it's hard to explain... can someone understand what I am trying to say? Shog )

I understand what you mean. The harness on the bike has a plug on it and it plugs directly into the servo motor. So what you are asking it how to connect the servo sub to this harness plug? I would imagine you are going to have to cut the plug off the harness and splice the wires to the servo sub. Since a matching plug is not available to fab your own connector, I don't see much choice.

I could only offer this as an option if you don't feel good about cutting the factory harness. Find a similar type plug(s) that will accept the same size connectors on the wires, and remove the wires from the factory plug and use the other plug(s) to fab a servo sub connector. That way you can always return it to stock later.
Back to top Go down
Highfive

Highfive

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 pm

ZigZag....why would you want a "plug" connection? You planning to take it back off soon? Forget that. Cut the wires behind the plug and solder the leads directly to the Servo Sub, then seal them with heatshrink tube. Its a piece of cake following Steveakus directions/diagram....which he furnishes with his Sub.

But, let's back up to the beginning. You can simply disconnect and remove the two cables from the Servo Motor to the EXUP and leave the boat anchor on. that won't hurt a thing...nor will it cause an Engine Light to be triggered. Just saying this so everyone else who reads this thread knows thats an option.

If you want to lose the Servo Motor (aka boat anchor), you'll need the Servo Sub replacement in one form or another. If you just absolutely got to have a "plug & play" variety, then your best choice is to take the Servo Motor apart and use the "other half" of the plug that is built into the motor. Root around in there and dig it out. If you can't do that, then ship your Servo Motor to Steveakus....he'll do it for you (for a nominal fee). Then, you'll have a simple snap-in plug.

HF thumb
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Highfive wrote:
ZigZag....why would you want a "plug" connection? You planning to take it back off soon? Forget that. Cut the wires behind the plug and solder the leads directly to the Servo Sub, then seal them with heatshrink tube. Its a piece of cake following Steveakus directions/diagram....which he furnishes with his Sub.

But, let's back up to the beginning. You can simply disconnect and remove the two cables from the Servo Motor to the EXUP and leave the boat anchor on. that won't hurt a thing...nor will it cause an Engine Light to be triggered. Just saying this so everyone else who reads this thread knows thats an option.

If you want to lose the Servo Motor (aka boat anchor), you'll need the Servo Sub replacement in one form or another. If you just absolutely got to have a "plug & play" variety, then your best choice is to take the Servo Motor apart and use the "other half" of the plug that is built into the motor. Root around in there and dig it out. If you can't do that, then ship your Servo Motor to Steveakus....he'll do it for you (for a nominal fee). Then, you'll have a simple snap-in plug.

HF thumb

----thanks HF! i already pm'ed Steveakus on TT.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 pm

mwakey wrote:

I understand what you mean. The harness on the bike has a plug on it and it plugs directly into the servo motor. So what you are asking it how to connect the servo sub to this harness plug? I would imagine you are going to have to cut the plug off the harness and splice the wires to the servo sub. Since a matching plug is not available to fab your own connector, I don't see much choice.

I could only offer this as an option if you don't feel good about cutting the factory harness. Find a similar type plug(s) that will accept the same size connectors on the wires, and remove the wires from the factory plug and use the other plug(s) to fab a servo sub connector. That way you can always return it to stock later.

Thanks Mark... you understand me well wink
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 9:30 am

I did my servo sub today... (Thanks Steve! cheers )

It is not the best looking sub you can have... but it works wink

EXUP motor removal Photo0117
EXUP motor removal Photo0116

But I have a question...

When I was shopping for the materials, I came across 3 different diodes which are about the same size, namely 4002, 4003, and 5817...

As I am a retard in electronics, I bought 2 each, but only used the 4002...

What is the difference and effect of different diodes used?

Is the 4002 I used ok for this application?

Someone help me please Shog
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Just so its clear   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 am

Cables connected to EXUP valve (silver cap/cover removed)
EXUP motor removal Naked006

Cables after being disconnected from EXUP (right side)
EXUP motor removal Naked008

Servo motor that EXUP cables are connected to (left side) AKA: Boat Anchor
EXUP motor removal Naked019
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 pm

6 Pole .090 Waterproof Connector Male Half for servo sub replacement can be found here:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Waterproof_Connectors/FKWH/fkwh.html
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Boat anchor removed
EXUP motor removal Naked032

Removing the "boat anchor" leaves a nice sized empty space below battery
EXUP motor removal Naked033

Remove bushings from EXUP motor and re-use them to mount the plate under battery
EXUP motor removal Naked035
EXUP motor removal Naked038
Back to top Go down
Machtig

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Nice work on the home grown servo sub. I just took the lazy route and bought one from Steve and just soldered and heat shrinked (get the marine grade--it has glue in that seals the connection) it in. Works like a charm thumb
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Question I have is what keeps the exup valve in the open position with the cables removed? Unhooking the cables looks like an easy and cheap quick fix but I sure wouldn't want the exup to be in the closed position or flapping around etc.

TIA
10Cup
Back to top Go down
Machtig

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 12:36 pm

If you still have the stock header and muffler, I'm not sure I'd remove it. I think it would do more harm than good.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 1:00 pm

10Cup wrote:
Question I have is what keeps the exup valve in the open position with the cables removed? Unhooking the cables looks like an easy and cheap quick fix but I sure wouldn't want the exup to be in the closed position or flapping around etc.

TIA
10Cup

I'm with Machtig, I'm not sure removing it would do much good without a new pipe and/or header, but I could be wrong. But to answer your question more directly; The EXUP valve is spring loaded, so when the cables are removed the spring holds the valve open.
Back to top Go down
Steveakus

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:40 am

Hey guys, I just signed up here and if you all have any more questions about the exup servo sub, Im happy to help anyway I can.

and about those diodes the 4002 is fine, I think I typically use the 4001 difference is volt rating 4002=100piv and 4001=50piv, the main thing is make sure they are rectifyer and make sure to have the cathode or stripe towards the white/red wire........

just for those that dont feel like jumping over to TT here is the Free DIY Diagram again........

EXUP motor removal SimpleDiagram
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 am

Steveakus wrote:

and about those diodes the 4002 is fine, I think I typically use the 4001 difference is volt rating 4002=100piv and 4001=50piv, the main thing is make sure they are rectifyer and make sure to have the cathode or stripe towards the white/red wire........

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the clarification... you are the man! thumb

The 02 and 01.... how does the PIV affect the circuit if at all? Shog

I mean... will the difference in PIV value create some effect that we can actually "feel" it? scratch
Back to top Go down
Steveakus

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm

The maximum reverse-bias voltage that a diode can withstand without “breaking down” is called the Peak Inverse Voltage, or PIV rating

the PIV rating of a diode varies with temperature, except that PIV increases with increased temperature and decreases as the diode becomes cooler

since we are only using 4v on one and 10 to 12 v on the other voltage divider, you will not see any difference in the bikes performance, or problems using the 50piv 4001 or equivelent.....
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 4:37 pm

For those thinking of removing the cables and leaving the stock exhaust:

I would not recommend this, with the cables attached it prevents the flap from rattling around.
I did this to test the effect on performance with and without, I could not determine a benefit one way or the other.
All I noticed was this annoying rattle going on. Save this for a new pipe.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 pm

OK, I ain't real swift around electricity .......... but how come your circuit only uses five resistors (20k, 10k, 7.5k and two 3.3k)and the board above from mtb has 9 ? Is he using other resistors than the ones you show to get the required resistance ? mtb ?

Steveakus wrote:
Hey guys, I just signed up here and if you all have any more questions about the exup servo sub, Im happy to help anyway I can.

just for those that dont feel like jumping over to TT here is the Free DIY Diagram again........

EXUP motor removal SimpleDiagram
Back to top Go down
bocaj

bocaj

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 pm

I removed my cables left stock pipe... kinda. I welded the exup valve open. and cut the muffler open and cutout the cat and opened the baffle a little. welded a 1.25" tail pipe on the back.

not as nice as an fmf but it didn't cost much and now i can hear it when im on the highway
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:
OK, I ain't real swift around electricity .......... but how come your circuit only uses five resistors (20k, 10k, 7.5k and two 3.3k)and the board above from mtb has 9 ? Is he using other resistors than the ones you show to get the required resistance ? mtb ?

Hi Chrispy,

The photos I posted are based on his earlier diagrams... And what Steve posted is the updated diagram, which I am actually using right now...

With the new diagram, the size of the sub is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the older version

Hope that helps Very happy
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Steveakus wrote:
The maximum reverse-bias voltage that a diode can withstand without “breaking down” is called the Peak Inverse Voltage, or PIV rating

the PIV rating of a diode varies with temperature, except that PIV increases with increased temperature and decreases as the diode becomes cooler

since we are only using 4v on one and 10 to 12 v on the other voltage divider, you will not see any difference in the bikes performance, or problems using the 50piv 4001 or equivelent.....

Aye aye sir... thanks for the time and explanation again thumb
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: EXUP   EXUP motor removal EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Steve

Do you build a removal module? If so how much are they and how would I order one??

Thank you.

Greg
Back to top Go down
gas_pig70

gas_pig70

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 3:37 am

Akoffroader wrote:
Hi Steve

Do you build a removal module? If so how much are they and how would I order one??

Thank you.

Greg

lurk
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 8:49 am

PM him, guys. He'll get back to you, he's pretty good that way. thumb

EXUP motor removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXUP motor removal   EXUP motor removal Empty

Back to top Go down

EXUP motor removal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next