Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

AIS Removal

Go down 
+9
drater
ZED
SheWolf
mwakey
Machtig
Krabill
shredak
mtb
boogn1sh
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
drater

drater

AIS Removal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 pm

you are good shewolf, you are good! thumb
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 11:37 pm

drater wrote:
yeah your right, cali model. what do i do with all these hoses?

You are confusing the AIS with your California charcoal canister on the front of the frame. That is not tied into the AIS.

The AIS is the same for 49 State bikes as for Cali bikes. What you have different is the charcoal canister on the front where the skid plate should go. It has a vent hose from the fuel tank to the canister. And another hose out to the throttle body to reburn the nasty fumes from your fuel tank instead of venting them into the pristene California air. There is a check valve on the hose from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister that prevents fuel from leaking onto the pristene California soil when you tip the bike over. Your gas cap is non-vented. The fuel tank vents through this charcoal canister. The rest of us in the 49 States have a vented gas cap and no charcoal canister. We like the smell of gas in the morning. Very happy

Now take all that hose and crap off and trade me your Cali fuel tank for my 49 State tank and we'll call this little chat even. I need it for my aux fuel tank experiment we were talking about. You sent me pictures, remember?
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 7:43 pm

yeah i remember, all that just to put a skid plate on? stupid california horse

about the trade, scratch not going to happen soon, back to the drawing board, rethink my set up.

thanks tho, way to much crap on these cali models.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 8:23 pm

drater wrote:
yeah i remember, all that just to put a skid plate on? stupid california horse

about the trade, scratch not going to happen soon, back to the drawing board, rethink my set up.

thanks tho, way to much crap on these cali models.

Well the trade idea was worth a shot. Very happy

If I were you and had a Cali bike I would do one of three things...

1. If you have to go through vehicle inspections where you live, then keep the bike stock (boring option)

2. Move to a different state where you can mod that sucker to the max and not have to worry about the Smog Police. (expensive option)

3. Take the charcoal canister, hoses, AIS and all the crap that goes with it and chuck it in the dumpster. Buy a full exhaust system, maybe even a programmer and enjoy the bike the way it was meant to be enjoyed, not the way some tree hugger forces you to ride it. (slightly cheaper than moving to a different state)
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 pm

i hear you and agree fully! i need to look into the recent smog rules and see if it has to go through the smog check again. sad isn't it?

CLOSE IT ALL that's what you hear around this place, oh yeah, the sound of hugs to. puke
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm

scratch So just to clarify horse, by removing the AIS and disconnecting the sensor plug, has anyone experienced the bike throwing error codes?
Back to top Go down
sock monkey

sock monkey

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 pm

whitea42 wrote:
scratch So just to clarify horse, by removing the AIS and disconnecting the sensor plug, has anyone experienced the bike throwing error codes?

Short answer is "no".

Longer answer is don't bother removing it unless you remove the stock exhaust because the AIS is there to help the CAT in the stock exhaust come up to temp faster. If you ARE removing the stock exhaust, then you'll need to remove the EXUP, and THAT will throw a code unless you buy/install a servo eliminator. I used the 12'oclock labs part and it worked great. thumb

-SM
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 am

10K 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor in the plug... works great too. Sealed it in with silicone, taped it too.
$1.87 or such from Radio shack... for an 8 pack.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 am

You can remove AIS, EXUP and stock exhaust (without removing the EXUP servo motor) and have no codes thrown.

Just an FYI.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sock monkey

sock monkey

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 pm

motokid wrote:
You can remove AIS, EXUP and stock exhaust (without removing the EXUP servo motor) and have no codes thrown.

Just an FYI.

Correct. If you leave the EXUP servo motor in place, no codes thrown. But why leave it there if the EXUP valve is gone? dunno

-SM
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 pm

sock monkey wrote:
motokid wrote:

Just an FYI.

Correct. If you leave the EXUP servo motor in place, no codes thrown. But why leave it there if the EXUP valve is gone? dunno

-SM

1) to get no codes
2) easily replace stock stuff if you have to
3) removing it does what?
4) yeah okay - it removes maybe one pound of weight

Mainly - #1

Some people spend almost $60 dollars to get some fancy pos from Graves so they can eliminate that motor?????

The resistor "trick" is the perfect fix - but it really doesn't provide any benefit in the grand scheme of things.

Leaving the servo is easy, cheap, and easy. Don't forget, it's free.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sock monkey

sock monkey

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:05 pm

motokid wrote:

1) to get no codes
2) easily replace stock stuff if you have to
3) removing it does what?
4) yeah okay - it removes maybe one pound of weight

Mainly - #1

Some people spend almost $60 dollars to get some fancy pos from Graves so they can eliminate that motor?????

The resistor "trick" is the perfect fix - but it really doesn't provide any benefit in the grand scheme of things.

Leaving the servo is easy, cheap, and easy. Don't forget, it's free.

2) But if you've removed the AIS, you already have a bit of "fun" going back to totally stock, no?

3) Removes a useless (since you've removed the stock pipe and EXUP valve) electro-mechanical device that could cause issues down the road.

4) Couldn't care less about the weight. You'll never notice it. My primary reason is #3 (less "junk" just hanging off the bike waiting to fail).

To each their own. Just seemed odd to leave it there when it serves no purpose.....and as you said, a $2 resister solves the code issue if you pull it, then you never have to worry about it again. thumb I didn't go that route because I don't think anyone knows what effect a constant resistance might present to the ECU, but I haven't heard anyone having a problem either. dunno

-SM
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:17 am

Do i need to remove the AIS? I installed a Powerbomb header and pc5. I have no popping- sounds, but the header gets realy hot (in the night i could see the header glow). Header is purple and blue now...
What to do with the airbox- ther is a pipe from the airbox to the AIS- if i remove the whole thing, i have an open plug at the airbox- how do you close this???
Think i tape it...
Could anyone write the distance between the holes for the bolts, in the plate. I'm at work cant scale it but could make a new closed plate (to close the cylinder-head)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AIS Removal   AIS Removal - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

AIS Removal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2